Linked Events

• Dunwich Dynamo XVI, 9pm start: 19 July, 2008 - 20 July, 2008

Author Topic: It's the Dunwich Dynamo, 19/20 July 2008  (Read 90921 times)

Maladict

Re: It's the Dunwich Dynamo, 19/20 July 2008
« Reply #750 on: 23 July, 2008, 12:09:30 pm »
If both the mirrors were obscured (as annie's comment suggests) then I think that's an offence since then there would be no useful rear visibility.

In which case to be legal you'd need mirror extenders just like a caravan requires.

annie

« Reply #751 on: 23 July, 2008, 12:57:37 pm »
If both the mirrors were obscured (as annie's comment suggests) then I think that's an offence since then there would be no useful rear visibility.

In which case to be legal you'd need mirror extenders just like a caravan requires.

He said that both mirrors were obscured.  I would need to load up some bikes and take some pics, that won't happen until next week as I don't have the time at the moment.

I see many people carrying bikes like this and have never seen mirror extensions.

As this caused me such a huge problem I have purchased another carrier, with lighting board attached, so that problem will be resolved.  As for the mirrors, I don't have a clue.

Thank you to everyone for your comments.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #752 on: 23 July, 2008, 01:05:21 pm »
Personally, I think he was a miserable jobsworth with a small willy and zero personality...

...but maybe I'm biased.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

annie

« Reply #753 on: 23 July, 2008, 01:24:10 pm »
Personally, I think he was a miserable jobsworth with a small willy and ero personality...

...but maybe I'm biased.

I think you may be right.

I didn't mention Armpit CandyTM to him just in case he arrested me.
 ;)

ronstrutt

« Reply #754 on: 23 July, 2008, 03:00:56 pm »
No comfort to you, I know, but the reason you were done is because there's a big purge on 'illegal' numberplates at the moment. This is tied in with the ever-wider introduction of ANPR - Automatic Number Plate Recognition - which instantly reads a number plate, checks whether the vehicle is stolen or otherwise wanted in connection with crime, and is taxed, and insured. It is having a lot of major successes in many areas of policing.

In particular, a high proportion of serious motoring offences (and collisions) are committed by the untaxed and uninsured so ANPR is helping to get them off the road.

For this to work, of course, requires all numberplates to be clearly visible and the present 'no tolerance' approach is intended to achieve that.

Had he been a real jobsworth he would almost certainly have given you a handful of penalty notices, for obstructed lights, mirrors, etc.

« Reply #755 on: 23 July, 2008, 03:29:46 pm »
Shame Annie, poor you!  In fairness, I'm tempting fate on this myself, since I also don't have a proper number and lights board for my carrier.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #756 on: 23 July, 2008, 04:44:57 pm »

When I had a broken wing mirror, the BiB told me that I just needed TWO mirrors - so one wing + rear was enough, or 2 wings in the case of vans etc.

So if you're carrying stuff that blocks out the rear-view mirror, I guess you need to adjust/reduce it to avoid blocking the view from wing mirrors (hence peeps have mentioned removing bike wheels).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #757 on: 23 July, 2008, 09:49:45 pm »
Yup, anyone who has a mind to cause chaos simply needs to leave early with a stash of jam jars and candles.
Oh the temptation! :demon: :demon:
What radius circular route would be optimum?  Too large, and the riders will spend hours in the wrong direction.  Too small, and the tight turns will be too evident.  A circle of about a mile seems about right - how many people can we get to go round in circles?  And how many laps will it take before they catch on?
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #758 on: 23 July, 2008, 11:27:12 pm »
I suppose the question is, Annie, could you see behind you using the wing mirrors? I was asleep at the time, but you knew the police car was behind you and that he wanted you to pull over. Was this through thought transference or did you see him in your mirror?

If you could see him, he was talking demonstrable rubbish.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #759 on: 23 July, 2008, 11:32:43 pm »
I suppose the question is, Annie, could you see behind you using the wing mirrors? I was asleep at the time, but you knew the police car was behind you and that he wanted you to pull over. Was this through thought transference or did you see him in your mirror?

If you could see him, he was talking demonstrable rubbish.

Agreed
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]