Author Topic: Falling back in love  (Read 7171 times)

border-rider

Falling back in love
« on: 09 July, 2008, 12:18:00 pm »
I've not ridden fixed since November </confession>

A combination of playing with the trike and doing other stuff, really.  Plus being a bit bored with the whole fixed thing.

Having moved here, I've been out on the lanes with a geared bike, never used the big ring all day, and decided that fixed would be a bit of a struggle.

But last night (sunny & warm ;) ) I put a 56" gear on the Ti On-One and took to the lanes.  What fun ! It's a X bike really, and with 32 mm tyres and that lovely gear we were charging about apace.  The lanes are so tiny and gnarly here it's a bit like offroad anyway.  So much more fun than gears.

I can't wait for the rain to stop :)

Julian

• samoture
Re: Falling back in love
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2008, 12:23:11 pm »
I love that feeling.

Last night was good for riding - Charlotte & I took the tandem out on the club ride and left the coach behind for about twenty seconds:D

It was so much fun that this morning's rainy commute still seemed like a bonus rather than a chore.

« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2008, 01:17:15 pm »
Yesterday I was coming back from a S24O (well; more like S30O, but there we go), pottering along the A21 laden with baggages, when past me there zooms a chap on a posh racing bike, full team strip lycra & all.  I was unable to resist the impulse to give chase; stopped when I was satisfied that I'd have caught him in another couple of seconds, because I didn't want to start playing silly buggers on a rather fast & busy road.  That was fun :) 

Today however the knee is doing an achey thing & I am bloody knackered & I confess that working from home & thus getting out of the rainy commute seemed like something of a blessing :(  (In my defence: as well as the 180k or so with touring load on Monday/Tuesday, when I got back in yesterday I had to take the trailer up to Kings X to haul large quantities of newspaper around.  They're heavy buggers, newspapers.)

« Reply #3 on: 09 July, 2008, 01:20:19 pm »
I used Fixed last week for the first time since before October. It was hard for me, my butt hurt. It was easier today and maybe, just maybe we shall renew our vows (an buy that Milwaukee)

« Reply #4 on: 09 July, 2008, 01:36:27 pm »
I've just done another fixed 600 — a wet one this time, just for variety — and got my first fixed SR for seven or so years...

...and I enjoyed it, especially getting up hills quicker than Mr L on gears.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 09 July, 2008, 01:41:16 pm »
Congratulations, Ian!

Despite managing a fixed 600 last year, I have still to get my fixed SR - it's a goal for this year  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 09 July, 2008, 01:43:29 pm »
I've had 10 days off the bike (been away). It's bliss to be back riding, even in all this rain.

« Reply #7 on: 09 July, 2008, 01:46:25 pm »
Congratulations, Ian!

Despite managing a fixed 600 last year, I have still to get my fixed SR - it's a goal for this year  :)

My first Fixed SR (and first SR) to be completed next weekend.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 09 July, 2008, 01:51:11 pm »

*gasp - thud*
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 09 July, 2008, 01:52:22 pm »
Congratulations, Ian!

You've done the difficult bit. I can recommend the Rural South 300, and the  Brevet Cymru and Severn Across 400s. Done all of those more than once on fixed. I won't suggest my 600...unless you want to develop legs like MV's.

Elleigh

« Reply #10 on: 09 July, 2008, 01:57:56 pm »
I have done very little riding this year because I had a mild stroke in Jan, but I went out for a little pootle this morning.  So for me, it is getting old daisy out and riding her up the road.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 09 July, 2008, 02:11:23 pm »
Congratulations, Ian!

You've done the difficult bit. I can recommend the Rural South 300, and the  Brevet Cymru and Severn Across 400s. Done all of those more than once on fixed. I won't suggest my 600...unless you want to develop legs like MV's.

I DNF'd the Severn Across on fixed this year.

I am are a wuss  :(
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #12 on: 09 July, 2008, 02:17:47 pm »
Oddly enough I rode the fixed every day, last week, after not riding it at all since I crashed it last November. I absolutely loved it.

I've decided it's not one to ride in winter weather as it is inherently less controllable for a variety of reasons.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 09 July, 2008, 02:21:50 pm »
I wanted to ride fixed this week, but I wimped out because I didn't want to get my Carlton wet :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #14 on: 09 July, 2008, 02:27:00 pm »
I wanted to ride fixed this week, but I wimped out because I didn't want to get my Carlton wet :-[
I ride Fixed because it might rain, it's my wet commuter.

« Reply #15 on: 09 July, 2008, 02:31:13 pm »

I DNF'd the Severn Across on fixed this year.

I am are a wuss  :(

We all have bad days.

border-rider

« Reply #16 on: 09 July, 2008, 03:57:02 pm »

*gasp - thud*

Stand easy, I just remembered that PeterM and I rode our Pompinos from Lambourn to Hungerford to control on Manotea's Willy Warmer at the end of January ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 09 July, 2008, 04:00:26 pm »
Still - quite surprising, mate.  You sure you feeling OK? ;D

You all inspire me - I need to get the Carlton moving... :)

*waiting for some bits from Carradice*
Getting there...

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #18 on: 09 July, 2008, 04:13:06 pm »
I've decided it's not one to ride in winter weather as it is inherently less controllable for a variety of reasons.

Interested to hear those!

border-rider

« Reply #19 on: 09 July, 2008, 05:04:06 pm »
I think there's 2 things going on

You def. get more feedback about poor traction and you can brake using legs, and you can ride on snow easier because you can power it through  the dead spot - positives.

But: once you know you're ice I think there's less control.  On a  freewheel you can freeze and balance, and make tiny, tiny adjustments to stay upright until you've got through.  On fixed you (or at least I) have two massive counterweights thrashing up-and-down and even with amazing souplesse it's harder to stay upright.  And on downhills the bike is more skippy.

There's a reason not many people rode fixed offroad you know :)

« Reply #20 on: 09 July, 2008, 05:04:30 pm »

Interested to hear those!

MP's sheer horsepower is just too dangerous in the snow and wet.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

« Reply #21 on: 09 July, 2008, 05:06:21 pm »
There's a reason not many people rode fixed offroad you know :)

A few months back at a local bike swap/sale, I saw a mountain-bike rear wheel with a fixed cog for sale cheap. I grabbed it, wander around the sale picking up other stuff, then suddenly came to my senses and put the fixed wheel back.  :)
scottclark.photoshelter.com

« Reply #22 on: 09 July, 2008, 05:09:41 pm »
Fixed off road is fun  :thumbsup:

border-rider

« Reply #23 on: 09 July, 2008, 05:10:42 pm »
That was one of those pivotal moments in your life Scott.  If you'd kept it, your life could have changed forever. Think where you could be now...

...and whether your medical insurance would cover it :)

border-rider