Author Topic: What are you having for supper tonight?  (Read 339813 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: What are you having for supper tonight?
« Reply #2900 on: 05 October, 2016, 09:06:41 pm »
Roast chicken, potatoes & veg, when Sir returns at about 22.00

ian

« Reply #2901 on: 05 October, 2016, 09:33:38 pm »
A southern pepper curry. Out of a packet because I'm lazy. Actually, the Spice Tailor stuff makes a pretty good curry with next to no faff and appears comprised of real ingredients. I throw it and some chicjen in the slow cooker at lunchtime and spend the rest of day marinating in my own saliva as my house takes on the aroma of an Indian restaurant.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2902 on: 05 October, 2016, 11:07:53 pm »
I had a Spice Tailor freebie from Sainsbury's and wasn't tempted to pay for a repeat.
My roast dinner was pretty lazy but only the gravy granules were 'manufactured'.

« Reply #2903 on: 06 October, 2016, 06:30:39 pm »
Venison

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2904 on: 06 October, 2016, 06:35:41 pm »
Think it needs to hang a bit...

ian

« Reply #2905 on: 06 October, 2016, 07:42:34 pm »
A southern pepper curry. Out of a packet because I'm lazy. Actually, the Spice Tailor stuff makes a pretty good curry with next to no faff and appears comprised of real ingredients. I throw it and some chicjen in the slow cooker at lunchtime and spend the rest of day marinating in my own saliva as my house takes on the aroma of an Indian restaurant.

Hmm. I'm a fan of their fiery goan and southern pepper curries. I think all the ones I've had have been fine – they can be bit variable which may mean they're not entirely made by machines – and certainly as good as I can make (lacking the impatience to grind up fresh spices and taking authenticity to the point of spending the following two days clutching my gut and trying not to vomit and shit at the same time), and about six million light years better than the average muck a takeaway spews out.

I always throw it all in the slow cooker and leave all day. I don't think I've ever tried to cook it as per the instructions. It's been pointed out I don't follow instructions. To be fair, I excuse myself by never reading the instructions. Life is better with the mystery.

Tonight I'm eating best before the day before yesterday cauliflower cheese soup and some pecan spelt bread that is contemplating a buttery future in the bread machine as I write. As my wife is going away tomorrow she says we can declare tonight a honorary weekend night and break out the gin. I think I have all the major food groups covered.

« Reply #2906 on: 06 October, 2016, 07:46:41 pm »
Think it needs to hang a bit...

C'est corigé! Sadly I haven't the facilities. I do have a cool shed under a beech tree, but it's still too warm and damp in Somerset. Interestingly it wasn't flies circling me this evening while I was prepping the deer. It was wasps!

« Reply #2907 on: 09 October, 2016, 08:29:07 pm »
Fish/seafood risotto. And very nice it was too  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

simonp

« Reply #2908 on: 11 October, 2016, 12:45:36 am »
Last night was Doro Wat (Ethiopian chicken curry). And for lunch today. And ther a still some left for tomorrow.

Tonight there were some steaks. But I get bored of frying them and serving with the same stuff all the time so tonight I cut them into strips and we had beef in black bean sauce.

« Reply #2909 on: 12 October, 2016, 11:00:35 pm »
Lamb stew. I set it simmering nice & early, being at home (work early today: "Can you do this by 17.30 Tokyo time?" "Hai, Kyoko, I can do it"). Home-grown veg chucked in, whole peppercorns (luvverly bursts of flavour). Tender & tasty. 

Mrs B is taking leftovers to work for lunch tomorrow. She's left enough for me.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2910 on: 18 October, 2016, 05:41:02 pm »
Am making a sweet potato, spinach and dhall.

Nice an spicy to remove my cold.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2911 on: 19 October, 2016, 07:46:46 pm »
very nice roast squash with some griddled runner beans and griddled, boned, jerk marinaded chicken thighs.

have I got my adjectives in the right order?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2912 on: 30 October, 2016, 05:59:05 pm »
A day of running round after toddlers called for a lazy meal, so stuck a supermarket beef pie in the oven, and made some root vegetable mash and greens. Beer alongside, anna panna cotta to finish.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2913 on: 30 October, 2016, 07:17:55 pm »
I am stewing diced beef with tomatoes and vegetables.
This lean mix migh help compensate for last night's rich curry.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2914 on: 30 October, 2016, 07:21:40 pm »
There was some rather nice-looking pork shoulder at £5.99 a kilo in Waitrose this morning, so that is what we are having for dinner. Roasted taters, carrots & parsnips with cauliflower.

Sadly, the meat has no proper crackling on it but a sheet of artificial crackling that has been glued on, and didn't seem to respond at all to being bunged in a pre-heated oven at gas mark 9. I don't know why they bother with that crap.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2915 on: 01 November, 2016, 10:47:09 am »
Just stuck some shin beef, veg, and the best part of a bottle of red in the slow cooker; am thinking I'll go Italian this evening and serve it with polenta, bitter greens, and with some gremolata on top.

« Reply #2916 on: 01 November, 2016, 12:11:18 pm »
Ragu Bolognese, Marcella Hazan stylee. With papardelle for me and tagliatelle for my wife.

« Reply #2917 on: 01 November, 2016, 08:42:23 pm »
Just stuck some shin beef, veg, and the best part of a bottle of red in the slow cooker; am thinking I'll go Italian this evening and serve it with polenta, bitter greens, and with some gremolata on top. I

A pass through the supermarket's reduced aisle came up with rainbow chard and calabrese and romanesco broccoli as sides and lemon tart for dessert. Reader, it was utterly delicious.

« Reply #2918 on: 02 November, 2016, 05:06:17 pm »
Pizza or gammon depending on which has the longest date.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2919 on: 02 November, 2016, 05:08:18 pm »
Salmon (use by today) baked in the oven with butter.  New potatoes, microwave veg.  Nom.

Ooh and I've got some nice pomegranate juice to drink with it  :thumbsup:
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #2920 on: 02 November, 2016, 08:29:51 pm »
Omelettes.. one tomato and cheese, one ham and cheese. Eggs from half a mile away. Yum.

« Reply #2921 on: 03 November, 2016, 10:25:25 am »
Tonight's repast will be grilled pork sausages (our butchers own mix), grilled stuffed (with onion, garlic, parsley and breadcrumbs, drizzled with olive oil) portobello mushrooms, and buttered leeks.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #2922 on: 03 November, 2016, 05:09:07 pm »
I had some venison and it was most scrummy.

« Reply #2923 on: 03 November, 2016, 05:26:08 pm »
I had some venison and it was most scrummy.

« Reply #2924 on: 03 November, 2016, 06:38:42 pm »
We had 'I've found this in the freezer and we ought to use it up before I start to fill the freezer up again for Christmas' chilli. It was pretty good but I have a feeling the reason it was in the freezer in the first place was that we didn't think it would make a complete meal for the two of us so we may be hungry later.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."