Author Topic: Tornado (warning anorak content)  (Read 2044 times)

Martin

Tornado (warning anorak content)
« on: 03 November, 2011, 11:19:11 pm »
possibly the most famous steam engine since 4472 Flying Scotsman; this isn't just a kettle, he/she's brand spanking new, redesigned and refined from the original, named after a jet fighter and has even appeared on Top Gear;

I finally copped the beast on Saturday and what a beauty; there are even high intensity headlights inside those quaint white boxes

Re: Tornado (warning anorak content)
« Reply #1 on: 04 November, 2011, 01:24:11 am »
Good picture, Martin.  I copped it at Heywood on the East Lancs. Railway, last December.  It is very evocative for me because not only was it built in Darlo (I'm from neighbouring Stockton, originally) but it's from a class of engine that hauled me away from home to the boarding school I was sent to when my dad died.  I think the name plate is a bit excessive and rather along the Southern Region Clan Line "line".  What do you think?

« Reply #2 on: 04 November, 2011, 11:02:51 am »
Hasn't RogerT of this parish spent some time on the footplate of this?

Me?
Envious?

Nah.

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 04 November, 2011, 11:04:56 am »
I think the nameplate is just plain wrong where it is; they should either be a simple rectangular name on the smoke deflectors or the ones it had should be above the central driving wheel;

down my way they are trying the same thing with an LBSCR Marsh Atlantic, don't know why, they were hideous  :sick:

« Reply #4 on: 04 November, 2011, 07:08:57 pm »
I think the nameplate is just plain wrong where it is; they should either be a simple rectangular name on the smoke deflectors or the ones it had should be above the central driving wheel;

Exactly

Edit:  Just had a look at the Marsh - not pretty, true, but don't you think its fire-box is a little Gresley-esque?  Probably vice-versa, actually!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 04 November, 2011, 09:29:43 pm »
I reckon they should rebuild Turbomotive, which looked a bit different and worked better than a normal locomotive.  They only rebuilt it as a piston engine because it broke down during the war, when there wasn't the money or the inclination to fix the turbine.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 04 November, 2011, 09:32:44 pm »
Wow.  Never heard of that.  Had lots of potential.
Getting there...