Author Topic: ctc rally york 2012  (Read 50669 times)

ctc rally york 2012
« on: 01 December, 2011, 08:39:38 pm »
Last years meeting was really rather good (read fab) and from memory included guided night rides, cake, barm cakes, midnight feasts, poo sticks, twig powered tea making, the odd planetorium, Crinkly breakfast, railway history, drive in cinema, bemused residents, and even beer. Is something similar likely to happen next year?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

clarion

• Tyke
Re: ctc rally york 2012
« Reply #1 on: 01 December, 2011, 09:10:57 pm »
I should say so!

We wouldn't want to miss York.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 01 December, 2011, 09:13:52 pm »
Seems likely.  May even manage to drag barakta along.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3 on: 01 December, 2011, 09:19:35 pm »
I might make the effort for 2012 - and I'll bring Pugsley with me1
Inappropriate bikes FTW ;D

1 - this sorta-kinda makes me hope that it'll piss down and there'll be loads of mud. On past experiences I probably won't have to hope too hard.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4 on: 01 December, 2011, 09:23:08 pm »
I am really hoping to do York this time as I have missed the past few, sad memories that I haven't dealt with too well. 2012 will be a positive Rally Event for me :)
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

gordon taylor

« Reply #5 on: 01 December, 2011, 09:23:21 pm »
What dates?

I could look it up, of course, but....  ::-)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6 on: 01 December, 2011, 09:33:26 pm »
23rd-24th June 2012

Looks like I won't be going after all, since it clashes with the Mille Alba :( Arsebiscuits!

Anyone interesting in house-sitting for the duration? (semi-serious here)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7 on: 01 December, 2011, 11:07:11 pm »
If my 'plans' work out I'll be missing too, returning from 'Forn Parts' TM.

Tiermat & Co are going North, I'm going South. But Hey! WTF's new there, then?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 01 December, 2011, 11:09:59 pm »
I'd like to point out, with respect to the OP, that there is a world of difference between "poo sticks" and "Pooh Sticks".

The first is what you take with you when you walk a dog that's swallowed a 50p piece, the latter is a traditional game immortalised in children's literature.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 01 December, 2011, 11:11:37 pm »
I'm hoping to get along - paticularly as this may be the last York Rally...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 01 December, 2011, 11:13:04 pm »

With Priscilla, or will you be buying another tent?   ;D

Philip Benstead

• Cycling4ALL - say No Bike No Life
« Reply #11 on: 01 December, 2011, 11:46:31 pm »

What do you mean by that, what do you know or suspect
Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.), NSI

Independent Cycle Campaigner and Cycle Consultant
DfT accredited BikeAbility Instructor / L3 Mechanic
07949801698 cycling4westminster@gmail.com

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 02 December, 2011, 12:02:32 am »
There were rumours of a change of venue at one point...

Regulator

« Reply #13 on: 02 December, 2011, 07:16:08 am »
York Rally is now being 'supported' by CTC National Office.

National Office didn't want to take it on - the Chief Executive argued against it but Council insisted that it did.  This year's rally showed the effects - little real publicity, no racing, fewer organised rides and fewer finanical sponsors.  That said, the local volunteers did a sterling job as always.

Given that CTC is to be charity, it will be difficult to argue that an event which is effectively subsidised for members but which charges the public will fit within the charitable purposes.  I think that National Office will use the charity issue as a reason for dropping the Rally, which cannot survive now without support and subsidy.

Green Party Councillor

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #14 on: 02 December, 2011, 10:17:30 am »
I continue to equivocate about renewing my membership untill such time that the issue of Charity status is resolved one way or the other.

To learn that National Office will not support the York Rally but dispenses significant amounts of £ to a Charitable Trust seems to me to be not the best use of members money.This circumstance is likely to be the straw that breaks the back of my renewal camel.

I shall have to make an effort to find an alternative source of insurance similar to that offered by CTC

« Reply #15 on: 02 December, 2011, 10:40:24 am »
Last years meeting was really rather good (read fab) and from memory included guided night rides, cake, barm cakes, midnight feasts, poo sticks, twig powered tea making, the odd planetorium, Crinkly breakfast, railway history, drive in cinema, bemused residents, and even beer. Is something similar likely to happen next year?
Don't forget the toasted marshmallows.

Greg, I'm appalled at the idea that the york rally might not take place. York is a great venue for this, with the train services etc. The rally is also of great benefit to York and part of the local traditions.

It's about bloody time the local council stuck in here. I know two of the York councilors (both green party). If I dig out contact details for them, can you (or some other sensible person) prod them into action?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

« Reply #16 on: 02 December, 2011, 10:45:17 am »
Don't forget the toasted marshmallows.

Greg, I'm appalled at the idea that the york rally might not take place. York is a great venue for this, with the train services etc. The rally is also of great benefit to York and part of the local traditions.

It's about bloody time the local council stuck in here. I know two of the York councilors (both green party). If I dig out contact details for them, can you (or some other sensible person) prod them into action?

I'm not really the person to do it, as I am not part of CTC management now.

If you were able to get the details of the Councillors to the loval CTC group, they might be able to take advantage.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #17 on: 02 December, 2011, 10:55:09 am »
If I could stir up the councilors, who should they contact in the ctc?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

« Reply #18 on: 02 December, 2011, 10:57:57 am »
If I could stir up the councilors, who should they contact in the ctc?

The National Events Steering Group would be your best bet in the first instance.  I'm not sure who the chair is at present but National Office should be able to tell you.

How effective NESG will be will depend on whether its been stuffed with National Office stooges or not.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #19 on: 02 December, 2011, 11:06:34 am »
There is a large banner on the 2012 site:

The event is staying in York for the forseeable future
and we are planning further upgrades to on-site facilities
especially for those who wish to camp and caravan with us.

might be we are getting in a fuss about nothing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

« Reply #20 on: 02 December, 2011, 11:37:24 am »
There is a large banner on the 2012 site:

The event is staying in York for the forseeable future
and we are planning further upgrades to on-site facilities
especially for those who wish to camp and caravan with us.

might be we are getting in a fuss about nothing.

I'm sure that the local rally organisers will do everything they can to keep the rally at York - and every power to their elbow.  York is a fantastic venue.

However, the reality is that the Rally now relies upon financial support from CTC and National Office have made it clear that it wants to remove any financial support* - the move to charitable status will provide it with another excuse to argue that the Rally shouldn't be subsidised... and I am not hopeful that there is the will amongst many of the National Council to stand up to National Office.

The Secretary of the York Cycle Show, John Taylorson, might be the person to point the local councillors to in the first instance.  He can be contact on 07765 070120.

*They never wanted to support the Rally in the first place, and any support that has been provided has been grudgingly conceded under pressure from councillors.  National Office seems to think the Rally doesn't 'fit' with the CTC as a 'modern, thrusting' organisation.

Green Party Councillor

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #21 on: 02 December, 2011, 11:42:36 am »

Greg, I'm appalled at the idea that the york rally might not take place.

& I'm appalled that the Chief Executive of a membership financed organisation is apparently oppossed to supporting that organisation's premier annual social flagship event using the members money.The same members money that pays his salary.

« Reply #22 on: 02 December, 2011, 07:40:03 pm »
Surely doling out money to things that can't support themselves is the essence of charity?

« Reply #23 on: 02 December, 2011, 08:20:34 pm »
There was some talk last year of moving it to Harrogate. The introduction of gen public access fees at york (dont lose your wrist band)  seems to have addressed the financial shortfall issue thinks. Anyway fine venue fine company makes for much fun and merriment.

« Reply #24 on: 02 December, 2011, 08:21:37 pm »
I'd like to point out, with respect to the OP, that there is a world of difference between "poo sticks" and "Pooh Sticks".

The first is what you take with you when you walk a dog that's swallowed a 50p piece, the latter is a traditional game immortalised in children's literature.

Sorry WB Im a northerner, we are known for dropping our H's