Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 288574 times)

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1800 on: 07 May, 2013, 08:04:10 pm »
That was a delightfully silly episode, marred only by the lack of comments on the rocket science in this thread.   ;D
Well, there's not a lot you can say about that.  The technology of that era wouldn't have allowed them to build such a boilerplate vehicle that actually worked, but I assumed that it was either based on information from Mr Sweet (is he sentient, or is that just Mrs Gillyflower's fancy?) or Mrs Gillyflower's genius.

The only point you can really argue is whether you'd survive the vehicle actually going up the "chimney" whilst standing on that staircase, and with anything remotely like our current technological development, I'd say not.
It's Dr Who. Not a documentary.

If I'd thought it was a big issue, I'd have brought it up earlier.  That was purely in response to Kim's comment, since she obviously thought it required further in depth consideration.  I'm always happy to oblige. ;D

In depth nitpicking and moaning is what this thread is about, with the occasional "Wahay!" thrown in for balance.  If we all hated or loved every episode, it would have been dealt with about 72 pages ago.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1801 on: 07 May, 2013, 08:09:32 pm »
... But the rocket was clearly Jules Verne style engineering, with a hot and probably toxic exhaust - at least a bit of duck & cover seems justified.

To be fair, they do duck and cover a bit, the Doctor coming over all gentlemanly and covering Ada, but even quality Victorian clothing probably isn't going to be that proof against a large rocker engine at close quarters.  Arguably the Doctor and Clara could have had Nomex built into their clothing, on the off chance they met a deranged rocket enthusiast hell bent on destroying the world, but that wouldn't have done much for their hands, heads and hair.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1802 on: 07 May, 2013, 11:08:21 pm »
It's Dr Who. Not a documentary.

Well yes, but I like a *bit* of science in my science fiction.
Well it *HAD* a bit of science.

So stop moaning, kick back and enjoy the time travel with gurning. :)

[I too like my SF to have consistency - but Who isn't in that class of SF. That doesn't make it bad SF. But have I mentioned the constant background music? Surely there's no place for THAT in any SF?  What would Ray Bradbury think? etc etc ... >:(  ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1803 on: 09 May, 2013, 11:18:35 am »
Oh!  Ada was played by Rachel Stirling, daughter of Diana Rigg.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1804 on: 11 May, 2013, 10:53:39 am »
We have to wait an whole hour tonight because Auntie is still moving the start time around randomly. My money is that next week show starts at 1805. This program is one of the longest running shows and one of the most popular shows she got, why the bleeping heck can't she stay on one start time. She manage so well with all the other crapshows why not this one, I know that the Doctor does have a wee bit of a problem flying his TARDIS, with arriving at the right times, but that is a story line not a program start time. The reason why the bees are in my bonnet is that this is the only program on the tellybox that I really care about seeing, the rest I happy can miss, and I don't fancy playing lucky dip and end up missing the start or end up watching East Holly Street Dancing Karaoke while you are bodily embarrassed with your cooking in your new property. Oh this should probably be in the rant part of the forum.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1805 on: 11 May, 2013, 11:06:46 am »
I think it's because of what time Britain's Got Talent starts on the other side. They try to avoid overlap, and BGT starts later tonight because ITV are showing (the very excellent film) Whale Rider before it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1806 on: 11 May, 2013, 12:28:12 pm »
Gosh, do people actually still watch programmes at the exact time they're broadcast?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1807 on: 11 May, 2013, 12:49:08 pm »
I know what you mean. I watch movies when I fancy and 24-hours-news when I can/want and happily miss the start or the whole program of other shows.

But this is nearly the one and only television pleasure/interest I have left, other than cycling*. And yes I can set the recorder to record the series "automagically" but I still have to wait an extra hour tonight to see only program I care for because the beep have set it on Jo-Jo start time.

*) which I can't see since it is nearly always on a channel that I do not have access to and don't want to pay extra for. Yes there is steephill.tv for that but that opens up a different kettle of fish that is ISP speed and rural areas - can just about read yacf on a weekend since everyone in the village are home.

So can I please have one little pleasure on time :) Oh Cypermen are back tonight, I know a wee bit over kill, but it is good fun, I'll have my pillow at the ready for sure.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1808 on: 11 May, 2013, 05:13:08 pm »
... and watching stuff live means you are immune to the spoiler-minefield of the interweb  :thumbsup:

(I believe there are billions of tweets sent/read about TV shows - they'd be pretty pointless if folks were watching 3 days later. New technology rewinding other new technology. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1809 on: 11 May, 2013, 07:33:43 pm »
Thank goodness for Neil Gaiman, thats all I will say  :)

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #1810 on: 11 May, 2013, 07:50:15 pm »
That was so much better than any of the other episodes this series  ;D

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1811 on: 11 May, 2013, 07:56:30 pm »
Cybertastic!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1812 on: 11 May, 2013, 08:00:06 pm »
Hmmm, ponytail...

citoyen

« Reply #1813 on: 11 May, 2013, 09:20:12 pm »
That was brilliant. Totally brilliant. I was completely spellbound from beginning to end.

« Reply #1814 on: 11 May, 2013, 10:12:27 pm »
I quite liked this episode, although the Cybermen were really only lightly used, the Doctor's internal war being more central to the story.

I do like Warwick Davis, and hadn't realised he'd been an Ewok in Return of the Jedi, until I was watching a Beeb interview with him about Episode VII.

I still think last week's episode, The Crimson Horror was better, but they clearly pulled out all of the stops on that one.

Clara's two charges were used a little oddly, the end of last week's episode was obviously the basis for them being here, but they just appeared right at the start, basically without any discussion that Clara presumably had with the Doctor.  In many respects, they also didn't do a lot, although that's not unexpected with child actors, and whilst they're not bad, they're not the best young actors we've seen (Karen Gillan's cousin, Caitlin Blackwood, playing the young Amelia Pond was exceptionally good).

The crowd of useless military bods were amusing in places, and they possibly could have been played up a bit more, but I guess in the short time available for an episode, there's only so much they can do.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1815 on: 11 May, 2013, 10:19:48 pm »
I think this Doctor is hamming it up a bit too much for my liking, that two-faced battle of wills was very clumsy, twisting from one side to the other to express the two sides of his brain... pantomime stuff. Messing with the Cybermen mythology was a big mistake, but at least the Cybermats were back in a way, as the Cybermites.

Nice homage to The Turk though.

« Reply #1816 on: 11 May, 2013, 10:23:55 pm »
I think this Doctor is hamming it up a bit too much for my liking, that two-faced battle of wills was very clumsy, twisting from one side to the other to express the two sides of his brain...

I quite liked that, although it seemed a bit unlikely how the Cybermen were suddenly becoming very powerful, and after something stopped them, there would be a brief "Upgrading", and then they'd become immune to it.  That seemed far too convenient, and a bit too powerful potentially.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1817 on: 11 May, 2013, 10:27:12 pm »
When they said Cybermats I thought they said Cybernats and I expected a load of Edinburgh Evening News commenters to appear and start frothing.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1818 on: 11 May, 2013, 10:54:34 pm »
We had a Cybermat back in "Closing Time", a sort or reprise of "The Lodger" with James Corden, only not quite as good.

The Wikipedia entry for the episode has a nice toothy photograph of one at it's top.

They were also apparently used in the original Doctor Who series, in various forms, but I can't say I remember them.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1819 on: 11 May, 2013, 10:57:37 pm »
A mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a skirt that's just a little bit too tight
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1820 on: 11 May, 2013, 11:05:03 pm »
I quite liked that, although it seemed a bit unlikely how the Cybermen were suddenly becoming very powerful, and after something stopped them, there would be a brief "Upgrading", and then they'd become immune to it.  That seemed far too convenient, and a bit too powerful potentially.

Welcome to the weekly deus ex machina;)

I recognised the drawbridge, it's Castell Coch just outside Cardiff, although it has no moat. I think some of the interiors were from there as well.

citoyen

« Reply #1821 on: 11 May, 2013, 11:44:25 pm »
They were also apparently used in the original Doctor Who series, in various forms, but I can't say I remember them.

I do! I also remember that the cybermen  are allergic to gold. Not sure about cleaning fluid though.

I like the new look too.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #1822 on: 12 May, 2013, 12:14:26 am »

I do! I also remember that the cybermen  are allergic to gold. Not sure about cleaning fluid though.

Tom Baker: "I smell a rat: A cybermat rat".  They appeared in at least one of the stories set on the Ark in Space.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1823 on: 12 May, 2013, 06:39:21 am »

Welcome to the weekly deus ex machina;)
heh!

I'm surprised noone's mentioned how the current Cybermen are a total ripoff of the Borg (from TNG). Assimilate! Resistance is Futile! The 'instant upgrade' thing is (in effect) just like the Borg adapting their shields to phaser frequencies (or whatever it was they did - the point being that they were nearly invulnerable).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

« Reply #1824 on: 12 May, 2013, 07:32:55 am »
I'm surprised noone's mentioned how the current Cybermen are a total ripoff of the Borg (from TNG).

Who are the Borg? What's TNG? </Wowbagger>