Author Topic: FNRttC Tour from London to John O'Groats - 15th to 23rd June  (Read 2641 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
FNRttC Tour from London to John O'Groats - 15th to 23rd June
« on: 17 January, 2012, 09:15:45 pm »
For anyone who isn't also on CycleChat or not on the FNRttC mailing list, the FNRttC is running a rolling tour from London up to John O'Groats.  It's open for people to do the whole thing or just a section or two. 

The first section will consist of setting off from Hyde Park Corner at the traditional time of midnight on a Friday, cycling through the night and then stopping early Saturday afternoon.  That way, it gets a big group out of London with minimal traffic and away from the congested south-east.  Subsequent sections will be done during the day. 

The intention will be for participants to book their own accommodation although there's a variety of camp sites, youth hostels, B&B's and hotels etc being used.  As there will be a van to carry bags/tents etc, there will be a modest daily charge.

Full details are shown here and any expressions of interest to take part in all, or some of the tour should be made to the email address at the end of that page.

So far, around 30 people look like they're doing the full route, and some of the accommodation is getting booked up already.

Some hardy souls are also starting a few days earlier from Lands End, but if anyone specifically wants to do a "south-east tip of the UK to the north-east tip of the UK" trip, just to say they've done an End to End,  I'll be happy to assist on leading an easy(ish) 80 mile route from the Kent coast into London on Friday 15th June, giving plenty of recuperation time for the midnight departure from Hyde Park Corner.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

clarion

• Tyke
Re: FNRttC Tour from London to John O'Groats - 15th to 23rd June
« Reply #1 on: 17 January, 2012, 10:17:50 pm »
Cool.  We're hoping to be on the first stage out of London.  Sadly, we can't make the whole tour, but it sounds like it will be wonderful fun (and hard work in places).
Getting there...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2 on: 17 January, 2012, 10:43:04 pm »
Cool.  We're hoping to be on the first stage out of London.  Sadly, we can't make the whole tour, but it sounds like it will be wonderful fun (and hard work in places).
I'm most interested in doing the first night&day, as it's not a huge distance from Bingham (the first night's stop) to home; either by bike or train.  But I haven't emailed the boss-man yet.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 17 January, 2012, 10:48:17 pm »
Yeah, probably in for the first stage.  While I'd quite like to do an end-to-end, I'd rather do it at my own pace, and certainly without a support van.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: 17 January, 2012, 10:50:33 pm »
I'm most interested in doing the first night&day, as it's not a huge distance from Bingham (the first night's stop) to home; either by bike or train.  But I haven't emailed the boss-man yet.

I can't get the time to do it all either but am interested in the 'Dick Turpin' two dayer. Technically this should properly be called a Swift Nick.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 17 January, 2012, 10:52:00 pm »
*ahem*

Will Nevison.
Getting there...

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: 17 January, 2012, 10:58:21 pm »
*ahem*

Will Nevison.

Wikipedia not down for SOPA yet then?  ;D

I'll see your Will Nevison and raise you a Harold Godwinson.

Still, looks like a great two day ride. Been wanting to do a London to York for ages.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #7 on: 17 January, 2012, 11:12:07 pm »
I'm in for the whole thing, since I finally got the leave sorted out yesterday afternoon I've been booking or trying to book accomodation for all the nights. Mostly sorted, hopefully get the last couple of nights done and dusted tomorrow...

It'll be nice to have you all along.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8 on: 17 January, 2012, 11:24:24 pm »
I'm in for the lot as well, but I'll have to leave booking the camp sites until Friday/Saturday now as I'm travelling for work the next couple days.

It's still very tempting to carry on west, round the coast when we get to JoG
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 17 January, 2012, 11:37:17 pm »
*ahem*

Will Nevison.

Wikipedia not down for SOPA yet then?  ;D

I'll see your Will Nevison and raise you a Harold Godwinson.

Still, looks like a great two day ride. Been wanting to do a London to York for ages.

I don't know what Wikipedia says about it, but I've been boring people with stories about how Yorkshire has the best villains for years.  Have I ever told you about Robin Hood being a Sheffielder? ;D
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 17 January, 2012, 11:42:32 pm »
They did name the airport after him...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #11 on: 17 January, 2012, 11:50:21 pm »
But they put it in Donny

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 17 January, 2012, 11:50:46 pm »
He *was* an outlaw.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13 on: 17 January, 2012, 11:53:07 pm »
Though sending him to Doncaster is a bit extreme as a punishment

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 18 January, 2012, 10:49:00 am »
Worse than that - he went to Whitby!
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #15 on: 18 January, 2012, 06:34:51 pm »
I'm planning on the first two stages, getting the train back the evening we arrive in York.  Must look at somewhere to kip that first night...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #16 on: 21 January, 2012, 12:29:27 pm »
If anyone is going on this, and doesn't fancy camping, then the accommodation is being booked up very quickly over on cyclechat so you'd better get planning!