Author Topic: Opinions please on compacts vs triples and Condor frames  (Read 3530 times)

Opinions please on compacts vs triples and Condor frames
« on: 27 February, 2012, 11:17:50 am »
A friend of mine is deciding on a bike but has a few issues and wants a range of opinions on the following:

1. Condor's Biagio vs Italia RL frames, for long distance, mostly road and some rougher terrain cycling
2. Compact vs triple for hills on long distance road cycling often with panniers
3. Campag vs 105 group sets

TIA

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Opinions please on compacts vs triples and Condor frames
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2012, 12:59:49 pm »
Did s/he want advice on helmets as well, to complete the set? ;)
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2012, 01:06:23 pm »
What cycling experience does your friend have, Jurek, and with what bikes and gears?  Actually, invite him to join the forum if he's not already here.

A triple is the safe bet, in my opinion - to enable practically any range wanted and with small steps between the gears as well.  He should only get a compact double if sure that's what he wants.

Campag vs Shimano: actually get hands on the brake/gear levers and choose whichever feels best.  Otherwise it doesn't matter because they both do plenty of high quality stuff.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2012, 01:17:09 pm »
I've got bikes with triples and compact chainsets and I must admit that if find the compact annoying to use because it requires too much double shifting to work across the full range of gears. I think that they are too much of a compromise for the little weight that they save.  If he is going to ride in hilly terrain with panniers I'd recommend a triple.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2012, 01:29:18 pm »
Finally, a thread about compacts vs triples! It's about time YACF covered such a key topic.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2012, 01:31:09 pm »
Triple is easier to lower the gearing, either via a 'touring' crankset (26/36/46) like the stronglight impact or by just fitting a smaller granny ring. No matter what you do with a compact, you'll never get a gear below 30".

Campag, as long as it's triple compatible and still has the ratcheted (as good as friction) front shifting.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 27 February, 2012, 01:42:46 pm »
Can't find a Biagio.  There's a Bivio, a Baracchi, or an Acciaio, but I can't find a Biagio. ???

http://www.condorcycles.com/2011-Range/View-all-products/Page-1-9.html
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 27 February, 2012, 02:40:08 pm »
Can't find a Biagio.  There's a Bivio, a Baracchi, or an Acciaio, but I can't find a Biagio. ???

http://www.condorcycles.com/2011-Range/View-all-products/Page-1-9.html

My bad - branes full of snot today. It's a Bivio I refer to.

« Reply #8 on: 27 February, 2012, 02:58:32 pm »
What cycling experience does your friend have, Jurek, and with what bikes and gears? 
Very experienced cyclist looking for a lightweight replacement for the Fratello she recently had nicked. Had a (non compact) double on that.
Also rides a Specialized Globe upright, and a full carbon Scott.

Actually, invite him to join the forum if he's not already here.
The price of that may be bloodshed, tears and you never get to hear from me again. ;)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 27 February, 2012, 03:33:41 pm »
Sorry I was assuming the friend was male.  Dunno why.  Silly wally, I am.  Incidentally, I'm very much liking Sainsbury's own-brand pickled cucmbers in sweet vinegar now, so, sadly for Poland, no need to hunt down Krakus any more.

Right, the rider doesn't seem to need or want a triple chainset for her usual cycling.  She will benefit from having some lower gears than usual when climbing with more weight than usual - but a triple is not the only means to get them.  I'd say it mainly comes down to the point I always bang on about: the jumps between the gears.  That what she should think about.  There's also less frequent need to front shift if the ratios are chosen carefully.

Don't choose the bike by the chainset or cassette, though.  Be prepared to customise both afterwards.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #10 on: 01 March, 2012, 11:11:25 am »
Triple is easier to lower the gearing, either via a 'touring' crankset (26/36/46) like the stronglight impact or by just fitting a smaller granny ring. No matter what you do with a compact, you'll never get a gear below 30".

Not quite accurate - my compact sometimes has 28" set up for long hilly rides (34 chainring, 32 cassette), my son's bike has had 26.3" (34/34 using a mountain bike rear mech and cassette).

But there are big gaps between gears, and if you are doing loaded touring then a triple is definitely the way to go.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #11 on: 01 March, 2012, 12:17:33 pm »
A friend of mine is deciding on a bike but has a few issues and wants a range of opinions on the following:

1. Condor's Biagio vs Italia RL frames, for long distance, mostly road and some rougher terrain cycling
2. Compact vs triple for hills on long distance road cycling often with panniers
3. Campag vs 105 group sets

Bearing in mind the wide range of terrain involved including hills with panniers, I'd agree about going for a triple.

Can't say either way about the other stuff, as I don't know anything about them, in order to compare. 

Didn't think you'd hear that comment on the internet, did you?   :)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #12 on: 01 March, 2012, 12:34:41 pm »
the bivio is stiffer than a stiff thing, and CX bikes often have higher bottom brackets, the opposite of touring bikes. 

I loved my condor baracchi (till it was pointed out that it's the same frame but more expensive than something ribble sell, then I still loved it but felt a bit of a tit for riding it)

« Reply #13 on: 01 March, 2012, 12:45:56 pm »
Thanks all for your comments.

The plastic was flexed yesterday and I'm expecting to collect it this weekend (the new owner being on the other side of the planet) - I didn't expect that to be so swift.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 01 March, 2012, 12:49:18 pm »
So...when are we to hear what the ultimate choice was?
Getting there...

« Reply #15 on: 01 March, 2012, 12:51:03 pm »
So...when are we to hear what the ultimate choice was?

Coming up shortly......

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #16 on: 01 March, 2012, 12:51:28 pm »
the bivio is stiffer than a stiff thing ...

So many possibilities for innuendo ...

« Reply #17 on: 01 March, 2012, 12:53:45 pm »
Italia RL frameset in black plus Mavic Aksium wheels.
Most of the rest of the bits are being sourced elsewhere.
Oh, Shimano 105 triple groupset - given that that was one of the many, many pivotal questions.....

I get the joy of putting it all together.  :)

Jury's currently out on the colour of the bar tape....

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #18 on: 01 March, 2012, 01:32:15 pm »
Jury's currently out on the colour of the bar tape....

are you including your trademark banana straps?

« Reply #19 on: 01 March, 2012, 01:36:01 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D