Author Topic: Riding long distance on fixed.  (Read 16713 times)

Riding long distance on fixed.
« on: 23 March, 2012, 04:14:01 pm »
Iv'e been riding my fixed for about two years now and I love it.I feel strong now and did my first Audax on fixed a couple of weeks ago(100k).I prefer it to my Mercian triple to be honest.However I still view long rides with trepidation.I know some of you have riden very long distances on fixed and would like to here your advice/thoughts.To me long distance is 100miles+.

Re: Riding long distance on fixed.
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2012, 04:24:55 pm »
You'll be fine.

Difficult part about long rides on fixed:

Long steep downhills.

Headwinds
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2012, 08:27:30 pm »
It's just like riding a bike.  :thumbsup:

gordon taylor

« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2012, 08:36:57 pm »
I've done a couple of big tours on fixed, covering 60 to 80 mpd usually. Mr Charly is right - it's the long downhills that are uncomfortable. Walking and pushing uphill has never bothered me, but I really missed the sweeping and relaxing descents you can do with a freewheel bike. Hauling on a brake lever for half an hour to stop your legs spinning off is irritating.

I won't tour on fixed again, but my fixed is still my favourite bike; I ride it most days.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2012, 10:06:14 pm »
I've done a handful of Audaxes on fixed and echo what's been said already.  Everything is great apart from the downhills.  Not sure where you're based, but if you're in the south east the Hereward the Wake 300 in July is a great one to ride fixed.  Also the Fairies Flat 300/200/100 collection all on the same day are good fixed rides.

Some say the only way to ride the Bryan Chapman is fixed ....but they tend to wear jackets that don't have sleeves
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

simonp

« Reply #5 on: 23 March, 2012, 10:27:01 pm »
Descending is fine. Still not exceeded 200rpm though.

« Reply #6 on: 24 March, 2012, 10:51:52 am »
Thanks for your replies,the way I look at it is,riding a bike a long way can be tiring.To get round this I use little tactics like freewheeling down hills and stretching.More difficult on a fixed wheel bike,although I think the varying cadences of riding fixed helps.The thing is I've got my first 200km ride in about two weeks time and its pancake flat(Double Dutch).I am wondering which bike to take Steel framed triple or my Kinesis fixed(72inch).

gordon taylor

« Reply #7 on: 24 March, 2012, 11:30:17 am »
I don't like pancake flat either.... being in the "wrong" gear for a whole day is a PITA.

Short, rolling hills is the most comfortable terrain for long distance on fixed, IMHO.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8 on: 24 March, 2012, 11:49:36 am »
The first 200 I did on fixed was the Man Of Kent a couple of years ago. I'd only been riding fixed a couple of months at that time. After the climb out of Charing, there's a section of several miles of gentle descent. By the end of it, I was starting to get cramp in my calves. But that was just not being used to spinning that fast for that long. I've done the same descent more recently and didn't have a problem with it.

I did the Fairies 300 on fixed a couple of years ago and that has some long, very flat stretches. Where a fixed gear comes into its own on terrain like that is when you have a headwind. I find it much easier to slog into a headwind on fixed. On gears, it's too easy to just select a lower gear and spin. On fixed, there's no wimping out. I did the Fairies 300 on gears the following year and was slower overall. I would recommend taking your fixed for your flat 200.

Longest fixed ride I've done is the Invicta 400. Not an especially tough ride, only one hill steep enough that I had to get off and walk, but I was a bit out of shape at the time and suffered badly. However, I know I wouldn't have found it any easier on gears.

The worst thing about riding that kind of distance on fixed is not being able to lift your arse out of the saddle and coast for a bit to relieve the pressure.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #9 on: 24 March, 2012, 12:52:07 pm »
Let me ask those of you who have responded to nightrider......
what gear" are you using?
do you change it according to the route?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 24 March, 2012, 12:55:36 pm »
Do any of you fixies ever descend like this for a bit of light relief?:

(Not that it would be good for your backside or safety).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #11 on: 24 March, 2012, 01:14:34 pm »

65" and No.

I've thought about changing it but I'm happy with 65" as a good all-purpose gear.

Do any of you fixies ever descend like this for a bit of light relief?

No way! Again, I've thought about it, but I'm too chicken to actually try it.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #12 on: 24 March, 2012, 02:36:33 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNgJrfgXijg

7.25 onward...

looks like fun. About 30 miles is my limit on the fix. Although it is my daily bike.

Chris N

« Reply #13 on: 24 March, 2012, 03:37:12 pm »
Thanks for your replies,the way I look at it is,riding a bike a long way can be tiring.To get round this I use little tactics like freewheeling down hills and stretching.More difficult on a fixed wheel bike,although I think the varying cadences of riding fixed helps.The thing is I've got my first 200km ride in about two weeks time and its pancake flat(Double Dutch).I am wondering which bike to take Steel framed triple or my Kinesis fixed(72inch).

You'll never find out if you don't give it a go.  Make sure you drink plenty to ward off cramps.  In practice you can rest on the flat by not pushing so hard and try to get out of the saddle on climbs to give your arse a rest.

Let me ask those of you who have responded to nightrider......

60" to 71", and yes - depending on route and fitness.  60" for really hilly rides, 63" for winter and quite hilly rides, 67" for general use, 71" for flatter rides in the summer.

Do any of you fixies ever descend like this for a bit of light relief?:

Yes - on LEL where my achilles tendons flared up so badly I couldn't pedal over about 110rpm, I would unclip on descents, particularly down into Edinburgh and off Yad Moss.

« Reply #14 on: 24 March, 2012, 05:09:22 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNgJrfgXijg

7.25 onward...

looks like fun. About 30 miles is my limit on the fix. Although it is my daily bike.

Closer to home:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gebgoidxHjA

« Reply #15 on: 24 March, 2012, 08:34:50 pm »
 i ride fixed regularly and done a few 200kms and one 300km (heart of england).  my (ignorant) question is how do you work out the number e.g.  65 or 71.  i tend to ride a 42tooth crank with 16tooth sprocket.  what does that make it?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #16 on: 24 March, 2012, 08:41:47 pm »
i ride fixed regularly and done a few 200kms and one 300km (heart of england).  my (ignorant) question is how do you work out the number e.g.  65 or 71.  i tend to ride a 42tooth crank with 16tooth sprocket.  what does that make it?

42t ( crank) divided by 16t (sprocket) multiply by 27(wheel dia in inches,approx  equal to 700 wheel) = 71"gear

« Reply #17 on: 24 March, 2012, 08:44:48 pm »
thanks

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #18 on: 24 March, 2012, 08:50:32 pm »
I will be out in the morning counting teeth.  I have no idea what gear I have on the fixed but it's low enough for me to climb reasonable hills and high enough for me to get up to a decent speed on the flat.....

Should add that I mainly use it for commuting and pottering around the shops.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #19 on: 24 March, 2012, 08:54:26 pm »
I will be out in the morning counting teeth.

It's very likely that the info will be stamped on the chainring/sprocket.Having said that I can't read them on my Langster due to the crud thereon ::-)

« Reply #20 on: 25 March, 2012, 12:41:24 pm »
Double -fixed is the best (one cog on each side).

At one time, many many years ago, my only bike used to have double-fixed - 64" one side, 79" the other. I lived at the top of a 1 in 6 hill at the time. One in 6 on 64" was ok. On 79" it was knee-cap exploding.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris S

« Reply #21 on: 25 March, 2012, 12:50:35 pm »
I always hanker for a free wheel after about 300km. As others have said, as you get more and more tired, descending gets harder. But after 300k, things generally stop getting worse, so one can live with it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #22 on: 25 March, 2012, 02:13:19 pm »
Can I just mention S3X? :)
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #23 on: 25 March, 2012, 02:25:37 pm »
Can I just mention S3X? :)

You can mention it. But it's not relevant to fixed gear  ;D

I think for FWC purposes - such aids are not considered cricket - on account that you can change gear, therefore it's not "fixed gear".

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #24 on: 25 March, 2012, 02:30:49 pm »
Double -fixed is the best (one cog on each side).

atm I'm cheating.I have a fixed one side & a freewheel on t'other side 'cause I'm being kind to one of my knees.