Author Topic: Recommendations for new Rear Light  (Read 12018 times)

CathH

Recommendations for new Rear Light
« on: 24 July, 2008, 03:24:41 pm »
I'm in the market for a new rear light as both of my Cateyes seem to be developing problems at the same time.  :(  So much for building in redundancy.

Ideally I would like something that's the equivalent of my Enduro Maxx - is there such a beast with high output, small size and preferably internal batteries?

Thanks for any recommendations!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Recommendations for new Rear Light
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2008, 03:45:19 pm »
Smart Superflash is the best of the little LED lamps right now.  Small and light, unlike the big CatEye depth-charge.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2 on: 24 July, 2008, 03:49:08 pm »
+1 for the smart superflast.  I don't own one, but having seen them used on the Dun Run I was mighty impressed.  Be careful with them, because the brightness may annoy anyone cycling behind you.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Dave

« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2008, 03:51:02 pm »
+2. They are very bright 8) and the batteries last for ages in flash mode.

Not a good idea to use it in flashing mode when there's people riding beind you, mind.

Edit: And only 8 quid from Wiggle...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 24 July, 2008, 04:01:11 pm »
Wow, that's half price.  I might stock up (though heavens knows what's due out next).

One caveat, the waterproofing is a bit weak.  In a real drench (ie no mudguards and commuting, or Scotland) the light can be stuck in the "on" state until you pop it open.  A wrap of electrical tape solves this.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Chris N

« Reply #5 on: 24 July, 2008, 04:09:24 pm »
My Superflash has a crack in the casing, so the waterproofing is extra rubbish now.  Otherwise, they're great.  Just bought a Blackburn Mars 2.0 which is lovely - it's even got amber LEDs pointing sideways, but the bracket is a bit crap and you need a small philips driver to change the batteries.  V. bright though.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #6 on: 24 July, 2008, 04:12:12 pm »
got five of the superflashes across the fleet. Only casualties so far have either been nicked or flung off the bike by bracket coming into contact with unattached flinging object.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #7 on: 24 July, 2008, 04:14:45 pm »
I've got one of those blackburn lights too.  It's got better flashing modes than the Smart light and is still pretty bright.  Having screws on the blackburn light means that changing the batteries is a bit of a pain, but i guess it does mean it's nice 'n' waterproof. The bracket is a bit pants and my light is now cabled tie to my saddle bag to stop it from escaping.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Chris N

« Reply #8 on: 24 July, 2008, 04:16:13 pm »
Yep, I use mine on the loops on my saddlebag rather than trust the wobbly cheese-bracket.

CathH

« Reply #9 on: 24 July, 2008, 05:25:07 pm »
Hmm, thanks for all that info chaps.  I like the prices, but I hear what you're saying about lack of waterproofing and flimsy brackets.

I've looked at the picture of the Superflash and I'm not feeling the bling.  Does it look better on the bike than it does on the site?

« Reply #10 on: 24 July, 2008, 05:31:59 pm »
If you want bling I can only recommend Dinotte.

Bling the Superflash aint.  ;)

« Reply #11 on: 24 July, 2008, 05:54:33 pm »
If you want bling I can only recommend Dinotte.

...and only £135 probably plus VAT and PO handling fee, unless you're very lucky.  And the battery isn't self contained, which is more than a bit annoying.  The old one is very bright, so gods knows what the new one is like. :o
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #12 on: 24 July, 2008, 07:14:33 pm »
Hmm, thanks for all that info chaps.  I like the prices, but I hear what you're saying about lack of waterproofing and flimsy brackets.

I've looked at the picture of the Superflash and I'm not feeling the bling.  Does it look better on the bike than it does on the site?

It’s a light not a fashion icon! Its brighter than you possibly imagine! And actually, its quite nicely designed. I just bought 2 more on the special Wiggle price.

« Reply #13 on: 24 July, 2008, 07:48:12 pm »
I have a small but growing collection of Superflashes. The only times when I have had leakage problems occurred during heavy rain with a light mounted on the seat stay.

Part of the problem is that the rubber seal is a little tricky to get just right when you snap the two halves together.

A couple of times I have noted the light to be filling with rain but it has still worked fine. I usually give the innards a squirt of WD40 when I change the batteries.

Look good enough on the bike at night when they are in use. Good job and unbeatable for £8. 2 rechargeable AAAs last ages. They are light and can be poped on the back of a saddle pack or hooked over an armband facing back - works well that does.

CathH

« Reply #14 on: 24 July, 2008, 07:50:24 pm »
Oooh, I've just noticed something:

1/2 watt red LED + 2 Extreme LEDs matched in alternating flash=SUPERFLASH
Superflash for 360° + visibility up to 1 mile

How does the 360° visibility work?  Does it have a clear back?

Would you say they're brighter than a Cateye TL-LD1100?

Thanks for these opinions.

« Reply #15 on: 24 July, 2008, 08:06:12 pm »
Well I'd say 360 exaggerates things by a factor of 2.

Certainly they are usefully bright from side-on.

Personally I think they are better than the Cateye. A more intense retina-searing light. Plus the Cateyes always seem to be used in disco mode which is crap. And the Cateye is far bigger and heavier.

« Reply #16 on: 24 July, 2008, 08:39:06 pm »
Any mode which switches between LEDs spaced so closely together that you can't distinguish between them over a moderate distance (eg when a car first sees you) is pointless, the average light level will just be that of a single LED.

For something like an LD1100 the only sensible modes are All Flashing (in sync) or All On.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #17 on: 24 July, 2008, 08:43:38 pm »
I have a small but growing collection of Superflashes. The only times when I have had leakage problems occurred during heavy rain with a light mounted on the seat stay.

Is that the light  that you were using when we did the Surrey hills? I was impressed but forgot to ask at the time

« Reply #18 on: 24 July, 2008, 09:43:07 pm »
Yes. Can't beat it for £8. One of the few non-Dinottes that is useful for dark lanes in the day time.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #19 on: 24 July, 2008, 09:51:41 pm »
How does the 360° visibility work?  Does it have a clear back?

Would you say they're brighter than a Cateye TL-LD1100?

It does have a clear back but the 360 is a bit spurious.  Here's mine fighting against the camera flash: Andy and Hannibal on Flickr - Photo Sharing! - you can see the side visibility. 

Brighter than the depth-charge?  I think so.  The depth-charge dissapoints me - much of its light seems to be pointing in funny directions, and the unit is heavy and on feeble bracket - I've watched them bounce around and seen one take flight.  The Smart is light enough to be forgettable.  And really, we only need "steady" and "blink" - other modes are bling.  If you want two modes at once, get two lamps and you've got one steady, one blinky, and redundancy.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #20 on: 25 July, 2008, 07:03:38 am »
Yes. Can't beat it for £8. One of the few non-Dinottes that is useful for dark lanes in the day time.

That's one less on Wiggle's shelves then :)

αdαmsκι

« Reply #21 on: 25 July, 2008, 05:18:44 pm »
Make that two less on their shelves.

« Reply #22 on: 25 July, 2008, 07:13:57 pm »
-4 on shelves now :-[

CathH

« Reply #23 on: 25 July, 2008, 07:54:15 pm »
Cheers all.  I'm going to get a Superflash and see how I get on.  In the meantime, I've emailed Exposure asking when they're going to be making a rear light.  I thoroughly expect them to answer with an instruction to fit a red gel to one of their normal ones....!  :P

« Reply #24 on: 25 July, 2008, 08:12:10 pm »
Cheers all.  I'm going to get a Superflash and see how I get on.  In the meantime, I've emailed Exposure asking when they're going to be making a rear light.  I thoroughly expect them to answer with an instruction to fit a red gel to one of their normal ones....!  :P

That would be possible, but it would be more efficient to replace the white LED with a red LED, rather than removing the unneeded portion of the spectrum with a filter.  A joystick with a red LED would certainly be an interesting idea though!