Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 523795 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
A warm, sunny afternoon provided the perfect occasion to indulge in October ice cream. Probably the last outdoor ice cream of the year- unless I end up in Russia for some reason!!!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Sainsburys have stopped doing the dark chocolate with cocoa nibs in it I liked.
Bastards. Have some tokens.
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

We have in the house Yet Another Child Who Doesn't Like Apple Pie. It seems that every one of Little Cudzo's friends who's been offered apple pie of various types and sorts - homemade, bought, some more pie-like, some more cakey - has not even wanted to try it, because "I don't like apples" or similar. What's going on with kids and apple pie/cake? Very strange.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Can I have the apple pai/cake/tart/crumble instead :D

Colleague made lovely apple caeks on Thursday and "bribed" me into fix0ring something on her computer with it, except they know I'll do it without bribery too...

Cudzoziemiec

Can I have the apple pai/cake/tart/crumble instead :D
Of course.  :) If you get here soon enough...

Julian

• samoture
Today's dinner involved foraging in the fridge for leftovers to put in an omelette.... resulting in cauliflower cheese omelette.  Highly recommended.

:D

Cudzoziemiec

I definitely AM going to make a cauliflower cheese omelette THIS WEEK! I quite fancy one right now but we haven't got any cauliflower - could use kale though...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Summer must be over, just started cooking my first stew of the colder months :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruth

By coincidence, I just dug out my lamb and aubergine stew recipe.  The aubergines thicken the gravy so you don't need flour.  Full of spices and veg.  Nom.

Winter is good for the British, don't you think?  We get to wear knitted big jumpers (which hide our white pimply flesh) and eat comfort food.  For months!  Yay!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I just throw anything available into my stews: tomato glut, neglected cabbage, onion, broccoli stem, beans beef, carrots. Seems OK. Meat goes a L-O-N-G way.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Lidl are doing the christmas ginger biscuits again.

I have a packet, I shall eat a packet and then see if I am diabetic still ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Yesterday I had an omelette in the pub. Various fillings were available. Mushroom omelettes were £5.95, cheese omelettes were £6.50. Extra fillings were 75p. I wanted cheese and mushroom, but in the end I decided, in the interests of economy, to have mushrooms and cheese.

As it happens, that very nice chap Canardly paid for my lunch and refused money when I offered it.

There was also Everards' Tiger ale. I haven't had that for a long time, but it is extremely good. The Black Horse in Stondon Massey used to sell it regularly, but since that hasn't been a pub for about 20 years, or probably more, I was due a pint or two.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
It's autumn, so I am making dahl.
(Also, there's nothing much else to eat in the igloo today).

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Lidl are doing the christmas ginger biscuits again.
I know where I'm going after my physio session tomorrow, then  :demon:

Lebkuchen ... yum!

Cudzoziemiec

I was 99% asleep last night when Mrs Cudzo jolted me awake with the words "It's that time of year to start buying dried apricots again." I had to confirm with her this morning that she had really said this, I hadn't dreamed it. And yes, she's already been out and bought some this morning.

A refreshing Aussie attitude to posh water and snacks

Working my way up to inferior.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #591 on: 23 October, 2013, 08:56:51 pm »
I fancied a change from crumble...

Unfortunately, I didn't make enough pastry, so I had to roll it rather thin. It's cooling at the moment but I suspect when it comes out the bottom will be rather too fragile to contain the fruit.

At least it's a proper *pie* though (ie double crust).

I don't do pastry, so even with the deficiencies, this is quite an achievement for me. :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
I forgot to make a sarnies this morning, and then somehow managed to miss all 3 of the sarnies vans at work. So I had cake instead.

We had something for lunch today that I'd never eaten before.

Soup of seaweed, spring onions & (mostly) daikon* greens. The daikon were grown by me.

*Big white Japanese radish, AKA mooli, to those who know Indian vegetables.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I made parkin and brought it into work today. It's turned out overcooked and dry, but this lot don't know any better and they're getting through it at an astonishing rate.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Went for a cycle ride yesterday and came back with quince and apples, both being offered for free. So I've just made some quince jelly and the spicy apple chutney is simmering nicely......a cycling domestic goddess.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
It seems the Hampstead palate has gone posh...
http://www.camdennewjournal.com/news/2013/nov/mcdonalds-set-leave-hampstead-high-street-branch-it-fought-open-12-years#.UnQ3oqIINnQ.twitter

... but actually, McDonald's have already closed outlets in Kingsbury and Edgware so maybe NW London doesn't really like their fare.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Does a packet of ginger nut biscuits count as a balanced dinner?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Does a packet of ginger nut biscuits count as a balanced dinner?
Only if you have them with a cup of tea.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
I don't think they cover the cake section of the balanced diet, so you'd better have that with the tea to balance things out ;)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!