Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 523643 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1050 on: 14 September, 2014, 02:36:23 am »
I are made germknodel

IMG_1118 by The Pingus, on Flickr

One portion???

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1051 on: 14 September, 2014, 08:31:38 am »
1 fat pie sized portion there. I started with 6, 1 went in the bin due to issues resulting from photography faff, I steamed 2 of which Pingu had the other and the 3 uncooked ones went in the freezer after I decided I'd had enough sugar for 1 month....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1053 on: 15 September, 2014, 12:58:30 am »
There was a Murphy's Pakora Bar in Glasgow when I lived there.
After all, isn't a DFMB just a Mars Pakora?

simonp

« Reply #1054 on: 15 September, 2014, 01:18:52 am »
Deep fried haggis is nothing new, and can't be healthier than deep fried mars bar. I had one on LEL. Pakora batter will probably go nicely haggis as both are spicy. I'll have to try making this.

I used to have a boss who swore that the best Pakora came from Glasgow. As for Murphy's - only there once - I've never seen the like anywhere else.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1055 on: 15 September, 2014, 03:50:40 am »
I haz stroopwafels because I am a Person in in Good Standing with Team Cygnus:

(Ignore the beardy twonk in the background)

Alas, while the packet contained twelve stuks there are but three left.  I do not know whether stroopwafels can be obtained in the remoter parts of Utah, but I suspect it may be tricky.  However they will go nicely with my evening Proper Tea.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1056 on: 15 September, 2014, 09:59:13 am »
Stroopwafels are best consumed slightly warm, achieved by perching them on top of you fresh cup of coffee.
Can you get some Poffertjes from Team Cygnus too?

(And what is Wowbagger doing there?)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1057 on: 16 September, 2014, 01:36:18 am »
Stroopwafels are best consumed slightly warm, achieved by perching them on top of you fresh cup of coffee.

You can achieve a similar effect if you carry them in the storage wossname in the centre console of your motorcar when it's 35° C outside.

Can you get some Poffertjes from Team Cygnus too?

(And what is Wowbagger doing there?)

I'll ask the Cygnus gang next year (though I'll have to Google 'poffertjes' first).

The beardy twonk is one Scott Wilson from Maryland (the one near Washington DC, not the one in east Londonton).  His stinginess is legendary.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1058 on: 16 September, 2014, 09:55:54 am »
Our local fish and chip shop is Very Good. Dez went there to buy his dinner yesterday evening. I now have another reason to admire them.

The customer in front of Dez asked for "fries". As one, all the staff chorused "We don't sell fries!" and one added "if you want that sort of rubbish, go to MacDonald's."

Name and praise.

It is The Fish House, in East Street, Prittlewell. Here.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1059 on: 17 September, 2014, 11:48:24 pm »
The only "cookies" in the vending machine in this motel are Blueberry Shortbread :sick:  Why no Choc Chip, eh?  EH??!?1?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1060 on: 20 September, 2014, 06:29:02 pm »
Some of today's brambles with cheese:

IMG_4028 by The Pingus, on Flickr

I've just made the crumble topping to use with the rest of them  :P

« Reply #1061 on: 20 September, 2014, 07:14:56 pm »
Charlotte is making mackerel risotto for dinner. It is a) delicious and b) made from a recipe for four people, shared between just two of us.

Nom nom nom -> soon.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1062 on: 21 September, 2014, 03:27:30 am »
The top stayed on the pot of ground chilis this evening.

Unlike yesterday >:( :sick:

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #1063 on: 21 September, 2014, 06:05:30 pm »
Today I was wondering round a supermarket and decided that I fancied pilchards in tomato sauce in a sandwich, so bought a tin and bought bread...even though I'm making my own.  So yummy?  Can't remember that I have ever eaten pilchards in tomato sauce.  Do you warm them?

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1064 on: 21 September, 2014, 06:49:17 pm »
Do you warm them?

Nah. Straight out of the tin.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1065 on: 21 September, 2014, 06:52:06 pm »
  Do you warm them?

No.  Your body will do that once they're inside.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1066 on: 21 September, 2014, 07:50:42 pm »
Not warranting a thread of its own, but isn't it nice when you go to a restaurant and tell them you are not in a hurry... And that 'not being in a hurry' is understood to mean that you are happy to take your time, people watch, nibble your starter and not have the main course prepared until you've actually finished your starter.

At least it has been nice that my waiter this evening understood that. It is only pasta, it is only a cheap meal, but it is after an Audax and I'm tired. Not in a rush. My tummy is on a go slow too, even though I'm hungry.

I'm happy to find a waiter who has been understanding, even though the restaurant is busy.

Chris S

« Reply #1067 on: 21 September, 2014, 09:22:29 pm »

Erm... That's not a "Meal" though, right? More - a pudding/cheese course combo because "You're on a diet". ?

« Reply #1068 on: 21 September, 2014, 10:02:45 pm »

Erm... That's not a "Meal" though, right? More - a pudding/cheese course combo because "You're on a diet". ?

That's not really even a cheese portion either. Plate with a hint of cheese, maybe.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1069 on: 21 September, 2014, 10:06:53 pm »
As it happens, Mrs. B and I collected some blackers on our walk above Llangranog this morning.  Just enough to add to tonight's apple crumble, we didn't bother with the lbs and lbs left on the bushes.  Half a doggie poo bag full is enough, surely?
It struck me that the season seems to be much extended this year.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1070 on: 21 September, 2014, 11:19:48 pm »
Aren't brambles picked after 1 October said to be 'cursed'?
Such stories suggest the season frequently extends.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1071 on: 21 September, 2014, 11:34:33 pm »
You can tell a blackberry when the devil's got it - it loses is lustre and is unpleasant to the taste.

Nevertheless, I have picked and eaten blackberries in November before now - delicious!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #1072 on: 22 September, 2014, 10:33:23 am »
Today I was wondering round a supermarket and decided that I fancied pilchards in tomato sauce in a sandwich, so bought a tin and bought bread...even though I'm making my own.  So yummy?  Can't remember that I have ever eaten pilchards in tomato sauce.  Do you warm them?

Lightly grilled sardines on hot toast are nice, but I think warmed up pilchards in tomato sauce would be a bit funny.

For sardine/pilchard sandwiches, I prefer salad cream to tomato sauce, or salad cream added to the tomato sauce.  Gallons of salad cream.  (Sardines are just small pilchards).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1073 on: 22 September, 2014, 03:45:48 pm »
It struck me that the season seems to be much extended this year.
Aren't brambles picked after 1 October said to be 'cursed'?
Such stories suggest the season frequently extends.

Sounds about right to me. I'm sure last year's blackberry season both started and finished much later than this year's.

The devil has definitely got to what's left of this year's crop round my way. Shame, cos I missed out - there were loads ready to eat this time a month ago but I was too busy to go picking.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #1074 on: 22 September, 2014, 06:39:05 pm »
Do you warm them?

Nah. Straight out of the tin.

Do you warm them?

No.  Your body will do that once they're inside.

Have never had tinned pilchards in tomato sauce and no idea where the craving came from.

Lightly grilled sardines on hot toast are nice, but I think warmed up pilchards in tomato sauce would be a bit funny.

For sardine/pilchard sandwiches, I prefer salad cream to tomato sauce, or salad cream added to the tomato sauce.  Gallons of salad cream.  (Sardines are just small pilchards).

Doesn;t that make seafood sauce.