Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 523768 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Oops!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I'm pretty impressed to see the word at all.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Shame it's not more universally available; once tasted, never forgotten.

Still, I want my apple & pear chutney! Don't get me wrong, I like plums; I just want a 'sharper' chutney!

dim

if you enjoy chutney, get Mrs Balls chutney (some Tescos's and Sainsbury's sell it, or you can buy it online from Amazon or ebay)

South African Chutney made from peaches
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Is Mrs Ball's high on chilli? Partner Does Not Like very hot...
Might give it a go though.
Silly thing is we liked this apple & pear confection and now it appears to have been discontinued, like many things that *just* right...

Sainsbury's seem to have discontinued their 'Taste the Difference' Spiced Apple and Pear Chutney, without supplying any satisfactory substitute.

Seems to still be available, according to the website - at least for delivery to me ...

If it's not showing on the site when you're logged in to order, it's possible that either they've dropped it from your local store, or changed the store that your deliveries come from to one with a narrower range.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sainsbury's seem to have discontinued their 'Taste the Difference' Spiced Apple and Pear Chutney, without supplying any satisfactory substitute.

Seems to still be available, according to the website - at least for delivery to me ...

If it's not showing on the site when you're logged in to order, it's possible that either they've dropped it from your local store, or changed the store that your deliveries come from to one with a narrower range.
[/quote

I might take a look to see if it would be available for delivery chez parents. I already have their address set up on my account and think they are supplied from a different store/depot.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Mind your rubbery yoghurt: www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/news/2016/15375/yeo-valley-recalls-chilled-yoghurt-products

Bit late for me.  Already eaten two of the recalled pots.  Yes I'm feeling bouncy today.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I love my new smoothie maker. This morning my smoothie is melon, cucumber and mint.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

Cooked some nutterbut squash. Boy said it tasted like chicken.  ???

You buy chutney?
Dead easy to make your own, even easier than jam.
Mrs. M has just made some nice sweet courgette chutney, using home grown courgettes. :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The missus made a dartois; cod, spinach and onions in a flaky pastry tart.  Wondrous.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mind your rubbery yoghurt: www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/news/2016/15375/yeo-valley-recalls-chilled-yoghurt-products

Bit late for me.  Already eaten two of the recalled pots.  Yes I'm feeling bouncy today.

So, Tesco Finest Strawberries & Cream Yoghurt is essentially the same thing as Sainsbury’s Basics Strawberry Yogurt, give or take a few drops of nature-indentical flavouring, some fancy packaging and several times the price? 
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I am baking a CAEK for the first time in ages.
David's 'friends' have invited themselves round to watch tonight's ISS Sun transit.
We will not eat excessive CAEK....

T42

• Apprentice geezer
When taken with the sneezing I often grab a sheet of kitchen roll for a handkerchief.
Our current kitchen roll has dessert recipes on it.
I just blew my nose in a strawberry smoothie.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
BBC BEER quiz - how ell do you know your stupid BEER names.

17/20, which is not bad considering that 19 of my answers were guesses.

(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
'Terry's' Chocolate Oranges have shrunk from 175g (I think) to 157g.
I think they might have been 200g in the past.
Lindor truffles are getting pricy.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1868 on: 01 September, 2016, 04:49:04 pm »
BBC BEER quiz - how ell do you know your stupid BEER names.

17/20, which is not bad considering that 19 of my answers were guesses.

(click to show/hide)

15/20 on a similar basis
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1869 on: 01 September, 2016, 10:18:10 pm »
'Terry's' Chocolate Oranges have shrunk from 175g (I think) to 157g.
I think they might have been 200g in the past.
Lindor truffles are getting pricy.

That's what happens when you shift production out of Yorkshire. it's a slippery slope.
Before too long they will be pitched alongside  Cadbury's Creme Eggs.

« Reply #1870 on: 07 September, 2016, 02:16:08 pm »
I'm harvesting onions.

The huge tractors towing even bigger trailers full of onions onto the old airbase where I work tend not to slow down sufficiently to keep all of them on board as they round the roundabout onto the base where they have hangers for storage. For two days now I've managed to ride home with a full saddlebag worth of nice big freshly harvested onions. Red and brown varieties!

Too many more and I'll have to ride home with them on string round my shoulders!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1871 on: 07 September, 2016, 03:49:30 pm »
Take a striped shirt and a pack of Gitanes, just in case.

« Reply #1872 on: 08 September, 2016, 02:13:55 pm »
After Eight mints that are three months out of date (found at the back of the cupboard) taste just fine.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1873 on: 08 September, 2016, 08:01:00 pm »
Waitrose Miniature Full Flavour Potatoes.
I've sauté'd some of these and then rolled them in chilli powder to accompany my pork, beef, Guinness and Dijon mustard burger.

I would consider doing the same again.

ETA - Dijon vu = Same mustard as you had yesterday.

« Reply #1874 on: 08 September, 2016, 09:27:00 pm »
After Eight mints that are three months out of date (found at the back of the cupboard) taste just fine.

A box of After Eights can go out of date last more than twenty minutes??!!  ??? ???

Well I've learnt something today.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1