Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 523683 times)

They'll be fine.

I ate oysters yesterday, that's my risky food adventure for this week!
Ooh err.  I do believe that there is no  'R' in the month.   :jurek:

Last time I ate oysters was ~30 years ago, at a Nordsee shop in Stuttgart.  I spent half the night sitting on the loo with a bucket under my face.

Which is why I've always previously avoided them, even when touring on the French coast where you can get them just hauled out of the sea.   I've had a really bad upset stomach on tour once (Norway) and it's not something I want to repeat. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

OMG! Salad grows out of grown and doesn't spontaneously appear in a plastic bag on supermarket shelves. It's protein, goddamnit, be a man.

Organic salad, Hampstead.
http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/health/architect-discovers-rodent-in-ready-to-eat-belsize-park-tesco-salad-1-5090464

“I am still feeling pretty shaken up by the experience – although, to be fair, that might also have something to do with the half bottle of single malt whiskey I downed

When I was a lad, we considered ourselves lucky if we got a whole shrew. The kids next door got whole shrews nearly every day, posh, they were.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Shrew in parsley sauce.
Nommy :thumbsup:

It's very sad and possibly slightly disgusting that, based around my experiences in a boarding school, I had to search around that article to find the "in 10 minutes" qualifier to understand why it was considered a big deal.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Lightly-toasted gingerbread served warm with vanilla ice-cream is excellent.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Service at Bang Bang was not chop-chop.
http://www.bangbangoriental.com

The air conditioning made the place cold and draughty.

The Food Hall upstairs didn't quite have the ambiance of a motorway service station on a sunny bank holiday weekend because the service station is more convivial...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.

Photo taken in 2014 in Bus Hostel, where the mortal remains are (presumably still) preserved.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Just packing away a fair bit of leftover food in tupperware containers from a big family meal as I ruined my appetite by eating a box of mint viscount biscuits in the late afternoon. I saw them when running an errand and bought them on a whim. I realised that I seem to enjoy any chocolate that is wrapped in green silver foil, Viscount biscuits, Bendicks bittermints and Noisette whirls in Quality street. I'm not a big fan of mint, and so I think that I just must be attracted to anything in green silver foil.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Whoever invented the Magnum Double Raspberry deserves an OBE or something.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Some years ago I was amused to see a brand of wine with a picture of a cat sitting on an egg, which made a nice visual pun spelled out by the name "Le chat en oeuf". Following on from my memories of the Luton shop Shooz the chemists and the recent news reports on Singhsbury's, Morrisingh's etc, I was disappointed today to find that while the cat is still sitting on the egg, the brand name is now Le Petit Chat Malin.

These larger concerns REALLY believe people will get confused?
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I think the larger concerns want to show their POWER.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Wake up, BBC - our very own hellymedic has been reporting on this phenomenon for some years:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40703866
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Every summer the UHT milk sold by our local supermarket (motto: We're the only game in town, suck it up) comes with a ring of fat around the rim that floats on your tea like white snot or maggots. I reckon they're stocking it too warm. It's harmless but bloody disgusting.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sounds like homogenisation, not storage, is sub-optimal.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Yebbut it only happens in hot weather.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Sounds like a job for Etch-a-Sketch debugging technique #1

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Yebbut it only happens in hot weather.

I understand summer milk naturally has a higher fat content BICBW. This might 'challenge' the homogenisation.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Nah, it's too cohesive.

BTW, recipe for domestic Armageddon: one Etch-a-Sketch, two children.

I understand summer milk naturally has a higher fat content BICBW. This might 'challenge' the homogenisation.

Yup: grass vs. silage etc.  It's a thought.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Nah, it's too cohesive.

Absolutely.  I had a little brother.  One might naively expect one child to control the horizontal and the other to control the vertical.  What actually happens is one child controls the Etch-a-Sketch, and the other gets bashed on the head with it...

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Nah, it's too cohesive.

ONE brother?
You was robbed!
Try this with THREE brothers and two sisters...  ;) ;D

Absolutely.  I had a little brother.  One might naively expect one child to control the horizontal and the other to control the vertical.  What actually happens is one child controls the Etch-a-Sketch, and the other gets bashed on the head with it...

Actually...

In the UK summer milk usually has a lower bf content- Butterfat content being affected by food intake and lactation length.
High bf correlates to high fibre, so in the UK that’s historically a winter thing when the beasts eat hay. Similarly, traditionally herds calve in the spring and it’s only come autumn that the late lactation full fat comes in. Silage doesn't make much d

Over there in FORRIN, the grass is standing hay at this time of year, mebbe?

Either way it shouldn't have any effect on the homogonisation. The whole point of that is to make the fat globs small enough that they disperse throughout.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I appreciate the POINT of homogenisation but my milk (British, semi-skimmed, in glass bottles) also forms a cream deposit on the bottle in the summer.