Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 532786 times)

This made me smile? gag?  Whatever.

https://at-home.danddlondon.com/meal-kits/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
This made me smile? gag?  Whatever.

https://at-home.danddlondon.com/meal-kits/

That German Gymnasium Butcher's Plate kit looks like it contains enough protein to feed at least four people. Looked at that way, the price doesn't seem so silly.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

I normally take a Rayneresque view of restaurant pricing, it's not just the sum of the ingredients, but that's a bit steep. I've eaten there and it's nice, but well, I've had better schnitzel for far, far less (there's a lovely place in Basel where they bash and cook it next to your table, and I think a dinner plate-sized schnitzel last cost me about EUR13.99 with sides).

citoyen

I'd never heard of German Gymnasium before today but I just looked at their website and have learned that it is conveniently situated in King's Cross.

Two observations. One, it's not very convenient for me, down here in Kent. Two, stop getting estate agents to write your website copy.

The Butcher's plate on their menu is £29.50 per person, so D&D's mark-up isn't too outrageous.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
[POBI]
Nigella's Recipe of the Day is Bitter Orange Tart...
https://www.nigella.com/recipes/bitter-orange-tart

citoyen

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Tesco Paleta de cebo (fancy Spanish ham).

Their description:

Made from specially selected Iberico pigs from the South West of Spain. Our Iberico Paleta de Cebo is matured for a minimum of 12 months allowing ample time for the naturally occurring marbled fat to develop its umami-rich flavour and silky smooth texture. Thinly sliced to ensure exceptional texture and flavour delivery when served at room temperature.
Please note: like people, no two pigs are the same. Therefore it's natural to see varying fat to meat ratios in this product.

"Like people"? Really? You're trying to sell meat "like people"?

I decided not to click on the 'rest of shelf', just in case...
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Food with too many adjectives...

In cannibalistic circles humans are known as long pig, after all. 1

1: At least according to my recollection of Swallows and Amazons.

On the Supermarket Substitution Sweepstakes, I did a Sainsbo's delivery and got 12 (one brand) eggs substituted with 6 of another (which was fine) and 12 quails eggs, which was not.

My mother managed to order a sprout from Sainsburys.  It came in its own plastic bag and cost 3p.  Apparently she didn't even share it with my father   ::-)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
My mother managed to order a sprout from Sainsburys.  It came in its own plastic bag and cost 3p.  Apparently she didn't even share it with my father   ::-)

Most people who have ordered online have not unchecked 'item' to check' kg' and have ended up with a single mushroom or carrot.

I certainly have!

Make that mistake in the other direction, of course, and you'll receive 8kg of bananas, which is rather a lot.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Only if you enter '8' in the box. Default setting for sales by weight is 0.5kg.

After recognising that a weekly trip to Waitrose was probably my riskiest activity, I have started using their delivery service. It's no good waiting to book the next slot after a delivery as nothing is available for more than a week, so I have to reserve the next slot earlier. As we can't accurately estimate what we need at that point, and there's a £40 minimum order, I plonk a bottle of single malt in the trolley to retain the slot. So far I've managed to remember to remove it later, which is just as well as I don't drink whisky.

I don't understand how supermarkets can do this without charging to cover the costs of picking and delivery, as their margins aren't that great percentage wise.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
We do the same, normally bookmark with an expensive champagne
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen

In cannibalistic circles humans are known as long pig, after all. 1

Eating people is wrong.
1: At least according to my recollection of Swallows and Amazons.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Even roast leg of insewerants salesman?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
From Beeb Norn Iron:

Punched Potatoes

8 scrubbed medium potatoes (roasters work well here)
Sea salt
Olive oil

Method

Boil the potatoes in their jackets for 15 minutes and drain and dry in the pan.
Heat oven to 200oc.
Drizzle a roasting tray with a tablespoon of oil and add the potatoes.
Put a clean tea towel on top and press the potatoes with a potato smasher or rolling pin to crush slightly and split the skin.
Remove tea towel and drizzle oil over the potatoes and scatter with sea salt.
Cook for 25 minutes or until crisp and golden on the outside, soft in the middle.
Serve.

Looks interesting
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
After recognising that a weekly trip to Waitrose was probably my riskiest activity, I have started using their delivery service. It's no good waiting to book the next slot after a delivery as nothing is available for more than a week, so I have to reserve the next slot earlier. As we can't accurately estimate what we need at that point, and there's a £40 minimum order, I plonk a bottle of single malt in the trolley to retain the slot. So far I've managed to remember to remove it later, which is just as well as I don't drink whisky.

I don't understand how supermarkets can do this without charging to cover the costs of picking and delivery, as their margins aren't that great percentage wise.
It's been strongly suggested, pre Covid, that they all rushed into deliveries to stop their rivals gaining market share, and now they're all desperately wondering how they can either get out of it or charge a realistic delivery fee without losing customers. It sounds a bit like newspapers rushing into putting all their content online free.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We do the same, normally bookmark with an expensive champagne

I reserve my Sainsbury's slot by making a placeholder order ASAP after slots are released. It contains many of my usuals and attempts to take advantage of current Special Offers. I revisit it a few days before the actual delivery, as well as the night before, to trim off stuff we won't need and check late availability/unavailability.

I'll probably make an order for 8 February before I go to bed.

I placemark with gin, now that Christmas chocolates are no longer available.

We don't drink gin.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I can only order items that are listed.
Order is now placed for 8 February. It's a viable list, which I'll teak nearer the time.

From Beeb Norn Iron:

Punched Potatoes

8 scrubbed medium potatoes (roasters work well here)
Sea salt
Olive oil

Method

Boil the potatoes in their jackets for 15 minutes and drain and dry in the pan.
Heat oven to 200oc.
Drizzle a roasting tray with a tablespoon of oil and add the potatoes.
Put a clean tea towel on top and press the potatoes with a potato smasher or rolling pin to crush slightly and split the skin.
Remove tea towel and drizzle oil over the potatoes and scatter with sea salt.
Cook for 25 minutes or until crisp and golden on the outside, soft in the middle.
Serve.

Looks interesting

Sinilar is the Jamie Oliver version, although he peels his. Parboil and dry, toss to roughen. Toss in olive oil/goose fat, add a couple of closves of crushed garlic and some thyme. Put in tin on floor of a 180C oven while roasting joint above, for 1 hr.  Take out, squish with masher a bit, put back for 30 minutes. 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Goose fat, by god.  Great stuff. In Germany we used to get Griebenschmaltz, which was usually pork dripping with onion, but you could get it made from goose fat as well.  We used to put it in sauerkraut. Spud recipe looks good though, thanks!

Anyway, my random foodity of the day: opened up the pack of Spanish mandarins we bought today and found a snail nestling in the bottom. Dead, alas. No, we didn't eat it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight