Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 523805 times)

good vodka

Ha! Good one.

Seriously though...

I quite like gin neat.

Yes, I do like a well-made martini. ;)

Never really understood this homeopathic treatment of the other ingredient of a Martini. "Just a sniff of the cork", "just let the light shine through the vermouth toward the gin", etc.

I'm perfectly happy drinking gin, perfectly happy drinking Martinis...but, unusually it seems, I consider them to be different activities. I tried all these ultra-low-quantity-of-vermouth type behaviours, and the refusal to shake because stirring is...better? Somehow? All that stuff, I did it for years. I was a cocktail bartender, and I believed the propaganda. I was suckered in by the folklore.

But then I had a go at the old Dry Martini recipe in the Savoy Cocktail Book from the 1930s, from before people thought James Bond made up shaking, before The Rules And Opinions Of Martini Connoisseurs Who Are Better Than You And Know The Truth were written, and honestly, it's fantastic. So simple, completely bang on.

2 Dry Gin (I use Tanqueray, usually, as I'm a fan of a piney, juniper-forward type flavour, especially if I'm going to mix it - I want the essential gin flavour to be there)
1 French Vermouth (I go for Noilly Prat...occasionally Dolin, but usually Noilly)
Shake well with ice, strain into a cocktail glass

You can taste more than just gin! Imagine that!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
In Len Deighton's “Spy Story” Colonel Schlegel opined that a Martini should contain “really cold Beefeater” and no more than 7% dry vermouth.  But then he was from the US Marine Corps.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

<ObligLehrer>

Quote from: Bright College Days
Hearts full of youth,
Hearts full of truth,
Six parts gin to one part vermouth.

http://graeme.50webs.com/lehrer/college.htm
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
As per the link, it's a drink ;)

Anyone can use Google. This is more the kind of answer I was after:

If you get the opportunity, I would suggest trying it. It's not as if it is entirely groundbreaking, but it is in a different direction that the flowery palate of botanicals that stalk the UK gin scene. if you've tried good vodka (which will probably have been tasted in a USSR aligned state), it's closer to that - designed to be drunk on its own. A jonge jenever over ice is very accessible, but an oude on its own (rather like what is clutched in  my paw at the present moment) is very, very good.

:thumbsup:

Never really understood this homeopathic treatment of the other ingredient of a Martini. "Just a sniff of the cork", "just let the light shine through the vermouth toward the gin", etc.

Just an excuse to drink neat gin, isn’t it?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

It is weirdly anaemic. I want enough quinine to cure an elephant of malaria.

You know you can buy tonic/flavouring and add it to fizzy water (best added in the glass, to taste)?  No aspartane, just sugary syrup.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

It was alleged that Alec Issigonnis designed the door pockets tin the Mini (the original and genuine one) to hold the makings of the perfect Martini; many bottles of gin and one of vermouth.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
I have some baguette (aldi baked in store) some camembert warming on the kitchen table.

Now shall I add some onion in to the mix?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Today has been Fat Thursday aka Doughnut Day and I didn't realize! I'd miscounted and thought it was next week. Oh well maybe I'll have a doughnut tomorrow, a nice big fat one with gooey red jam in the middle.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Dinner was basic but damn nice. Previous night's leftover jackets, scoop out, mix with an egg, smoked paprika, quite a bit of chopped spring onion, bit of cheddar cheese. Rebaked in oven and eaten with a version of coleslaw made with chinese cabbage.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Humph. We've been looking for spring onions for a couple of weeks now with no success.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Humph. We've been looking for spring onions for a couple of weeks now with no success.
We get an oddbox, whose premise is fruit and veg that the supermarkets can’t use - too many, too big, too small, to weird. Spring onions were in there this week :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
St David's day and pancake day on the same day this year.
Groan.  I am suffering from a surfeit of crempog and cwrw.
Urrrp.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Nuts !  on my last several visits to the local Co-Op they have had no cashews or peanuts, nor any type of nut at all.    Crisps seem depleted as well.

Is this just an issue with my local branch or is there a nationwide shortage  ???
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Nuts !  on my last several visits to the local Co-Op they have had no cashews or peanuts, nor any type of nut at all.    Crisps seem depleted as well.

Is this just an issue with my local branch or is there a nationwide shortage  ???

KP got hacked last month and said their supply would be stretched thin while they recovered from that.
https://www.insurancetimes.co.uk/news/kp-snacks-supply-chain-crunches-to-halt-after-ransomware-attack/1440238.article
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Urrrp.

I did think about leek pancakes, but opted for Biscoff instead. :-X

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Urrrp.

Sounds like a lot of crèpes.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Monday's Sainsbury's delivery did have the budget 'Just Snax' peanuts but didn't have the cashew kernels.
The previous Monday's didn't have the peanuts.

That's just me in Outer London.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

There was a bit of a nut shortage in Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles in the early overs of the plague, but supplies seem OK now.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Urrrp.

Leek pancakes?   :hand:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Quote from: Basil

Yeah, it's a Staffordshire thing. Stoke up the fire...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Quote from: Basil

Yeah, it's a Staffordshire thing. Stoke up the fire...
Are they Stone baked?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
The hierarchy of crisps:
Salt & vinegar
Pickled onion
Brannigans Roast Beef & MUSTARD
Lime Doritos
Cool Doritos
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

The hierarchy of crisps:
Salt & vinegar
Pickled onion
Brannigans Roast Beef & MUSTARD
Lime Doritos
Cool Doritos

I'm assuming there are some gaps in that list? Such as the several thousands of blank spaces that sit above Cool Doritos, but below Arse, Burnt Tyres and Something At The Back Of The Fridge Which I Don't Recognise But Which Is Hairy And Seems To Have Moved Unbidden?