Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 523698 times)

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #4600 on: 15 September, 2022, 03:35:59 pm »

Smoked trout (which I prefer to salmon, it has better flavour IMHO)

Smoked sea trout is just the dogs.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #4601 on: 15 September, 2022, 06:15:01 pm »
Yeah, and wicker-smoked mainlander. I don't think so.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4602 on: 15 September, 2022, 06:35:24 pm »

Smoked trout (which I prefer to salmon, it has better flavour IMHO)

Smoked sea trout is just the dogs.

+1, Ian's just jealous that our tastebuds still work, whereas his were destroyed by a youth of Findus crispy pancakes
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4603 on: 16 September, 2022, 09:03:49 am »
Yeah, and wicker-smoked mainlander. I don't think so.

Don't be silly. No building of wicker edifices here. Not enough trees.

We carefully preserve bodies in the peat bogs.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4604 on: 18 September, 2022, 07:37:38 pm »
Smoked salmon is wonderful.

In other news, Jan and I went out to see if we could find some blackberries this afternoon. They were well past their best and very small. Those we saw in Suffolk a fortnight ago were much better, but then Suffolk had some rain in August and we had virtually none.

We picked some and they are currently stewing with some bramley apples and may be crumblified later.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4605 on: 23 September, 2022, 09:32:49 am »
I was in one of the fleet vans today, was out as a courtesy van a couple of months back

Apple fell out my bag and rolled under seat. Found a pack of sugared ring donuts under the seat which are probably a couple of months old and scarily only some mould. Probably shows how much shit is in them that they haven't gone completely off

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I am trying my Brød & Taylor proofer / slow cooker as a slow cooker today. I have never used a slow cooker.
I usually cook my pork cheeks in the oven but in the interests of energy saving I thought I'd give this a go.
Could either be really good or Pingu and I will be ordering a late night Deliveroo .
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Received a kilo of green Guatemalan Atitllan coffee today, got out the old popper and took 80g to second crack just to see what a darker roast would give me.  I have a drum roaster on order but I couldn't resist making the kitchen smell like a roastery again while I'm waiting.

I'll maybe try some tomorrow in the Bialetti or the vacuum pot. Haven't got a dripper any more.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
I am trying my Brød & Taylor proofer / slow cooker as a slow cooker today. I have never used a slow cooker.
I usually cook my pork cheeks in the oven but in the interests of energy saving I thought I'd give this a go.
Could either be really good or Pingu and I will be ordering a late night Deliveroo .
Well, that was edible but pants.

Keep eating too much chocolate (reaction to work stress) and running out. So last night I made some flapjacks (the oven is hot anyway, courtesy of the oil stove).

Oh, shit, I'm going to get so fat.  nom nom nom nom
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I have discovered an unopened pack of couscous, best before date September 2014.

What is the panel's opinion regarding whether we should eat it or not?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
If it's dry, unopened, not got insects in it, then I don't see anything that would go wrong with it. Suggest you open it, smell it, reject if there are any signs of mould etc, but there probably won't be.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I don't know how much fat there is in couscous (I suspect not much) but this go rancid and stale.

If it smells/tastes stale, it won't harm you but it won't charm you either.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I don't know how much fat there is in couscous (I suspect not much) but this go rancid and stale.

If it smells/tastes stale, it won't harm you but it won't charm you either.

Durum wheat is ~2.5% by weight, sez Google.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Enough to acquire a 'stale' aroma/flavour.

Might be possible to mask this with some flavourings.

As I posted 'stale' will neither harm nor charm...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Same applies to raisins coated with semi-rancid oil to stop them sticking together. Blerk.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We go through raisins FAR to fast for that to be an issue.

Dunno about last years cheap dried mixed fruit though...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sainsbury's Special Offers this week include Terry's Chocolate Oranges for £1.
I've bought the milk and dark sort already.
I see there's a white chocolate orange.
Is it  :sick: or worth buying?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
We go through raisins FAR to fast for [rancid oil] to be an issue.

Some we've had have tasted rancid when newly bought.  Not sure if that included Trader Joe's, but they're so insipid as to be repulsive without additives.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We go through raisins FAR to fast for [rancid oil] to be an issue.

Some we've had have tasted rancid when newly bought.  Not sure if that included Trader Joe's, but they're so insipid as to be repulsive without additives.

Sainsbury's own brand raisins seem fine to me: sharp enough to have some 'bite', which is lacking in the sultanas I no longer like. Quite a few grape seeds recently though.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
It's pizza night Chez Pingu.

Yes, there will be goat funk and bee sick.
And also spinach and egg  :P

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Spinach and egg is the best pizza.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
I forgot to put mozzarella on the first one. And the rocket was a bit past it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
One for the Brussels sprouts fans:
https://justinesnacks.com/brussels-sprout-salad-with-anchovy-tahini-zaatar-chickpeas/

We had this for dinner last night. It's incredible.

My wife found a video of Justine, whoever she might be, making this dish on TikTok. She often shares these mad recipes with me that she finds on social media, and I often don't like the look of them, but this one really appealed - I mean, sprouts, anchovies and tahini... what's not to like? Amazing combination.

The recipe specifies baking the sprouts and chickpeas but given that using the oven is prohibitively expensive these days, I think you could just as easily stir-fry the sprouts and "toast" the chickpeas in a dry pan to achieve the same effect.

It's also a bit extravagant in how much tahini it uses, but what the hell, I like tahini *a lot*.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

Aligned with that, there's the chicken and whole head of garlic casserole which sounds a bit vampire-challenging, but left all day in a slow cooker is lush, the garlic mellows completely over the long cooking time. Chicken, beans, white wine, lots of garlic, any fresh herbs you've got to hand. Chicken with twenty cloves of garlic (use forty if you do it in the oven as it's hotter, and arguably better, but the slow cooker method is brill for the terminally lazy).