Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 523713 times)

couronne d'ail ("Crown of garlic") is the term you're looking for, I'll see your 40 and raise another 20.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I've got half a bag of spinach that needs using up. Any ideas for a quick ish and easy dinner with it?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Saute leek, add spinach, and anything else green like chopped celery or courgettes or frozen peas if not enough spinach
Cook lightly
Add ricotta, nutmeg, S&P
Mix into cooked pasta. Into dish, top with grated parmesan.
Grill or stick in oven to brown
Serve with broccoli or whatever

ian

Beaten to it because I went to investigate a strange noise...

Baked with pasta, cheese, some nutmeg, some more cheese, and breadcrumbs (wilt under boiling water and drain the spinach first.

Or sag paneer, if you have paneer, of course. Halloumi works too. Not cheddar though.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Underwhelmed by Illy cup and saucer design.
Went to local 'dessert lounge 'on Sunday, with D & 2 friends.

My hot chocolate arrived in a large cup, which had a broad top and a tiny base. This rested on a saucer, which had a raised centre.
Friend kicked the table inadvertently.

I ended up with hot chocolate up the sleeve of my rain jacket and cardigan, in my trousers and in my pants.

A square-based mug might not look as pretty but would not have tipped...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Saute leek, add spinach, and anything else green like chopped celery or courgettes or frozen peas if not enough spinach
Cook lightly
Add ricotta, nutmeg, S&P
Mix into cooked pasta. Into dish, top with grated parmesan.
Grill or stick in oven to brown
Serve with broccoli or whatever

Hmm no ricotta, maybe I can get away with parmesan

You can substitute the ricotta with thick yogurt - plus a bit of cornflour to stop it splitting.
I interchange yog, ricotta, marscarpone in a lot of things.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
I did leeks, mushrooms, spinach, the end of a pot of cream and then parmesan in the end.

ian

To be honest, the only sensible use case for ricotta is cannoli.

Also, entirely true fact, I have a sea otter called Rick rescued from the Monterey Bay Aquarium gift shop.

One for the Brussels sprouts fans:
https://justinesnacks.com/brussels-sprout-salad-with-anchovy-tahini-zaatar-chickpeas/

We had this for dinner last night. It's incredible.

My wife found a video of Justine, whoever she might be, making this dish on TikTok. She often shares these mad recipes with me that she finds on social media, and I often don't like the look of them, but this one really appealed - I mean, sprouts, anchovies and tahini... what's not to like? Amazing combination.

The recipe specifies baking the sprouts and chickpeas but given that using the oven is prohibitively expensive these days, I think you could just as easily stir-fry the sprouts and "toast" the chickpeas in a dry pan to achieve the same effect.

It's also a bit extravagant in how much tahini it uses, but what the hell, I like tahini *a lot*.
I had this for my tea last night and it's now lunch with hard boiled eggs. It's fecking delish.

Apparently it doesn't smell as bad as previous 'bin cuisine' - the generic work term for anything you can't buy in Asda as a ready meal.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Hurrah!  :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Stir frying is the best way to cook brussel sprouts.

In other food news . . .
We went for a meal out on Sat, not a common event.

The Harbour Kitchen just won Scottish restaurant of the year, so we had to make a trip. Plus, the poor buggers have been hit with a plague of 'no-shows' (14 in one evening. They only have about 20 tables.)
Starters
A mackerel dish for mrs C. Excellent
Rosti in onion and thyme broth for me. Absolutely divine.

Scallops in lemon butter for MrsC, Seabass for me. Wouldn't normally order seabass, it is a pointless bland fish, but this was fantastic.

presentation of food was flawless.

Cost . . .  I'm told I'm a miserly grump and just over £100 for two is normal.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Been going gyoza-mad recently. Spent 2½ hours last Saturday making wrappers, then MrsT and I made and ate 33 of the things yesterday. Shrimps, onion, coriander leaf, ginger, hoi sin etc. Nom but weight rising.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

Been going gyoza-mad recently. Spent 2½ hours last Saturday making wrappers, then MrsT and I made and ate 33 of the things yesterday. Shrimps, onion, coriander leaf, ginger, hoi sin etc. Nom but weight rising.

I would be very willing to come round to yours and spread the calorific burden. Just say the word.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

I would be very willing to come round to yours and spread the calorific burden. Just say the word.

Any time. How good are you with a rolling-pin?

One for the Brussels sprouts fans:
https://justinesnacks.com/brussels-sprout-salad-with-anchovy-tahini-zaatar-chickpeas/

We had this for dinner last night. It's incredible.

My wife found a video of Justine, whoever she might be, making this dish on TikTok. She often shares these mad recipes with me that she finds on social media, and I often don't like the look of them, but this one really appealed - I mean, sprouts, anchovies and tahini... what's not to like? Amazing combination.

The recipe specifies baking the sprouts and chickpeas but given that using the oven is prohibitively expensive these days, I think you could just as easily stir-fry the sprouts and "toast" the chickpeas in a dry pan to achieve the same effect.

It's also a bit extravagant in how much tahini it uses, but what the hell, I like tahini *a lot*.
Just made this for lunch and I have to say it is a bit of a faff to make, but is dead nice.
My sprouts could've done with staying in the oven a bit longer but then, I suffer from oven feebleness.
And yes, If you like tahini, this is for you.
I wonder what it is like served cold.

ETA - A question for those who have made ^ this - Does it keep in the fridge, and if so, for how long? Can it be re-heated in a microwave? - I'm thinking of Tuesday's lunch. What could possibly go wrong?

citoyen

By coincidence, I was reading Jane Grigson on sprouts this morning. She reckons they don't keep well and the flavour becomes harsher if they're reheated, but I can't say I've noticed that - in my experience, they are fine when reheated.

What I can tell you is that under-roasting the sprouts is far preferable to over-roasting them, which makes them very bitter.

Grigson lists some classic recipes for sprouts, all of which sound rather old-fashioned in 2022, mostly involving lots of cream.

I was actually looking for recipes for butternut squash - of which we have a surfeit. Last night, I hacked into the >3kg specimen we harvested from the garden last month. I cut it up and roasted half of it with chilli and oregano, and served it topped with crumbled feta. With some roast potatoes on the side, that made enough for a generous dinner last night, with the leftovers for lunch today.

We still have the other half of it to eat - any suggestions for recipes welcome. Butternut squash apparently never troubled Jane Grigson's radar. I guess they would have been a bit of a rarity in the UK in the 70s.

Just had a great chicken tagine with butternut squash among other veg.

citoyen

Mmm, there's a thought.

We've got some nice sausages in, so I'm leaning towards a simple sausage & squash traybake, but transforming it into something tagine-like is tempting.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Had a go at Thai fishcakes today, OK but our fresh coriander was rotten so had to use dried which isn't half a tenth as good. Also chickened out of adding as much red curry paste as the recipe demanded.

I think I'll use prawns next time.

Had a go at Thai fishcakes today, OK but our fresh coriander was rotten so had to use dried which isn't half a tenth as good. Also chickened out of adding as much red curry paste as the recipe demanded.

I think I'll use prawns next time.
Agree about fresh coriander. Fortunately it freezes very successfully. The way to go if you can't use all of a bunch.

My wife swears she can tell if a stock cube has been used in place of real stock. She can't.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ETA - A question for those who have made ^ this - Does it keep in the fridge, and if so, for how long? Can it be re-heated in a microwave? - I'm thinking of Tuesday's lunch. What could possibly go wrong?

I had the sprouts & topping in the fridge overnight and zapped them at work next day. Still nom.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
If you class a Mars Bar as food . . . .  Mars is in dispute with TESCO and has withdrawn quite a few products.

Being my snack of choice when cycling (Work, Rest & Play) I went to TESCO to purchase some . . .  nothing Mars Bar-wise  BUT a TESCO own brand product called Dreamy Caramel was on the shelves.  Having now consumed a snack size item I really couldn't tell the difference - and they were somewhat cheaper than Mars Bars.

I wonder if the TESCO product will be adopted as a comparison measure of value as the Mars Bar has been for many years (like the worldwide Big Mac Index)?