Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 532925 times)

Thanks for the info.  It looks like the aniseedy culprit in the current jar is star anise rather than caraway.

There is a Moroccan supermarket in Leicester that I will go and have a look around at some point but that can wait until I am passing or the weather improves.  To keep me going I plan to pick up a jar of the Belazu as it looks like Tesco and Waitrose stock it and they are much closer to home.

Phare du Cap Bon is the one in Flatus' link, a good standby

ian

Thanks for the info.  It looks like the aniseedy culprit in the current jar is star anise rather than caraway.

There is a Moroccan supermarket in Leicester that I will go and have a look around at some point but that can wait until I am passing or the weather improves.  To keep me going I plan to pick up a jar of the Belazu as it looks like Tesco and Waitrose stock it and they are much closer to home.

If you make it from scratch, harissa is mostly peppers, garlic with equal parts cumin, coriander, fennel and caraway seeds, blended with a bit of lemon juice and olive oil. For rose harissa, add some rose petals and rose water.

That said, I mostly use the Belazu stuff and it's very tasty and less effort. See also pesto (I've given up making this, in theory, it should be better, but the quality of supermarket basil in this country makes it not worth the effort, the results are often insipid compared to a jar – Belazu do some very good pesto too).

There is a Moroccan supermarket in Leicester that I will go and have a look around at some point but that can wait until I am passing or the weather improves. 

Here you go, this is the Moroccan stuff I picked up in an (Iranian?) supermarket in Bristol:

Can't compare to Belazu, because I haven't tried it, but I'd say this one is pretty good.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
D and I shared a tin of rice pudding tonight.
I decided to have a spoonful of (last year's) Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Matured Mincemeat in my portion.
Which was nice.

Why oh why not go to your local Asian shop for a lot of this stuff, and cheaper normally as well
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

nicknack

• Hornblower
Why oh why not go to your local Asian shop for a lot of this stuff, and cheaper normally as well
Because not everybody has a local Asian shop?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
D and I shared a tin of rice pudding tonight.
I decided to have a spoonful of (last year's) Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Matured Mincemeat in my portion.
Which was nice.

You'll be wanting to tell noted Gammonella Sophie Corcoran all about it! :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Gammonella doesn't seem to know the history of mince pies.

Anyway, I like my cheap'n'cheerful desserts.

Hubbards Rice Pud has gone up to 25p per tin...

The ones which do have meat in are very nice as well.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Indeed but I'd not add that sort of mince to my milky dessert!

They do have the fruit in as well. Wouldn't be too bad with rice pudding.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
If you leave the leftover stuffing in the oven and then fail to turn said oven off while nomming goose ect then instead of having MOAR tasty stuffing to scoff with leftover goose tomorrow you will instead have a big lump of charcoal :'(

The only reason this isn’t in the Fecking Div thread upstairs is because it wasn’t me wot done it.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Aw :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
I have started on the 10lb Christmas cake, made by SO and fed by me.  zOMG it has a lot of brandy in it.  I expect to still be eating it in February.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Someone shoved a tumbler of Tiramisu flavoured Baileys into my hand.  I doubt it will become a regular tipple…..
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
I know not why I have 2 packs of filo pastry taking up room in the freezer. I assume either ordering cock up on my part, or unwanted substitution by Sainsbos.
Anyhow, it being loafing about the house time of year I decided to try and use them up. First up, in a festive bent; tater, pea and Brussels sprout samosas.
Chez Pingu not having a jar of curry powder I winged it with a bit of my pre made East African spiced lentil mix (minus the lentils, obv), some ras el hanout, a bit of harissa spice mix and some turmeric. And salt.
Tasted good but I know why people by these things pre made from the stupormarket now.

2022-12-27_03-08-32 by The Pingus, on Flickr

For the 2nd pack of pastry, the fat bastard side of me wants to make baklava, but that will just result in me eating an entire tray of baklava myself, so not a very good idea.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Made Thai fishcakes for lunch yesterday, dipping sauce was half a bottle of supermarket chili sauce livened up a bit with sriracha.  Results were delightful but the mess we had to clear up afterwards was horrendous.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

We had a lovely organic rolled ribeye joint for Christmas lunch (shout out to Graig Farm, Newtown, Wales, whose meat we’ve had for the last 4 years), a joint I’d previously never come across   Our first beef in many years, just because of cost. It was 2kg and it cost me £76. That was on offer (no idea why) down from £55.45 per kilo! Actually, maybe that’s the reason - the cost!  Anyway, there’s virtually no waste, and it cooked in 1 1/4 hours, so much less work than our more usual shoulder of pork - though the pork is only £15/kg boned and rolled. But at roughly the same price as silverside or topside, much better value.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
For the 2nd pack of pastry, the fat bastard side of me wants to make baklava, but that will just result in me eating an entire tray of baklava myself, so not a very good idea.

Sounds like a bloody brilliant idea to me!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Sainsbos didn't bring me the unsalted pistachios I needed to make it so that's off for now. Which is annoying cos I could have given some to my brother when we go down tomorrow.

Just had a Lidl Finest Vegan Tortilla for supper. Very good it was too. Could have done with a little more onion, but made a very good (and definitely passable) Bocadilla de Tortilla.

The front of the packet claimed "potatoes, chick peas and onion" but it didn't have any noticeable chick peas in it so I assume the egg substitute was gram flour, like we used to make vegan quiche back in the 80's in the Rose Elliot way.

ETA: just read the back of the packet and yes it's "chick pea powder". In fact it doesn't contain anything weird in it other than "bamboo fibre" whatever that is.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Now, that was a success. A cheese making kit was my Xmas pressie from Miss Ham and fam, today 8 pints of milk got turned into 500g of mozzarella and thence into some really decent pizza. Score. And as and added bonus the milk (Waitrose orgasmic) was free.

Sainsbury's plant based no-bacon no-chicken Caesar wrap.
I'm fairly sure I'll not be buying another one of those.  :sick:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Now, that was a success. A cheese making kit was my Xmas pressie from Miss Ham and fam, today 8 pints of milk got turned into 500g of mozzarella and thence into some really decent pizza. Score. And as and added bonus the milk (Waitrose orgasmic) was free.

Consider yourself blessèd.