Author Topic: Next steps in/around Birmingham?  (Read 4473 times)

Next steps in/around Birmingham?
« on: 04 August, 2012, 11:19:06 am »
Hi,

I'm finally back in the saddle again after several years' absence. Oooch!
Low level of fitness; squiffy knee; bit scared of Birmingham traffic; but enjoying this 10 mile route along the Rea and canals: http://goo.gl/maps/CeBm which I'm now doing every other day or so.

I'm feeling the time is getting close to take things up a notch, though. Any recommendations for new routes to try?

Re: Next steps in/around Birmingham?
« Reply #1 on: 04 August, 2012, 11:26:17 am »
Have you looked at some of the Skyrides around Birmingham available from the SkyRide site?

A lot of the routes are geared toward keeping it safe.

Do you have access to transport as areas like Sutton Park and Sandwell Valley would appear a good venue.

plum

« Reply #2 on: 04 August, 2012, 11:41:22 am »
Immediately south of that loop are loads of nice quiet easy to ride roads. I ride, particularly shorter evening rides, around Whitlocks End, Kings Norton golf course, Earlswood. Relatively traffic free and leafy suburbia type scenery. From there when you want to upgrade again it's a nice easy push 5 miles south and you're into proper countryside heading out towards Redditch. Not too hilly round there so a good step up in terms of mileage without going mental. Then head West towards the Lickeys and Clent when you're really up for it.

Two clubs that I know of, Solihull and Beacon [Kings Norton] both have intro runs every so often to get newcomers onto the roads. OK so you're not a newcomer but you know what I mean.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2012, 11:51:43 am »
Hi nikki,
I'm not sure what sort of cycling you're after but,
As Veloman says, Sutton Park is a good fun option.  Take the bike on the Cross City Line to errm, Sutton.
However, if you do this at the w/e, you'd be well advised to travel early in the day as the trains do get busy later in the day.
You could ride to the city centre using the Rea Valley Route, or even better, use the Rea Valley or canal route to either Bournville or Selly Oak and take the train from there.  This has the advantage of you already smugly occupying the cycle space on the train as it arrives at New Street where all the other bikes and hundreds of baby buggies pile in.

Alternatively the are some lovely lanes to the south of Brum.  To get out of Brum you will have to climb.  This is unavoidable, but once you are up there are some lovely routes.
A suggestion for escaping the city could be Rea Valley/Canal to Primrose Hill.  (As you huff and puff up Primrose Hill just keep thinking how your climbing is improving and how much fun you're going to have when you come back down.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4 on: 04 August, 2012, 11:58:35 am »
Cycle Solihull do very gentle rides
http://www.cyclesolihull.org.uk/

And of course, I'm sure you're aware of Pushbikes.
http://www.pushbikes.org.uk/rides/index.shtml

« Reply #5 on: 04 August, 2012, 01:51:18 pm »
Lovely, thanks for all the suggestions!

I'll have a good poke around the links suggested (all new to me - ta), ponder a map of South A Bit, investigate Sutton Park (think I can rope a friend into that one...) and try and use the lure of the Coach & Horses to get me up Primrose Hill :)

Veloman: I have a car but no bike rack - will also have to practise hoiking bike into the boot on my own!
Basil: Thanks for train tips - sounds like an adventure in itself!

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #6 on: 04 August, 2012, 02:04:37 pm »
Cycle Solihull do very gentle rides
http://www.cyclesolihull.org.uk/

And of course, I'm sure you're aware of Pushbikes.
http://www.pushbikes.org.uk/rides/index.shtml

Just to point out that I'm not a member of either of these organisations, but I've always been made welcome when attending one of their rides.

(Just in case, like me, you don't "do" joining)  :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 04 August, 2012, 02:18:56 pm »
What Basil said, basically.  Escaping south Birmingham by bike means either traffic, canals or hills.  Barakta of this parish is at most a couple of notches above your level, and we've been doing battle with Primrose Hill (and a gentle slog home through endless Wythall) in search of decent cycling lanes.  It's hard work but probably the fastest way to get fitter.

« Reply #8 on: 04 August, 2012, 03:15:31 pm »
*does determined face*

(joining and battle-slogging)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 04 August, 2012, 03:27:48 pm »
It's actually quite frustrating.  We've been avoiding canals and trains because they're not much fun with a trike, and barakta isn't really fast enough to have much confidence with major roads and junctions.  So it ends up being the same strategic minimising-the-hills route every time, and by the time we've escaped the city and the steep bits, it's nearly time to turn round and head back again.   :-\

When I moved to Brum, I was similarly rubbish at hills, but having cycled in That London had a reasonable level of confidence with traffic, which made things a fair bit easier.

« Reply #10 on: 04 August, 2012, 04:01:16 pm »
We'll have to club together for a trailer or something and head out towards, er, well, just out.

I was in the New Forest before Brum, so still adjusting to the concept of traffic whatever mode of transport I'm using :)

Glad to hear the trike's out and about and being put through its paces!

« Reply #11 on: 04 August, 2012, 08:18:30 pm »
Riding with a group might help with road confidence. This ride starts at Northfield tomorrow morning...

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/club_runs/introductory/index.html

« Reply #12 on: 05 August, 2012, 12:15:22 am »
Thanks for the link, but I think I'm a way off 30 miles at 10mph yet!
Maybe next month... :)

plum

« Reply #13 on: 05 August, 2012, 09:47:21 am »
Thanks for the link, but I think I'm a way off 30 miles at 10mph yet!
Maybe next month... :)
I entirely sympathise and I'm not trying to persuade you otherwise, but just for the sake of conversation; that 30 mile D run is really two lots of 15 miles with an hour break in the middle. And 15 miles isn't much farther than you're already riding - especially since the miles just seem to evaporate when you're in a bunch and chatting as you go. AKA 30 miles isn't as much of a step up as you might think.

As for the speed - by default you'll go an awful lot quicker once you get off towpaths and the like and onto tarmac. Similarly to above, I don't think there's any real difference between 10mph on a towpath and 13 mph on a road, especially with  a group of people.

essexian

« Reply #14 on: 05 August, 2012, 10:42:50 am »
Hi Nikki

If you fancy a trip a little further out, there is a good flat route out of Stafford towards Newport Shropshire.

http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_2182835.html

The route, after a bit of a wiggle to start with, follows a disued railway line out towards Gnosall (pub and chip shop) and then on towards Newport. The off cycle path ends after 9 miles dumping you in the middle of nowhere (typical cycle path, although when Telford and Wrekin Council get the money together, they aim to finish the path into Newport...which would be nice. You can use the unmade path but at times, its a bit of a challenge). If you want to go all the way into Newport, it is possible using quiet roads but there are a couple of climbs, including one at 5%.

The path itself is generally of a good standard (apart from the first two miles which, to be honest, are a bit hard on the saddle area on any bike with less than 28mm tyres) and is normally free of dog walkers outside the first half mile from the car parks along the route.

« Reply #15 on: 05 August, 2012, 11:03:01 am »
Thanks essexian, looks good! I'll add it to the list of possible excursions...

plum: You want me to chat at the same time as well?!? :D
Good points; well made.

I added Primrose Hill onto my route this morning - there's a notch!
Fared better with the incline and the extra distance than I imagined. Possibly even made the rest of the route easier!

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #16 on: 05 August, 2012, 11:30:16 am »

I added Primrose Hill onto my route this morning - there's a notch!
Fared better with the incline and the extra distance than I imagined. Possibly even made the rest of the route easier!

:thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: 05 August, 2012, 12:32:11 pm »
As Plum suggests - the Beacon's guidance for intro rides is is you can ride 15 miles in approx 1.5 hours you'll be fine.

There are also other groups in the area that offer similar rides.  Push Bikes maybe, Hopwood Ladies possibly.

« Reply #18 on: 05 August, 2012, 12:57:18 pm »
Basil: Thanks! :)

GPS doodad from this morning reckons 16.8 miles in 1hr 45. I'm very chuffed with that!

saturn, plum: Soon, my dears, soon!

plum

« Reply #19 on: 05 August, 2012, 01:02:06 pm »
Like I said, I'm not trying to persuade you, just making conversation.

« Reply #20 on: 05 August, 2012, 01:06:02 pm »
Like I said, I'm not trying to persuade you, just making conversation.

I'm filing it under 'learning' and also 'encouragement'.

S'all good! Thanks!