Author Topic: Ride London 2013 100 mile challenge  (Read 14329 times)

Ride London 2013 100 mile challenge
« on: 10 August, 2012, 06:43:35 pm »
Off the back of GB's successes on the track and road, and the general increased interest in cycling, BoJo has announced a 100 mile challenge ride in august 2013 around London. He says it will be like the London Marathon, so does that mean there will be pros riding, along with full road closures? It sounds like fun if that's the case, but can't in any way imagine it will be a proper race with points on offer, as the possibilty of amateurs trying to mix it up with professionals (especially at the start) would be a recipe for disaster. Unless they stagger the start of course. Or maybe the idea is to rope in a few professionals to get bums on saddles.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Re: Ride London 2013 100 mile challenge
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2013, 02:55:37 pm »
In an effort to stop the tumbleweed rolling on this thread, has anybody heard if they've got a place yet? Loathe as I've become to do these MAMIL 'races', I needed a goal this year, a motivator (or a kick up the backside) as the mileage I'm doing each year is decreasing - so I entered. And the ballot begins today! Problem is I posted 5 1/2 hours as my proposed finish time, which is probably bang on the average, so I'm guessing my chance of being successful in getting a place is minimised.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2013, 02:56:24 pm »
You can tell by logging on to the website. Either you can 'pay now' or your registration is cancelled.

I'm in.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2013, 02:59:08 pm »
In an effort to stop the tumbleweed rolling on this thread,
The LELers are all talking about it!
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=67401.0

(assuming this is the same ride ...  :-\ )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2013, 03:15:09 pm »
Yep same ride.

Just logged in. Cancelled. Quelle effing surprise.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2013, 04:52:36 pm »
"Pay Now" for me, therefore no LEL on this occasion (budgetary constraints y'know)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2013, 05:02:52 pm »
No place for my weary legson this ride.

Ah well.

I really hope that my better half gets a place (especially as it actually passes through Chiswick, so I can walk down the road to cheer her on!)
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

red marley

« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2013, 05:04:53 pm »
No place for me either unfortunately. At least I don't have to hold anything back on the LEL...

« Reply #8 on: 07 February, 2013, 11:17:02 pm »
I'm in, although being 2 days after finishing LEL I may not be able to do it in the 4 hours, 0-9 mins I put on the entry form.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #9 on: 08 February, 2013, 06:52:14 am »
"Pay Now" for me, therefore no LEL on this occasion (budgetary constraints y'know)

No, no , no.  LEL will be a far better experience and is only every four years.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #10 on: 08 February, 2013, 07:21:01 am »
Cancelled   >:(

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #11 on: 08 February, 2013, 09:39:33 am »

« Reply #12 on: 08 February, 2013, 03:25:23 pm »
Just to rub it in, I've just been informed by post too. Nevermind. At least I now have a glossy magazine explaining how to prepare for it and Hilary Stone telling me how to mend a puncture.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #13 on: 08 February, 2013, 05:07:19 pm »
I've suggested elsewhere on this forum a YACF ride on the nice parts of the route (i.e. not crossing central London) on the weekend or even day before, if anyone's interested.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #14 on: 08 February, 2013, 05:34:13 pm »
Just to rub it in, I've just been informed by post too. Nevermind. At least I now have a glossy magazine explaining how to prepare for it and Hilary Stone telling me how to mend a puncture.

Same here. That has to be the most extravigant refusal letter ever!

red marley

« Reply #15 on: 08 February, 2013, 07:51:00 pm »
That has to be the most extravigant refusal letter ever!

Indeed. Also supplemented by a consolation jersey for not riding. And good to see that Joe Beer is still doing his stuff encouraging us to extract every last drop of enjoyment out of cycling.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #16 on: 08 February, 2013, 08:00:16 pm »
I've suggested elsewhere on this forum a YACF ride on the nice parts of the route (i.e. not crossing central London) on the weekend or even day before, if anyone's interested.

Can't do the weekend before - but possible post LEL leg turner (I'd join in Chiswick and would not be riding very quickly!).  I wouldn't want to commit until I roll over the finish line on LEL (which I'd like to be on Thursday morning if everything went to plan).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #17 on: 11 February, 2013, 12:52:14 pm »

No, no , no.  LEL will be a far better experience and is only every four years.

Agreed, but the biggest budgetary constraints are time..........(and LEL experience says that I be fit for bu99er all for a week afterwards)

« Reply #18 on: 11 February, 2013, 07:16:19 pm »
Here's a bit of a dilemna; Helen got in, I didn't.
We have to decide whether to visit London Village and I'll mess around (or go for a bike ride) while she does the "Challenge".
She's easily capable of doing the distance but it'll be a bit like Cav doing a stage without Bernie  ;D

« Reply #19 on: 11 February, 2013, 07:25:59 pm »
Cancelled   >:(

Me too  :'(

Me too  :'(
Perhaps they could have saved money - donated it to charity - by not sending out the glossy magazine to every refusee  ???

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #20 on: 27 July, 2013, 06:52:00 pm »
I've managed to cadge a place off someone who can't make it, so I'll be riding it  :thumbsup:

(I still have to pay the entry fee)

Not expecting a great time as I haven't done any training and until about four weeks ago wasn't commuting as far as I used to.  Have managed 130-150 miles a week for the last four weeks so I know I'll get round ok, just unsure how quickly.  I'll be happy with anything under seven hours quite frankly.

Closed roads events are fun though so I'm looking forward to it, despite having to ride 18 miles or so first thing in the morning to get to the start (have to be there for 6.30, so will need to set off no later than 5pm).

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #21 on: 02 August, 2013, 04:49:20 pm »
Plotting my route to the start of the Ride London thing for Sunday.  The roads closed for the event aren’t available to ride on – the marshals have been told to be out from 04:30 (the former Ms Weasel is doing so in central London from then).

So far I have a route that only touches on the official route in Richmond Park and as I’m going to be setting off around 04:30 when the park is closed to traffic anyway, hopefully I’ll be ok, if not I can ride up the A3.  After that I’m going to go via Hammersmith, through Hyde Park before I hit the closed roads again, then Oxford Street, through the City then all the way to Stratford on the A11 (probably over the Bow Flyover if I get there after 06:00).

The person whose place I has taken over had a start time at 07:38, so I’m setting off towards the back of the field (the first lot set off at 6am, the last at 8am).  Ages since I did a 100 of any sort so can’t really work out how long it’s going to take me – I average around the 15mph mark for my normal shorter but much hillier 50 mile loop around the Surrey Hills and think that 15-16mph overall for the day, as a moving average is probably a reasonable expectation.

« Reply #22 on: 02 August, 2013, 06:40:05 pm »
I will be cancelling my entry tonight due to my earlier broken collarbone and not being fit enough yet. Anyone want to ride?

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #23 on: 03 August, 2013, 06:14:49 pm »
Well here's a bit of a dilemna; Helen got in, I didn't.
We have to decide whether to visit London Village and I'll mess around (or go for a bike ride) while she does the "Challenge".
She's easily capable of doing the distance but it'll be a bit like Cav doing a stage without Bernie  ;D

I am around if you want a tour guide.

« Reply #24 on: 03 August, 2013, 10:01:46 pm »
I am around if you want a tour guide.

Many thanks for the offer Jane and I would have taken you up on it if I hadn't managed to get an entry courtesy of sojournemike.
But Sshhhh about that  ;)

Thanks also to Jurek and Wow for their separate offers to go on rides as well  :thumbsup:

At some stage, I'll make it to London/Essex for a ride with y'all.