Author Topic: SRAM PC1 replacement links  (Read 4677 times)

SRAM PC1 replacement links
« on: 22 August, 2012, 09:23:26 am »
I've got a PC1 chain on my On-One fixed, which I need to shorten. Can I re-use the snap-lock connector? I do have connector pliers, though I haven't tried them yet - or is flexing the chain easier (if I can find the connector...)

If I shouldn't re-use, where can I buy a spare? No-one seems to list them for the PC1.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: SRAM PC1 replacement links
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2012, 06:44:22 pm »
SRAM say you should use a new one.  I would get a reusable 3-piece link or just break and rejoin it using a chain tool.  SRAM say you shouldn't do that either, but all Brompton owners do.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2012, 09:37:10 pm »
Thanks.

I've been joining chains for decades, so I ignored the snap-lock connector when I first got this chain, and it failed after mile or so. I decided they were serious about the need to use it. Maybe I was a bit careless...

I've always been nervous of traditional three-part split links on fixed. Maybe that's over-cautious.

Can you actually buy spare connectors for the PC1, as you can for other SRAM chains?

« Reply #3 on: 23 August, 2012, 02:22:30 am »
I would have no problem reusing the snap link for a PC1. In fact, I'm sure I have in the past and I survived.

You can get 1/8th snap links from Edinburgh Bike Coop. They are probably not the only source.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 23 August, 2012, 06:37:16 am »
Halfords sell perfectly good Clarks-branded 1/8" snaplinks.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2012, 08:46:02 am »
Or if you have the time, eBay can net you a load, much cheaper than anywhere else (I recently bought a load, the 10 speed ones were £2 each from Hong Kong and the 3/32" ones were 50p each, but from the UK ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190711117728?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 ))
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #6 on: 23 August, 2012, 10:03:17 am »
I've got a PC1 chain on my On-One fixed, which I need to shorten. Can I re-use the snap-lock connector? I do have connector pliers, though I haven't tried them yet - or is flexing the chain easier (if I can find the connector...)

If I shouldn't re-use, where can I buy a spare? No-one seems to list them for the PC1.

I always join my chains too.  I bought a Chain Carcker from Hub Jub a while back - it's ace.  I so have a fair few of the PC-I snap-locks in my tool box which I could post to you if you like?  I changed chains to Wipperman a while back (after taking advice from a previous thread on this board).  You can also have the Connex snap-links that I have also saved if you want.

Send me a PM with your address if you're interested

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #7 on: 23 August, 2012, 10:29:41 am »
I generally use PC1s and join chains, partly because I've never got the hang of breaking chains via the snap link - or even finding the snap link when the chain is in-situ - and partly because I just dont really trust snap links. YMMV.

So I'd recommend simply shortening the chain and forgetting about replacing the snap-link.

« Reply #8 on: 23 August, 2012, 06:21:14 pm »
Many thanks to Jonah for his kind offer, and to others for the advice.

« Reply #9 on: 30 August, 2012, 12:12:58 am »
Pleased to say that Jonah's package of spare connectors arrived safely yesterday.

I have discovered that one LBS that I don't often visit (expensive!!) does a range of KMC connectors. These are mostly labelled as compatible with other brands of chain in the relevant size - 1/8", 6/7, 8/9, 10, 11.

SJS have a good range, but ordering such small parts would be a pain.