Author Topic: Revolution Track 12  (Read 2743 times)

Revolution Track 12
« on: 26 August, 2012, 01:56:54 pm »

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-track-12?bct=browse%2fbicycles%2froad-bikes

Just bought one these, my first fixed, hopefully I won't regret it. Quick try out today, a few iffy moments but not too bad. Managed one short steep climb. Early days, but might change to a bit easier gearing.

Any advice?

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Revolution Track 12
« Reply #1 on: 26 August, 2012, 01:58:49 pm »
Do you have a chain whip?

« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2012, 02:00:28 pm »
Don't stop pedalling!  :thumbsup:

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2012, 02:16:45 pm »
The standard gearing of 42x16 is fairly sensible, about 70".
Though if you are cycling somewhere particularly hilly, I would go a bit lower, maybe swap to a 17 or 18 tooth cog. Then learn to spin on the downhills. Or use the brakes if necessary.
You could remove the freewheel, then fit a cog on that side.

« Reply #4 on: 26 August, 2012, 02:18:50 pm »
Do you have a chain whip?

No, was just going to get my friendly LBS to do the swapping.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5 on: 26 August, 2012, 02:36:58 pm »

You could remove the freewheel, then fit a cog on that side.

Not necessary.The spec says it's a flip flop hub so a cog could be fitted on 'tother side to give the option of riding fixed or single speed at the same gear inch or otherwise.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 26 August, 2012, 02:50:39 pm »
Yes, but it currently has a 16t freewheel on one side, and a 16t fixed cog on the other. You are going to have to remove one of them.
And I think having two different fixed gears would be the best option. Why would you want a freewheel anyway... :evil:

If you did want a freewheel, I think a lower gear for that would be more useful.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7 on: 26 August, 2012, 02:59:13 pm »
Different strokes for different folks

In the past I've tried many differing combinations of fixed/freewheel on the hub,sometimes with the same gearing & sometimes with different gearing & still remain undecided what's best for me  :-\

This may be the primary reason why my Langster is the least used bike I have ::-)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 26 August, 2012, 09:05:01 pm »
I wouldn't go higher for hills unless they're really unclimbable on 70".   Downhills are more of a problem on a fixie, and you don't want to be undergeared for them, certainly not if you only have a front brake, the limitations of which become apparent after about 20 seconds of using it as a drag to limit your speed.  The burning Bakelite smell of overheated brake pads makes you worry about what's happening to the front tyre pressure, and how much it can stand before the bead pops off the rim.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.