Author Topic: Help with Miche Pistard WR wheelset please  (Read 7046 times)

Help with Miche Pistard WR wheelset please
« on: 17 October, 2012, 06:31:21 pm »
Gidday all, I know it has been some time since I've graced these boards, but I need help.
I bought some Miche Pistard WR wheels from Wiggle - as they seemed a very good price / deal.
Now I've got them (delivered today) I am now not sure whether they are designed for pure track work or can be used with rim brakes for road use.

Any ideas?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Help with Miche Pistard WR wheelset please
« Reply #1 on: 17 October, 2012, 06:43:48 pm »
non-finished braking surface with logos on it indicate that they were not designed for rim brakes, but of course you can still use brakes and see how they perform?

« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2012, 06:44:20 pm »
From the Wiggle Q&A tab:

I've got a fixed road bike with front and rear brakes. I'm a bit worried that these wheels don't have a machined craking surface. Has anyone used them on the road?

Answer from Wiggle:

These wheels do not have a braking surface so cant be used with rim brakes.

« Reply #3 on: 17 October, 2012, 07:00:50 pm »
From the Wiggle Q&A tab:

I've got a fixed road bike with front and rear brakes. I'm a bit worried that these wheels don't have a machined craking surface. Has anyone used them on the road?

Answer from Wiggle:

These wheels do not have a braking surface so cant be used with rim brakes.

Thanks JB, I thought I'd looked at all them.  Obviously not.  Back to the drawing board.  ::-)

« Reply #4 on: 17 October, 2012, 07:11:28 pm »
As long as the sidewalls are thick enough and have a vertical surface, like a U shape, then I don't see why you can't brakes use on them. To be 100% sure you'd to see the cross section of the rim, as there's a chance the bit of the sidewall you can't see is really thin, although that's unlikely.

Machines braking surfaces are relatively new, rims didn't used to have them.

Actual track only rims have almost no sidewalls.

« Reply #5 on: 29 October, 2012, 08:33:55 pm »
The correct answer, of course, is to buy a track frame and bits and report to Newport velodrome for a few laps!