Author Topic: Ebay & Paypal problem  (Read 1332 times)

Ebay & Paypal problem
« on: 19 November, 2012, 07:00:17 pm »
I won an Ebay auction over the weekend for a moderately high value item.  The seller has excellent feedback and appears legit. 

I paid for the item with Paypal, but the transaction hasn't cleared, it won't go through as his account shows as unregistered. Apparently this is because when he was setting up the auction he put an extra letter in the email address he uses for Paypal.    He says that Ebay have told him that they can't correct this as the auction is closed and have suggested he just send me an invoice for the amount.

Does this seem OK or is it bypassing Ebay and likely to cause issues  ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
Re: Ebay & Paypal problem
« Reply #1 on: 19 November, 2012, 07:12:31 pm »
Sounds odd. If he has high feedback scoring (as a seller?) he must have had a legit Paypal address. That shouldn't have needed changing for this listing. It's a possible hijack.

How about, since you have attempted to make payment and it's been rejected through no fault of yours, you get the Paypal charge back and get him to send the invoice with the item? You can then pay by BACS when you receive it (I trust your eBay score is good!)

As for if you'd be protected, best ask eBay/Paypal. Beware, their dispute process takes forever if anything goes wrong.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2012, 07:18:19 pm »
ask him for his correct paypal id.

Decide how to proceed based on thr response.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2012, 07:31:03 pm »
Paying to a different address will be bypassing part of the eBay system, and you won't have as much protection.  Be especially wary if the seller was inactive for a long while before this last transaction.  That makes it more likely to be a hijacked account.  Do not pay by Western Union!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2012, 07:36:41 pm »
Sounds odd. If he has high feedback scoring (as a seller?) he must have had a legit Paypal address. That shouldn't have needed changing for this listing. It's a possible hijack.

I'm suspicious too, but it could have been a genuine mistake.  There's an opportunity to manually enter a PayPal address when placing a new listing.  I don't know if the form is always pre-filled for everyone.  I've got a bit mixed up when using an alternative address for spam-prevention purposes.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2012, 07:57:58 pm »
I've just done a test listing:

It is possible to enter an invalid PayPal address.  eBay are stupid to allow that.

« Reply #6 on: 19 November, 2012, 08:27:23 pm »
He's sold a related high value item in the same field recently.  The address where I'm supposed to pick the item up is is pretty expensive, he's also emailed me from a business email address, the IP address the mail came from checks out and their website (and other companies sites) lists him as a director.

To make matters more awkward I appear to have exceeded  a Paypal limit and they want documentation before I can increase it!

« Reply #7 on: 19 November, 2012, 09:04:36 pm »
You'll still have the PayPal protection for what that's worth. I had a problem selling once and I can't remember the details, but I couldn't amend it through eBay (something like combined shipping I think) and just sent the buyer an invoice using PayPal, as eBay had recommended I do. I explained it to the buyer, and they were fine with it. However, it wasn't a high value item.

I also have accidentally used an old email address as the paypal address (the form was pre-filled with an ancient email address for some reason), I didn't check it, and so I had to re-add this email address to paypal before the payment would clear. If the seller accidentally hit a key in the wrong field it would screw up their email address, and leave them in the position you describe.

I would say it sounds fine, especially given the detective work you've done.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #8 on: 19 November, 2012, 10:34:37 pm »
He's sold a related high value item in the same field recently.  The address where I'm supposed to pick the item up is is pretty expensive, he's also emailed me from a business email address, the IP address the mail came from checks out and their website (and other companies sites) lists him as a director.

To make matters more awkward I appear to have exceeded  a Paypal limit and they want documentation before I can increase it!

You mean you are physically picking the item up or getting a courier to do it?

If the former, take cash with you on the day.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #9 on: 19 November, 2012, 11:18:21 pm »

take a smartphone and run the paypal transaction when you collect.

« Reply #10 on: 19 November, 2012, 11:43:29 pm »

take a smartphone and run the paypal transaction when you collect.

Now that's a good idea.  Cash comes with it's own set of problems....