Author Topic: Things I have learnt on a QNT  (Read 2523 times)

Things I have learnt on a QNT
« on: 10 December, 2012, 06:17:23 pm »
Having had a QNT for just over a month, I have learnt a few things.

Roads are not level, you can see every incline, however small
Its fun going down hill
Three small wheels with marathon pluses (for winter), with surface dressing/frozen skag etc, equal very slow progress
Cars give a lot of space (except the usual genital compensator)
Its hard to filter
Its fun going down hill ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Things I have learnt on a QNT
« Reply #1 on: 10 December, 2012, 07:01:09 pm »
That sounds like a fair assessment.

Well worth sticking some faster tyres on in summer, but don't expect miracles.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2 on: 11 December, 2012, 09:23:14 am »
Yep, swap the M+ for normal Marathonsand you'll add an extra 1mph to your average.

You'll also find you tend to stick to non-surface-dressed roads where possible.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 11 December, 2012, 12:42:34 pm »
You'll also find you tend to stick to non-surface-dressed roads where possible.

Not around here you don't.  It's a straight choice between top dressing; insane brummie motorists or top dressing *and* insane brummie motorists.  Oh, and cyclepaths I suppose, but they're a bit of an acquired taste on three wheels.

« Reply #4 on: 11 December, 2012, 05:50:44 pm »

The QNT is mainly for winter/hack work, I have a corsa 650 for summer.
I got the QNT as i dislike riding in icy/frosty conditions and falling off, hence this solution.
Summer tyres will be a whole lot more speed friendly ;D. I have found with both the M+s and big apples that there is some loss of traction in any damp areas when trying to accelerate, but nothing to worry about

« Reply #5 on: 12 December, 2012, 07:04:45 pm »

I have found with both the M+s and big apples that there is some loss of traction in any damp areas when trying to accelerate, but nothing to worry about

I've found that I can get significant wheel spin with both M+s and Big Apples though that may in part be due to it being a 26" rather than a 20".  Short of icy conditions, I've found that the Marathon Supreme is a reasonable compromise giving better grip but similar fairy protection.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 12 December, 2012, 07:24:10 pm »
To be fair, I think the trikes are to blame more than the tyres.  With low gears and a *very* lightly loaded back wheel, there's only so much you can reasonably expect of a tyre.  Which isn't to say that a knobbly, studded or soft grippy slick won't do better in the right conditions.

« Reply #7 on: 12 December, 2012, 07:31:56 pm »
To be fair, I think the trikes are to blame more than the tyres.

In general, I agree with you, though I think I'm carrying enough weight to load the back wheel more than many people.   ;D

That's why I prefer the Supreme which is definitely in the soft and sticky category and maintains that even in quite wet and muddy conditions.

« Reply #8 on: 12 December, 2012, 08:07:24 pm »
I've also found that very silly low gears help with wheel slip.
I had a lot less slippage on my new trike with a 10" bottom gear than I did on my old trike with 12.5" bottom gear.
I admit it slower uphill in first, 2 mph vs 2.5 mph, but that's in the range of speeds slippage tend to occur at.

Plus the new trikes 130" top gear beats the old trikes 100" top gear hand down.
Being able to peddle down hill close to 40 mph is FUN .........  ;D

« Reply #9 on: 24 December, 2012, 09:28:48 am »
To be fair, I think the trikes are to blame more than the tyres.  With low gears and a *very* lightly loaded back wheel, there's only so much you can reasonably expect of a tyre.  Which isn't to say that a knobbly, studded or soft grippy slick won't do better in the right conditions.

The Circe tandem suffers a similar problem with 20" marathons. It is often quite lightly loaded at the back, and even with a 4year old, a 2 year old and a bike seat, they are quite prone to slipping and very prone to tram-lining.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 24 December, 2012, 10:49:07 am »
I've also found that very silly low gears help with wheel slip.
I had a lot less slippage on my new trike with a 10" bottom gear than I did on my old trike with 12.5" bottom gear.

Presumably because it makes for more even pedalling and better control of torque, or something.

Almost but not quite entirely unlike the way silly low gears make it easier to balance a two-wheeler, by keeping your cadence above the wobble frequency.   :)

« Reply #11 on: 18 August, 2013, 06:57:26 am »
To update this a bit further,

The extra weight and rolling resistance (3xmarathon plus) has improved my fitness, so that the speed on my original recumbent has increased significantly  :)
Hitting a newly planed road at 20 is pleasant for about 5 secs before you wonder what bits are going to fall off (either you or the bike)  :facepalm:
That I might now be fit enough to do 100 k audax over winter on it