Author Topic: Flooded Roads Map  (Read 1521 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Flooded Roads Map
« on: 25 December, 2012, 11:51:49 am »
not sure where to start this thread, but - is there a map or a list of roads that are flooded (google search didn't return anything satisfactory)? i want to plan a ride and due to recent downpours some roads/lanes are under the water - is there a way to find out which ones to avoid? thanks!!

Re: Flooded Roads Map
« Reply #1 on: 25 December, 2012, 02:38:39 pm »
Environment agency has warnings overlaid on a map with roads - they call it "live flood warning map" (as opposed to the risk map). http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/142151.aspx
I'm not sure it is precise about road flooding though.

Travel news site ought to report closed roads, but probably omits minor lanes.

Hope you have a good ride!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 25 December, 2012, 03:17:34 pm »
I did a search for this sort of thing before my drive down yesterday (which I was somewhat concerned about). 
No real information below the level of M ways and Trunk Roads.

Reasonable really.  Who's going to be going round checking every little lane and updating a website?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #3 on: 25 December, 2012, 07:04:46 pm »
According to that map, orange waters are lapping the end of my garden. Went out to check this afternoon and found the valley to be very flooded but, fortunately, many vertical meters from me still.

« Reply #4 on: 25 December, 2012, 07:12:18 pm »
Round here roads can be flooded to impassable and then dry again within a couple of hours. It would probably take longer than that to log on a map.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 25 December, 2012, 07:18:03 pm »
Reasonable really.  Who's going to be going round checking every little lane and updating a website?

Quite.  This one needs ubiquitous wearable computing (or autonomous cars, whichever happens first) before it's viable.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 25 December, 2012, 08:17:59 pm »
According to that map, orange waters are lapping the end of my garden. Went out to check this afternoon and found the valley to be very flooded but, fortunately, many vertical meters from me still.

Orange is "be aware".

Red is "crikey, it's wet".

That map covers watercourses, but not surface water flooding, which is pretty transient stuff.  Most of the time you can ride through it though, if you take the crown...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #7 on: 26 December, 2012, 11:21:46 am »

Orange is "be aware".

Red is "crikey, it's wet".

That map covers watercourses, but not surface water flooding, which is pretty transient stuff.  Most of the time you can ride through it though, if you take the crown...

Quite Orange is flood alert: rivers are expected to break their banks, flooding is possible of fields and low lying roads. possibily low lying isolated buildings.

Red if Flood Warning or Severe Flood Warning which implies flooding of properties is forecast.

ie orange, keep an eye on flood and weather forecasts, put high value paperwork in upstairs rooms.

Red find your sandbags, consider lifting furniture off the floor etc. pack your grab bags.

severe flood warning means too late, flooding that will pose a risk to life is expected time to leave.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 26 December, 2012, 11:34:10 am »
The Swindon Advertiser, for all its faults, is pretty good with stuff like road closures (including flooding) and opening hours of local amenities such as chemists and petrol stations.  Maybe your local rag's website does similar?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.