Author Topic: £700 to spend on a new bike  (Read 1509 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
£700 to spend on a new bike
« on: 13 January, 2013, 07:44:49 pm »
A friend of mine is going to start commuting 11mile each way into Croydon. He plans to do a LEJOG by the end of summer with his mates. He's 5'9 and unfit.

Budget is £700 for the bike (new or 2nd hand) and £300 for other bits like lights, lock etc.

Any recommendations before he just goes to Halfords?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Re: £700 to spend on a new bike
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2013, 07:51:32 pm »
Yeah, I recommend he buy some cheap second hand banger to trial commuting with, to see if he likes it.
Come the summer he'll be fitter, clearer about what he wants from a bike, richer to the tune of 6 months cost free commuting, thus better placed to buy himself a decent steed for LeJog that will also serve him better on his commute.

« Reply #2 on: 15 January, 2013, 09:51:34 am »
I agree that he may not need to spend that much to start off with, but would caution against getting anything too cheap & heavy that will make hard work of his commute and put him off – 11 miles is a lot to begin with, I remember finding my first commute (7 miles each way) a huge challenge when I was a very unfit Totalnewbie.

A ‘fast’ hybrid perhaps, like the Specialized Sirrus? Then he can trade that in for something more suited to Lejog once he’s got used to riding and decided exactly what it is he wants.

« Reply #3 on: 15 January, 2013, 09:58:51 am »
A spesh or a ridgeback, from an independent shop that will look after him after sales. Better to spend a little more for the bike and be able to discuss what you need and have a person you know to discuss any problems with.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #4 on: 15 January, 2013, 10:30:29 am »
It looks as if the Ridgeback Voyage is available well within budget (2012 model, anyway). 

Clicky for prices

Now my bike of choice, good VFM, complete with very effective frog-leg brake levers for braking on the flats. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 15 January, 2013, 10:57:08 am »
The Voyage is a great package.
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 16 January, 2013, 10:12:07 am »
Totally new to cycling, unfit, and he wants to do a LEJOG?
I do really wish him good luck, but perhaps good luck won't be enough!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

fuzzy

« Reply #9 on: 22 January, 2013, 02:43:07 pm »
There are lots of bikes out there that will fit the bill and something like a hybrid will fit the bill for commuting and LEJOG.

A cycling club of my parish was born from a 60th birthday bash invitation sent to many. The bash was at a resteraunt on the Champs Elysee and the method of arrival was a bike ride to Paris. A lot of the participants were non riders and used hybrids to train and travel and in fact, stick to their hybrids for their weekend club rides.

I know I am out of the way for you but the shop I help out at does Trek and Ridgeback.

« Reply #10 on: 22 January, 2013, 05:21:51 pm »
I got myself one of these a couple of months ago and its been a superb bike for around town, to and from work etc. £270 now, although I changed the tyres for M+ and a different headlamp. Bargain.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=89804