Author Topic: Battling the bottle.  (Read 63264 times)

Re: Battling the bottle.
« Reply #225 on: 26 December, 2008, 10:11:10 am »
That's OK.

I know ALL there is to know about lapses in taste caused by too much port (or indeed just about any booze you care to name)!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

you can't live you life by numbers

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #227 on: 27 December, 2008, 04:57:24 pm »
Right that's it. I'm not going to eat anything, drink anything, go anywhere or do anything. It's all too dangerous.

On a serious note, this thread is tremendously useful as a reminder, and a drip feed of pressure to keep me on the almost straight and narrow. All the best to those of you who are finding this time of year difficult, I admire your self control tremendously.

« Reply #228 on: 30 December, 2008, 11:35:40 am »
Jezza glad to read your uplifting story of how to beat the booze.
I agree though you have to say away from the demon .

I worked for a major brewery for twenty years .
Alcohol was always freely available,at lunch,after work invites to pubs .In those days I was careful to keep drink uder control as many work mates needed drink to start the day let alone get to the end without a drink.
No I am not joking and as it was free,cost did not figure.
We also had as well as accesss to free booze in the canteen,4 pints allowance per day and a staff purchase allowance of £100 per month (a tray of carling 24 cans was £8) so lots of access.We also bought kegs and had parties at home so temptation everywhere.
I did not indulge too badly however these days drink creeps up on you.
A stressful day?It  is so easy to open a bottle of wine and finish it after a bad day.

I now have reverted to no drink monday to saturday and limiting saturday to a bottle of wine and one double spirit. Not good I know but  better than I was.Weight has come down and I feel better.
Alcohol ,if it was brought in now woud be a dangerous drug!!
It does need handling with care in these stressful times whereits so easy to put a couple of bottles in your trolley when you shop.
Good luck with your demons everyone.

« Reply #229 on: 31 December, 2008, 10:16:05 pm »
Wishing good luck everyone for Old Year's Night, if you're battling the bottle.

« Reply #230 on: 31 December, 2008, 10:21:31 pm »
What peliroja said - it ain't an easy evening for us retired (temporarily or otherwise) drunks, BUT it does mark either "end of the first year or Xmas sober" or "another year and Xmas sober" so a "good thing" also.

Happy 2009 to all.

dave j

Jezza

« Reply #231 on: 31 December, 2008, 11:05:34 pm »
Well, it's another notch on the calender in many ways - it was the year 2000 when I gave up, which is a nice round year to be starting from. I always find New Year much harder than Christmas, for some reason. I was talking to my sister earlier on about how we'd always end up at a party somewhere when we were younger. Nowadays I'm afraid the highlight of my evening is downloading a podcast of some trance music, smoking too many roll ups and having a nice cup of tea.

Good luck to everyone for the New Year.       

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #232 on: 31 December, 2008, 11:08:55 pm »
Happy New Year Jezza. I suspect you have helped a lot of people on here in 2008, thank you.

« Reply #233 on: 31 December, 2008, 11:23:06 pm »
Not sure what to say here, it's difficult to pin down why I find Christmas itself a bit tricky. Not so much on the alcohol front specifically, more that it makes me reminisce about times past.

Anyway, 2 1/2 years now.

Happy New Year to all  :)

Jezza

« Reply #234 on: 01 January, 2009, 12:20:02 am »
Two years ago I got a call to say my mate Tom had died. I had to take a few seconds to think 'Tom who?' because I hadn't seen him for a while. We'd been drinking buddies in the past, and used to swap travel stories - like me he spent quite a bit of time in South-east Asia and loved it over there. He found it hard coming back to the UK. He had OCD when younger, which had really strung him out, but we all treated it as a bit of a laugh, and would tell him we were leaving at 8.45 to give him time to turn on and off the lights, check the doorhandle, wash his hands a few times, ready to meet us by 9. Anyway, he got a job in a pub which was awesome, because he could spend the whole day polishing the brasses. He used to lighten up when he'd had a drink, and just relaxed a bit with the routines. He had a hell of a sense of humour: ultra dry. And you really had to be there, but the impression of a Viet zookeeper he'd once met ('you want wild enemas?') would leave us crying with laughter.

Anyway, there's bugger all work round this way out of season, so he moved to a nearby city - the same one I'd moved to years earlier. I didn't see him much after I got sober - our paths didn't cross in the pub any more. One day I was shopping in town with my bro-in-law and bumped into him. We went for a drink down by the river and I stuck to coffee. He was full of plans - new job lined up, starting a college course, new girlfriend. I know now that all this was a lie. But that was the last time I saw him.

He got caught drink driving, and was due to appear in court. He missed the court appearance (he was drunk) and was arrested. Got a fine he couldn't pay. He got another court appearance and someone noticed his intoxicated appearance. There may have been a couple of other charges. He got sent to prison for a month. He got sober in prison, started a course, got himself together. He was released on December 31st. He walked straight back into his local pub.

The call came from my sister. Tom had been best man at her wedding. He'd been found dead on the floor of his flat. They reckon he'd been there three weeks. He'd lost contact with just about everyone - all his mates. He kept open a line of communication with his sister, but the last conversation they'd had had been a row. Everyone was sick of him lying, borrowing money and never paying it back, using people. His last act was to call an off licence and order some takeout booze. Some time in the night he got up from the couch, fell over, hit his head and died. He was 30 years old.

I went to the funeral. The entire town here went - there wasn't room for everyone in the church. I gave my condolences to his family. His sister cut me dead. It could have so easily been me instead, you could see her thinking. And I can't blame her for wishing that it had been.

Anyway, last year I was on a beach in Vietnam. There was a small shrine there, and a woman selling incense. I went over and bought some sticks, lit them and placed them in the holder. And there, in front of the South China Sea, so different to this sea here in England which we used to sit in front of, I offered up my best attempt at a prayer for the memory of my friend Tom.

The world is round. You have gone but are only out of sight. I will see you again.             

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #235 on: 01 January, 2009, 03:13:04 am »
 :'(

« Reply #236 on: 01 January, 2009, 07:07:20 pm »
Well last night was a pleasant surprise for me.  Went to the party and everybody was joking about the last two years, when they'd carried me home.

When buying drinks to take I'd said I would only take the 4 cans as I was bored of "drinking".  I was told to take more as 4 wouldn't enough.

Soooo, at 8pm I turned up at the party with my 8 cans of tanglefoot.

At 03:00 this morning I walked back carrying the unopened 4 cans, wife, and sister-in-law.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #237 on: 01 January, 2009, 08:20:25 pm »
Well last night was a pleasant surprise for me.  Went to the party and everybody was joking about the last two years, when they'd carried me home.

When buying drinks to take I'd said I would only take the 4 cans as I was bored of "drinking".  I was told to take more as 4 wouldn't enough.

Soooo, at 8pm I turned up at the party with my 8 cans of tanglefoot.

At 03:00 this morning I walked back carrying the unopened 4 cans, wife, and sister-in-law.

Blimey! That's impressive!  :o
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #238 on: 01 January, 2009, 08:22:46 pm »
Two years ago I got a call to say my mate Tom had died...

Very moving, thought provoking post Jezza. 

« Reply #239 on: 01 January, 2009, 08:23:38 pm »

Blimey! That's impressive!  :o

even more so considering it was downhill on black ice...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #240 on: 01 January, 2009, 08:52:52 pm »
Christmas presents from family included:
Bottle Opener
Corkscrew
An Engraved Pint Pot
Another Bottle Opener.

Having read this thread, I'm wondering if they're trying to tell me something.  So I'm going to give 'the wagon' a trial for a month.

Wish me luck.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Chris S

« Reply #241 on: 01 January, 2009, 08:54:38 pm »
Wish me luck.

Good Luck. Next drink for me - Easter at the earliest. Wish me luck.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #242 on: 01 January, 2009, 09:32:16 pm »
Good Luck to all who are on the wagon.
My thoughts are with you.

border-rider

« Reply #243 on: 01 January, 2009, 09:37:59 pm »
I'm on too

I did 2-3 months in the autumn and it went well.  I came off in November because I wanted too, but now I shall try to stay dry until Easter

« Reply #244 on: 01 January, 2009, 10:01:21 pm »
Good luck all.

« Reply #245 on: 01 January, 2009, 10:02:57 pm »
Like last year, just January for me. Hardly even on the wagon really, and nothing in comparison with what others are dealing with, but it's a break and enough time to see things from the other side.

Booze is not the problem with me, it's the mind that does the damage.

Do I believe in addictive personalities? I do. Whether it's genetic or whether one is driven to it by stress, I've never quite sure, but I do know in myself that I have 'free-floating' addictive traits. They don't always have to find expression in 'bad' things like smoking [quit 9 yrs ago] and booze. It can be other things like building bikes and pouring over forums on the internet. It's the same compulsion - something done to excess that can get out of hand. The key is understanding to what's going on, so you can try and reign it in to restore a bit of balance. Doesn't happen very often though!

Thank god I've never grown up in an environment where hard drugs have been around.

Poignantly told story Jezza.
Garry Broad

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #246 on: 01 January, 2009, 10:05:56 pm »
I'm struggling. I don't intend to give up but I really need to cut down. I am suffering from horrible mouth ulcers at the moment and a few glasses of wine give me some relief for a while but I know that it is just another excuse really. I'm not giving up on cutting down and this thread is a useful part of the process.

Good luck once again to you all, whatever you are trying to achieve.

simonp

« Reply #247 on: 02 January, 2009, 02:01:14 am »
I was never addicted, so I don't find the occasional drink causes me to lose control.  For me it was drinking with mates for the most part.  I don't have any mates now.  ;D

« Reply #248 on: 02 January, 2009, 08:35:34 am »
I'm your mate  :thumbsup:

Rob

« Reply #249 on: 04 January, 2009, 05:28:56 pm »
For a variety of reasons I went on the wagon for 50 days in the run up to Christmas.   For the first time in years I felt fantastic.   I was sleeping well, keen to get out on the bike, more relaxed and above everything I had much more time for those around me.   I decided to have a few drinks over Christmas.   Plenty of festivities and one spectacular binge later I decided that I didn't really want to feel like that any more.

So I'm back off it again.   Lots to get on with this year....

If anyone is trying to reduce the pangs there is a herbal treatment called Kudzu, which you can get in Holland & Barrett.   I tried it with and without drinks and found that it made wine and beer taste a bit strange and also found that I was drinking a lot more slowly than those around me.