Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 959987 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1725 on: 19 September, 2011, 11:38:04 pm »
Getting the TTSS lovefest back on track. Very good, easily amongst the best I've seen this year. A major disappointment was that it was way too short.

Still, +10 for this TTSS.

Frere

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1726 on: 20 September, 2011, 01:09:55 pm »
Started watching Children Of Men on telly last night, but it was past my bedtime so I didn't stick it out until the end. But I've seen it before and loved it. It's a great film. The car scene with the internal tracking shot is one of the truly great cinematic moments of recent years. Probably the best thing Michael Caine has done for a long time as well.

Very keen to see TTSS. I loved the book but it's years since I read it so I can't remember anything that happens in it. So no spoilers please!

d.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1727 on: 20 September, 2011, 04:43:26 pm »
The car scene with the internal tracking shot is one of the truly great cinematic moments of recent years. Probably the best thing Michael Caine has done for a long time
People forget how great Caine's tracking could be.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1728 on: 20 September, 2011, 08:30:09 pm »
Anyone else see American Pie the other night on ITV3? Now *thats* a funny fillum. :D

« Reply #1729 on: 20 September, 2011, 08:40:57 pm »
My son has been reviewing Cambridge film festival stuff. Personally I would prefer he had a job.......... :demon:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1730 on: 20 September, 2011, 08:44:19 pm »
The live-action Space Battleship Yamato.

Exactly as cheesy as you'd expect.  Surprisingly good visuals (the Wave Motion Gun is a nerd's delight) and a couple of nice performances in among the capering, though for me the one frame of originality was at the end credits.  The rest?  Cookbook space silliness that's drunk deep of nuBSG as well as its anime heritage.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

spindrift

« Reply #1731 on: 21 September, 2011, 08:14:20 pm »
Just back from TTSS. Oldman's performance was mightily infected by Guinness, especially the voice, I think Oldman himself acknowledged the fact on 5 Live today. Big shoes to step into. I saw the beeb original with mum when I was a schoolboy, 7 hour-long episodes I think, they had to condense a hell of a lot.

Cumberbatch brilliant , Toby Jones outstanding and the oddest shaped head in film, Mark Strong a little understated, much more was made of his relationship with the schoolboy in the book, it's the first chapter, and the person I was with said "Could someone with no past just turn up and be accepted as a teacher?" I said "he would have a cast-iron background made up by the circus", but most of all, the period detail. Budapest, Paris and London impeccably dressed as the seventies, the decade of tobacco-coloured interior decor, even the Wimpy bar was faithful, even the Trebor Chuffing Mints wrapper was faithful (in the most intense mint-eating scene in cinema history). Colin Firth, normally a charisma vacuum, was also brilliant. Anyone spot Le Carre himself in the office party scene?

Best film of the year.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #1732 on: 22 September, 2011, 05:44:31 pm »
I've only just started watching this; not sure if I'll watch much more......

Round Ireland with a Fridge (Tony Hawks).  Free to watch online for a limited time:

http://www.roundirelandwithafridge.com/
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

SteveS

• What's over the next hill?
« Reply #1733 on: 22 September, 2011, 10:49:37 pm »
Saw Submarine last week, great independant film from Wales. Lots of pathos and a real sense of teenagers beginning to understand the adult world. All sorts of funny from wry to laugh out loud.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #1734 on: 23 September, 2011, 10:23:02 am »
Rosemarys Baby. Some horror film from the late 60's I think ?. Im not one for horror movies though this was excellant. I think the directer was Roman Polanksi ?

« Reply #1735 on: 23 September, 2011, 09:55:57 pm »
Drive.

It is good, not in same league as TTSS, but an interesting watch. Kinda an european car movie within the land of the (un)free. Starts out on a feminine tone then very brutal and ends with redemption of sorts. The love/violence within the lift scene was a classic, awesome film making, will be studied by students for years to come. Recommended, but it is not for everyone. You might want to check out the Pusher trilogy, Valhalla rising and Bronson to sample the director's repertoire.

Frere

« Reply #1736 on: 23 September, 2011, 09:58:47 pm »
Half of kingdom of heaven t'other night. Due to early start had to go to bed but enjoyed what I saw.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1737 on: 24 September, 2011, 10:10:59 am »
Last night, on iPlayer, North West Frontier, a fave film of my youth. Upper lips were stiff!
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Billy Weir

« Reply #1738 on: 25 September, 2011, 02:21:57 pm »
What with Star Wars being released on Blu-Ray, I was at a Star Wars party.  So, strictly speaking the last film I watched was the original "nub nub" song from Return of the Jedi.  But before that 3 minute ditty, tragically replaced by Lucas in recent versions and so played from an old VHS, was 15 hours of back-to-back sci-fi hocum (all told, but we had breaks between).  Original trilogy followed by the prequels.  And yes, I reenacted Obi Wan vs DV on the death star with my equally geeky friend as it was being played (he being the campest looking DV you can imagine - black trouser tucked into emroidered cowboy boots and frilly black shirt - and me in jedi bathrobe; both with official lightsabres  :facepalm: )

PS: Empire remains the best.  Followed by New Hope.  Bit of debate around the room about whether RotJ trumped RotS.  Equal bottom was Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1739 on: 25 September, 2011, 06:44:21 pm »
Frere:
What are your views on the american sitcom "Big Bang Theory", with specific reference to the believability of the male characters?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1740 on: 25 September, 2011, 09:11:14 pm »
Heat

Great performances from Al Pacino & Robert De Niro.
Great soundtrack too.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1741 on: 25 September, 2011, 09:15:48 pm »
Watched 'Wolverine' this evening. It was rather silly nonsense  :D

« Reply #1742 on: 25 September, 2011, 10:09:49 pm »
Frere:
What are your views on the american sitcom "Big Bang Theory", with specific reference to the believability of the male characters?

Cant help/answer, sorry. Have never seen this :(

Frere

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1743 on: 25 September, 2011, 10:12:34 pm »
What with Star Wars being released on Blu-Ray, I was at a Star Wars party.  So, strictly speaking the last film I watched was the original "nub nub" song from Return of the Jedi.  But before that 3 minute ditty, tragically replaced by Lucas in recent versions and so played from an old VHS, was 15 hours of back-to-back sci-fi hocum (all told, but we had breaks between).  Original trilogy followed by the prequels.  And yes, I reenacted Obi Wan vs DV on the death star with my equally geeky friend as it was being played (he being the campest looking DV you can imagine - black trouser tucked into emroidered cowboy boots and frilly black shirt - and me in jedi bathrobe; both with official lightsabres  :facepalm: )

PS: Empire remains the best.  Followed by New Hope.  Bit of debate around the room about whether RotJ trumped RotS.  Equal bottom was Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.

I don't understand.  There was one Star Wars film.  It was called 'Star Wars', but had a ridiculous bit tagged on the end.  Otherwise complete.
Getting there...

Billy Weir

« Reply #1744 on: 25 September, 2011, 10:46:39 pm »
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

fuzzy

« Reply #1745 on: 26 September, 2011, 09:50:56 am »
Natural Born Killers

WTF ???

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1746 on: 29 September, 2011, 09:23:33 am »
TTSS.

It's a shame that great films get lost in this garden fence chatter thread.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1747 on: 29 September, 2011, 01:47:31 pm »
Star Wars
[...]
sci-fi

Up to a point, Lord Copper.  Star Wars and its offspring are transplanted Westerns.  The Alien franchise isn't sci-fi either.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1748 on: 29 September, 2011, 05:38:21 pm »
Star Wars and Empire Strikes back supposedly owe more to samurai flicks than Westerns, Kurasawa's Hidden Fortress is always the example given. The gay droids in Star Wars are based on the peasants in the film, and that's where the stuff about Princesses and rebellions come from.

« Reply #1749 on: 29 September, 2011, 05:57:41 pm »
Beautiful Kate  - strange Aussieness

Followed by La Reine Margot.

Just as good as I remembered it.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams