Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 959931 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2075 on: 08 January, 2012, 08:11:42 pm »
Ice Cold In Alex, and now I know where John Williams got the "Star Wars" theme from.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2076 on: 09 January, 2012, 01:27:57 pm »
Ice Cold in Alex is great. Couldn't have been made 10 years earlier, I suppose. Rather too fraternistic. The bar scene with the Carlsberg is superb, though I would fire the barman - not the way to pour gassy lager!

Since the clan returned from their Magyar sojourn, they have been enthralled by the Shrek trilogy. I've watched bits of it and it seems very good. Pity they got a septic to do the Shrek voice though.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

spindrift

« Reply #2077 on: 09 January, 2012, 01:30:07 pm »
Mike Myers is Canadian I think.

« Reply #2078 on: 09 January, 2012, 01:36:48 pm »
Ooops! He's not a Jock, thobut...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2079 on: 09 January, 2012, 01:51:24 pm »
Ooops! He's not a Jock, thobut...

But he has Scottish family....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2080 on: 10 January, 2012, 06:49:27 pm »
Well it was going to be 2001..... on a decent size screen....but they'd sold out   >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2081 on: 10 January, 2012, 10:35:25 pm »
Baise moi.  Meh.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2082 on: 11 January, 2012, 12:05:08 am »
Saw 'The Artist'. Lovely film, go see it in the cinema, it won't be the same on telly.

LEE

« Reply #2083 on: 11 January, 2012, 01:23:09 pm »
51st State

Samuel L Jackson & Robert Carlyle in a "Cool American comes to Liverpool gangland/Brookside" scenario.

I hated it.

I don't mind graphically violent films, I don't mind comedy films and I don't mind kitchen-sink dramas but I hate films that try to mix all three and add a mix of terrible accents.

Summed up by Robert Carlyle getting shot (by his assassin ex-girlfriend, as you do) up the arse-cheek with a Sniper Rifle (from 100 yards) and then seen shagging her in the bath the next day (bloody underpants on show).

I'm no balistic expert but I imagine that a rifle bullet  in the arse cheek would smart somewhat for a few days. 

Just a pile of cack.

1/10

The one redeeming feature of the film is that it introduced me to this song from the soundtrack, so I'm really glad I watched it (because I think it's one of the greatest Blues/Soul songs I ever heard).
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vMH0dy7W1-8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/vMH0dy7W1-8&rel=1</a>

Now you can listen to the song without watching the cack film.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2084 on: 11 January, 2012, 01:33:47 pm »
A Life Less Ordinary.  Got a bit of a panning when it was released but I rather like it.  Especially the bit near the beginning featuring Cameron Diaz with a black one-piece swimsuit and a gun.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2085 on: 11 January, 2012, 01:48:03 pm »
I'm rather fond of that as well. Ewan Mc in his best type of role; ineffectual loser.

The angels losing it and going postal is funny.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LindaG

« Reply #2086 on: 11 January, 2012, 11:33:20 pm »
The Well Digger's Daughter (La Fille du puisatier) tonight, with my friend MrsTrainer1,which is a good thing because this was a lovely, romantic film, set in Provence between the wars, which Crusty would've hated due to the lack of asteroid action and space ships.

We both want to buy floaty dresses and straw hats now.

And this.  Film.  Looks.  Gorgeous.  Shots of fields  of grass, waving in the wind, the southern light, oh it was lovely.  A nice, gentle, uplifting film, just perfect for a grey day.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2087 on: 13 January, 2012, 08:21:57 am »
[Digs out copies of Pagnol films]

I watched 'Attack the Block' last night, and while it was well-made, with occasional amusement, I found it hard to enjoy fully as there was only one sympathetic character in the whole thing. And she was the nurse.

Almost everybody else in the film was an arsehole.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

LindaG

« Reply #2088 on: 13 January, 2012, 08:49:53 am »

I watched 'Attack the Block' last night, and while it was well-made, with occasional amusement, I found it hard to enjoy fully as there was only one sympathetic character in the whole thing. And she was the nurse.

What, really? 

(click to show/hide)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2089 on: 13 January, 2012, 01:22:22 pm »
I don't want to reveal any spoilers but yes, really.
(click to show/hide)
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2090 on: 13 January, 2012, 01:30:37 pm »
I'm rather fond of that as well. Ewan Mc in his best type of role; ineffectual loser.
Hoorah! A very underrated film, Life Less Ordinary.

there's a scene early on where Ewan's character is embarassed/upstaged in a bar by [CD's character] - I think she pulls a gun and robs someone, whatever, it doesnt' matter - and as they walk away Ewan starts whinging and whining. Absolutely hilarious. Both actors sticking to their strengths  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2091 on: 13 January, 2012, 01:32:44 pm »

That’s not what I came away with, at least not by the end of the film.  Certainly in the opening scenes the children (which is what they are, even the eldest of them, which is a point made later in the film) are clearly shown in the worst possible light.  I thought that they were realistically unsympathetic and I would much rather have that than the usual awful stage show kids we used to get patronised with by UK filmmakers. 

While they started off unlikeable the film shows that they aren’t all irredeemable and I thought that as the plot unfolded the film was actually quite moralistic, in the way that good low budget SciFi/Horror often does very well.  The kids have made bad moral choices and via the alien revenge start paying the consequences for them – people who continue to make bad moral choices in the film suffer even worse.

Great pace, nicely inventive, a cracking little film I thought.  Nice to see Nick Frost in a good supporting role too.

I do think though that back when I was having to deal more with children and young adults like that in an adversarial way on an almost daily basis that I probably could not have been able to switch that off easily enough to believe the plot of the film.  Ten years ago I might not have even gone to see the film.

« Reply #2092 on: 13 January, 2012, 02:26:20 pm »
The Road to Perdition.

Very impressive cinematography often surreal, decent performances from Hanks, Jude and Tyler Hoechlin et al.  Daniel Craig was suitably evil and psycopathic as the main villain.  "Because it's all so f*cking hilarious".   Best performance probably Paul Newman as the fading gangster boss.
Move Faster and Bake Things

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2093 on: 13 January, 2012, 09:42:45 pm »
Apollo 18

Glad I borrowed the movie from parents rather than bought it as it's pretty bad!  Think "Blair Witch Project" in space with added helpings of Conspiracy Theories.   :sick:

tiermat

« Reply #2094 on: 15 January, 2012, 11:55:32 am »
The Darkest Hour.

It is SHIT! Avoid at all costs, unless paper-thin plot lines and crap acting are your thing.

I only went to watch it because the girls went to watch "Chipwrecked" and the mere sight of Alvin and his Chipmunks makes me want to puke, and I didn't fancy sitting in a draughty reception area of the cinema eating over priced food and drinking overpriced pop for 1 1/2 hours.

Hope fully War Horse, which myself and Mrs T intend to go and see next week will make up for the wasted time.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2095 on: 15 January, 2012, 12:01:18 pm »
The Dambusters was on ITV4 yesterday so I watched it because no matter how many times I've seen it, I still love it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

AndyK

« Reply #2096 on: 15 January, 2012, 12:18:43 pm »

Hope fully War Horse, which myself and Mrs T intend to go and see next week will make up for the wasted time.

Hoping this too. I loved the book.

tiermat

« Reply #2097 on: 15 January, 2012, 12:20:01 pm »
Forgot to say my evening wasn't improved by me coming home and watching "Fan Boys".

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #2098 on: 15 January, 2012, 07:23:21 pm »
I'm looking forward to watching 'The Reader' tonight. I read. The book some time ago, but shied away from watching the Film when it was released at the cinema for some reason I now can't remember, so I'm planning on watching it for the first time tonight. 

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2099 on: 15 January, 2012, 07:26:58 pm »
I'm looking forward to watching 'The Reader' tonight. I read. The book some time ago, but shied away from watching the Film when it was released at the cinema for some reason I now can't remember, so I'm planning on watching it for the first time tonight.

The book was extremely good.

We watched True Grit last night. Oh. My. God. It was bloody brilliant, and the young woman who played the main part was spectacular, as was Jeff Bridges.