Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 959898 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2250 on: 16 March, 2012, 01:36:23 pm »
I've half-watched a few movies out here in India. It's been remarkably hard to find a Western movie without Jason fucking Statham in it. I did watch him in the appalling Death Race.

Likewise, I couldn't watch to the finish of Twilight, or Cop Out. I fell asleep in the middle of Godzilla, which I do like (it's a bit long, mainly cos it tries to be a monster movie and a New York movie, and though it does both pretty well, it could have had half an hour taken out of it).

One movie I really enjoyed (even though it was very badly dubbed) was The Legend of the Fist: Return of Chen Zhen. A movie about a Chinese fighting superhero battling the perfidious Japanese in pre-WW2 Shanghai. It looked fabulous. Shanghai and the fight scenes were beautifully shot. It had an entertaining villain, a story of doomed love, and bridges. Great stuff.

Is that the one where, in a particular fight scene, if you can successfully take on half a dozen jap soldiers and defeat them, you can have a big bag of rice? Hope it was that one 'cos it woz brilliant.

Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #2251 on: 16 March, 2012, 01:49:33 pm »
I came in late so I might have missed that scene. He did fight a lot of Japs, though. The only time he lost was when someone wandered out of a car and bopped him on the head with a blackjack. He didn't even try to fight back!

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2253 on: 16 March, 2012, 08:42:33 pm »
Just watched Predators:not for the first,or second,time.But this had some gory bits in it not seen before.Perhaps a Directors Cut or somesuch.

Jakob

« Reply #2254 on: 17 March, 2012, 08:26:37 am »
There's a prequel and sequel to Ip Man and despite the heavy propaganda, they're both worth watching!.
Legend of the Fist was good too. In fact, I'll make the claim that Donnie Yen is the best martial arts actor out there at the moment. (Jet Lee is too old and doesn't have the gracefulness that allowed Jackie Chan to continue for as long as he did).

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2255 on: 18 March, 2012, 09:09:16 am »
Just finished watching Extremely Loud and Incredably Close and Extremely SAD

I luvd it.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LindaG

« Reply #2256 on: 18 March, 2012, 09:09:47 am »
Just finished watching Extremely Loud and Incredably Close and Extremely SAD

I luvd it.

It is good, isn't it.

Do you need rehydrating?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2257 on: 18 March, 2012, 09:25:46 am »
Yes!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2258 on: 18 March, 2012, 10:03:07 am »
Cross Of Iron.  Didn't like it much;the acting is good enough but the plot seems to wander all over the place.  I don't think Sam Peckinpah was out to entertain, rather to make an anti-war point.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2259 on: 18 March, 2012, 04:16:42 pm »
The Last Castle - which has more depth than I gave it credit for last time, but I'm not sure if the director meant the dark undertones it has about the lead character.

I watched it first time a few years ago and it was a reasonably fanciful jingoistic army/prison movie, but re-watching it I have a bit more empathy for the villain and less for the lead character.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2260 on: 18 March, 2012, 04:30:37 pm »
The Castle. Do you mean this?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2261 on: 18 March, 2012, 04:49:02 pm »
Ah sorry, trusting my memory is always bad  :-[

It's called The Last Castle - now changed upthread
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2262 on: 18 March, 2012, 05:55:51 pm »
On Golden Pond and Four Lions.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

red marley

« Reply #2263 on: 18 March, 2012, 09:01:20 pm »

Now there's a double bill you don't often see down the local picture palace.

LindaG

« Reply #2264 on: 18 March, 2012, 09:09:47 pm »

Now there's a double bill you don't often see down the local picture palace.

Indeed.  A unique juxtaposition of styles.

We just watched Airplane, which was much better than I remembered.  I larfed.  Thanks crusty  ;D

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2265 on: 19 March, 2012, 01:01:00 am »
The Warrior 2011.

I quite liked it :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Chris S

« Reply #2266 on: 19 March, 2012, 07:53:22 pm »
3 Idiots.

My first venture into Bollywood. Awesome!

Zoobi Doobi!

fuzzy

« Reply #2267 on: 20 March, 2012, 10:42:21 am »
Lethal Weapon 3 (Tosh, but quality tosh).

Bad Boys. (Tosh, but far better quality tosh).

Both get a  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2268 on: 20 March, 2012, 03:45:57 pm »
Just yesterday we watched Radio Days from our Woody Allen collection. It's such a nice film. You can just lounge on your favorite armchair, have some red wine and enjoy the experience. It's not exactly linear, but their is a plot in there somewhere. The story is mainly kept together by the radio theme.

This is definitely one of Woody Allen's more enjoyable movies.  :thumbsup:

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2269 on: 21 March, 2012, 12:26:03 am »
The Taking of Pelham 123

Great film :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #2270 on: 25 March, 2012, 11:09:31 pm »
The Hunger Games

My kids are fans of the books, so of course I've read them too. Good books, excellent for teenagers. I enjoyed them, but didn't think they were 'wow'.

I suspected that the film would be rubbish. The books are fairly gritty - set in a dystopian future, they don't pull any punches. There is everything that happens in under real oppression, from starvation, mutilation as punishment, mass executions, and people selling themselves for food. Not just trading sex for food with guards, but selling 'tickets' in the annual lottery, where teenagers are picked out to fight to death for the entertainment and oppression of the masses. This is something that isn't explained in the film; every teen gets their name once in the 'hat'. But they can 'buy' credits by putting their name down more than once.

Anyway, I thought that would be not translated to the big screen. I was wrong. Sure, there is a lot left out. But it rates as one of the best adaptions of a book to the screen I've ever seen.

Best to read the books first, tho', or you won't have a clue what is going on.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2271 on: 26 March, 2012, 08:00:02 am »
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #2272 on: 26 March, 2012, 09:16:45 am »
More Bollywood.

Om Shanti Om.

Not enough dancing, but Pain of Disco will live with me for a while.

A Bollywood habit requires commitment. These films are all well over 2 & a half hours. Blimey.
Next up: some historical romance. O yes.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2273 on: 26 March, 2012, 02:22:11 pm »
Local  Hero :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2274 on: 28 March, 2012, 10:03:03 am »
The Hunger Games

My kids are fans of the books, so of course I've read them too. Good books, excellent for teenagers. I enjoyed them, but didn't think they were 'wow'.

I suspected that the film would be rubbish. The books are fairly gritty - set in a dystopian future, they don't pull any punches. There is everything that happens in under real oppression, from starvation, mutilation as punishment, mass executions, and people selling themselves for food. Not just trading sex for food with guards, but selling 'tickets' in the annual lottery, where teenagers are picked out to fight to death for the entertainment and oppression of the masses. This is something that isn't explained in the film; every teen gets their name once in the 'hat'. But they can 'buy' credits by putting their name down more than once.

Anyway, I thought that would be not translated to the big screen. I was wrong. Sure, there is a lot left out. But it rates as one of the best adaptions of a book to the screen I've ever seen.

Best to read the books first, tho', or you won't have a clue what is going on.

I saw it yesterday and loved it and I haven’t read the books, so I would say that you can definitely see and enjoy the film without having read them.  I knew virtually nothing about the story before I saw the film (hadn’t seen any trailers and ignored all reviews beforehand).  I do think I got most of what was going on – I thought here and there that there might be stuff I was missing out on but not too much.  Obviously there could be loads I didn’t get but the film did not give the impression of being a poor adaptation.

I did get the ‘credits’ for extra food means extra tickets thing, so it is definitely explained (over time) in the film – there isn’t one scene where they say “This is how the Hunger Games work and these are all the mechanics laid bare” but through various scenes and dialogue the explanation is there.  All the better for being told that way (in a film at least).

I really enjoyed it, would recommend it highly.