Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 964249 times)

Hillbilly

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2500 on: 08 July, 2012, 06:51:11 pm »
Aliens (special edition).

Great film, which I'd not seen for many years and so had forgotten a lot of the detail.  The Alien films get acclaim for their sets and design.  What struck me is how it creates great tension from its soundscape, such as the handheld sensors - pip....pip..pip.pip.pip.pippippip

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2501 on: 08 July, 2012, 08:50:27 pm »
Rango.

A corker.  :)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2502 on: 08 July, 2012, 11:08:51 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aY85IzWexWo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/aY85IzWexWo&rel=1</a>

Not strictly a film.  The broadcast of the National Theater's production of Frankenstein, with Benedict Cumberbatch as the monster and Jonny Lee Miller as Frankenstein.

Very good indeed.  They are showing the alternate version next week, with the lead roles reversed.

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/69499/productions/frankenstein-encore-screenings.html
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

fuzzy

« Reply #2503 on: 09 July, 2012, 11:19:18 am »
Detective dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame Acient China, whodunnit and Martial Arts. Whats not to like eh?

« Reply #2504 on: 09 July, 2012, 11:35:16 am »
I got sucked into Children of Men again last night.  It's the second time I've watched it and the second time I've got sucked in when I wasn't planning on watching it.  I find it interesting/poignant/sad/touching all in one go and I now want to read the book!

« Reply #2505 on: 09 July, 2012, 05:19:01 pm »
I got sucked into Children of Men again last night.  It's the second time I've watched it and the second time I've got sucked in when I wasn't planning on watching it.  I find it interesting/poignant/sad/touching all in one go and I now want to read the book!
<standard response> The book's better </standard response.>
I've never seen the film. If you'd like to borrow the book, PM me & I'll post it to you- I still can't read so you're welcome for as long as you like.

« Reply #2506 on: 09 July, 2012, 05:29:23 pm »
Puss in Boots, kids club at the cinema.

I never get chance to watch real films lol.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2507 on: 13 July, 2012, 01:10:57 pm »
The Ides of March

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124035/

It should have been a fantastic film, it was so well acted with a delicious lack of CGI, a very well crafted dialogue and a moody tense atmosphere. Clooney played his role to perfection with Ryan Gosling taking the lead role, and there were some other brilliant big-name actors. The feel of the film was very much like a cross between early West Wing and Watergate.

What was the thing that made it 'should have been fantastic'? That would be the utter crap leading lady, played by Evan Rachel Wood. She acted her part very well indeed, but sadly her part, her contribution to this tense political thriller was... to shag her boss (Clooney), then his chief adviser (Gosling), fall pregnant, get an abortion, freak out and commit suicide.

Wow. That's just great, *slow clap* that really lived up to the guff in the promo about her being a feisty, strong woman who can hold her own in the male dominated campaign office.

If they had not written her part in it would qualify as a brilliant film, similarly, if they had made her character normal instead of Hollywood normal it would have been a brilliant film.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2508 on: 13 July, 2012, 04:47:43 pm »
Yeah, Ms Weasel and I saw it in the cinema and were similarly unimpresssed. The other characters although well acted didn't generate a lot of interest or feeling either

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2509 on: 13 July, 2012, 09:15:12 pm »
MIB, with TLD, next up (maybe tomorrow) is MIB II so that we can then go to the cinema to see, you've guessed it, MIB III
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LindaG

« Reply #2510 on: 14 July, 2012, 09:27:01 pm »
Revolutionary Road.  With Leo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet - fine film actors, both of them.

Now, Linda and Crusty have their own scale to rate marital arguments.  As experts in the genre, via much experiential learning by experience, we rate a domestic on a scale of 1-10.

1 is 'You farted on my leg again'.  10 is 'crockery flying through the air because you committed adultery.  With my sister's dog'.

Kate and Leo got an 8 in this film, which as marital arguments go, is a real doozy.  You can't beat a good old verbal lashing when it's someone else's marriage, and you're watching.  These two give good conflict.

Aside from that I thought this film was rather beautiful.  In the final analysis, I think it was about marriage and family, and what marriage is for.  Well directed, well acted, touching.  I really liked it. 

It's not Armageddon thobut.

« Reply #2511 on: 14 July, 2012, 11:59:27 pm »
Spiderman. Stepson wanted to see it and wouldn't go on his own. So I had to go with him. My, how crap was that
<i>Marmite slave</i>

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2512 on: 16 July, 2012, 04:32:33 pm »
Limitless

An interesting film. 

« Reply #2513 on: 16 July, 2012, 10:18:53 pm »
Spiderman. Stepson wanted to see it and wouldn't go on his own. So I had to go with him. My, how crap was that

Thanks
I got a text earlier from No1Daughter who I haven't seen for about a month. She wants to go on Wednesday. I'll suggest something else  :-\

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2514 on: 18 July, 2012, 09:22:07 pm »
We Need To Talk About Kevin

Brilliant film but extremely harrowing - Children Of Men is a light romcom by comparison.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #2515 on: 18 July, 2012, 09:28:04 pm »
I'm watching 'The Girl with a Pearl Earring'. Phwoar Colin Firth!

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2516 on: 20 July, 2012, 06:18:10 pm »
Descent

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437152/

Lt Commander Worf in a rip off of The Core.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2517 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:46:35 pm »
True Grit

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2518 on: 21 July, 2012, 05:45:52 pm »
Iron Sky.

A good film with a few giggles...

I've got American Pie: The Reunion to watch tonight.  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2519 on: 21 July, 2012, 10:11:45 pm »
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. 

Gentle stuff, but quite well done.

LindaG

« Reply #2520 on: 23 July, 2012, 12:08:34 pm »
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. 

Gentle stuff, but quite well done.

We went to see it last night.  It was okay, but spoiled by having Keira Knightley in it.  Why would you do that to your own film?

« Reply #2521 on: 23 July, 2012, 09:54:32 pm »
Moon.

Hillbilly

« Reply #2522 on: 23 July, 2012, 10:14:19 pm »
Batman: DKR. Colour me disappointed.

Chris S

« Reply #2523 on: 24 July, 2012, 09:42:52 pm »
The King's Speech.

I'd forgotten quite how scarily brilliant the acting is in this.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #2524 on: 25 July, 2012, 04:55:57 pm »
I watched John Carter on the telly last night.  Apparently it cost a ton - and its the worst thing I have seen for a very long time indeed. Its so bad its not even good.  Total and utter dross.
I am sure there is a reason why it got made, but I wonder when the people involved realised they had made a turkey? It must have been completely obvious by the time it was complete that this was drivel of the worst sort. Or maybe that sort of thing only emerges at the first edit screening.

Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird