Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 964534 times)

Chris S

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2525 on: 26 July, 2012, 07:40:30 pm »
(Currently watching) Batman Begins.

(click to show/hide)

fuzzy

« Reply #2526 on: 27 July, 2012, 08:39:59 am »
(Currently watching) Batman Begins.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Hillbilly

« Reply #2527 on: 29 July, 2012, 07:05:08 pm »
Quattro Volte.

All in all, a reflective film that is strangely engaging.  Reminded me a bit of Koyaanesqatsi in tone.

AndyK

« Reply #2528 on: 30 July, 2012, 07:26:30 am »
Defiance. The true story of Polish Jewish partisan fighters, the Bielski brothers, during WW2. Very enjoyable.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2529 on: 30 July, 2012, 04:05:16 pm »
Defiance. The true story of Polish Jewish partisan fighters, the Bielski brothers, during WW2. Very enjoyable.

Saw it and liked it when it came out.  Same director as Glory (which I liked too) although I wonder if he was equally free in its adaptation of history with Defiance as he was with Glory.  I think he also directed The Last Samurai (But ICBATG).

LindaG

« Reply #2530 on: 03 August, 2012, 11:15:27 pm »
Field of Dreams.  Damn it's good.

Cried like a baby at the end.

The music is good, sparing and effective.  Not something Hollywood would make now I don't suppose, a real forgotten treasure for me.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2531 on: 04 August, 2012, 12:28:45 am »
Ninja Assassin.
Lots of blood, not a great story but perfect as a chill out film.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2532 on: 04 August, 2012, 08:51:46 pm »
Stranded.

Quite a good low budget science fiction film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283015/

plum

« Reply #2533 on: 04 August, 2012, 09:03:02 pm »
I've just got hold of all of the Star Wars movies. I've only ever seen the original and the The Empire Strikes back. What order should I watch them in?

Or should I just bin them and go back to my stockpile of when-there's-nothing-else-on Kung Fu movies?

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2534 on: 05 August, 2012, 01:36:12 am »
Watch the first 3, ignore the rest lol
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #2535 on: 05 August, 2012, 02:08:39 am »
Watch the first 3, ignore the rest lol

Just to clarify, you mean the original trilogy, right?  ;)

Episodes I-III - triumphs of CGI over plot, characterisation and dialogue...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #2536 on: 05 August, 2012, 03:27:41 am »
I've just got hold of all of the Star Wars movies. I've only ever seen the original and the The Empire Strikes back. What order should I watch them in?

iirc Wascally W was a fan of Machete Order: IV, V, II, III, VI
(and never watch I)

I've not seen episodes I - III, but now I have netflix maybe I'll give this a go.....

plum

« Reply #2537 on: 06 August, 2012, 09:08:41 am »
I watched New Hope first in the end. Turns out to be more dated than I expected, fx on a par with Star Trek NG, diabolical acting and cheesier plot than I remembered. But seen in HD for the first time I thought it was still a decent yarn and worth watching.

Hillbilly

« Reply #2538 on: 06 August, 2012, 10:39:45 pm »
Iron Sky.

Was der fick?!?

« Reply #2539 on: 10 August, 2012, 12:18:27 am »
Dark Knight Rises. Totally loved it!

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2540 on: 11 August, 2012, 11:57:40 am »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1412386/

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

For our traditional-occasional FNCFN* yesterday, we watched the above film. Previous FNCFNs have seen me veto the film on the grounds that I was convinced that it would be shite. How wrong I was.

The calibre of the actors was incredible, really incredible. The scenery and imagery of the film was beautiful and I am glad that we chose to watch the HD version. The plot is highly predictable, however that in no way diminished my enjoyment - it was clear from the start that everything would work out ok in the end, though there is one blindside in there.

In terms of comedy, it really delivered. Not big laughs, but constant smiles and hearty chuckles throughout, which left both of us still smiling beyond the closing credits. The humour was, for the most part, predictable but executed in such a way that you couldn't resist being drawn in by it.

I highly recommend this film, which really does justice to the genre of 'feel good film'.

* Friday Night Curry and Film Night
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #2541 on: 11 August, 2012, 05:08:43 pm »
I just watched John Carter (well inbetween falling asleep with a post-FNRttC power-snooze!), and quite enjoyed it.

It's a long time since I read the books (they should be around somewhere), and it looks like various odd and sods have been changed, but I think the film version worked reasonably well, and was quite fun.

I did like Woola, the "Nice monster dog". ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jakob

« Reply #2542 on: 12 August, 2012, 08:36:14 am »
Just finished watching "JCVD". Who knew he could actually act!. Great movie. It also finishes with this neat little cover of Bowie's "Modern Love"
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uASwIGYBK1c&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/uASwIGYBK1c&rel=1</a>

« Reply #2543 on: 12 August, 2012, 06:55:06 pm »
Ted  :facepalm:

I didn't know much about the movie before I went - I just did a quick skim of the reviews and picked something that looked as if it worth seeing. Granted, there are some laughs, some clever gags, but for me it was ruined by the reliance on the rather rude stuff spouted by the bear. I just found it cringe-worthy. Yeah, I know there is meant to be a clever sub-text, as the reviews seem mention frequently, but it's just rubbish. Aside from a few genuinely funny moments, the best bit is the quality of the CGI.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2544 on: 12 August, 2012, 08:20:55 pm »
Just finished watching "JCVD".
For a moment I thought JCVD was a highly blasphemous historical epic about how Jesus caught the clap from Mary Magdalene.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LEE

« Reply #2545 on: 14 August, 2012, 02:00:13 pm »
Spartacus.

I'm not sure I ever watched it all the way through before.  A proper old-skool epic, no CGI just lots of extras and some dodgy painted backdrops.

I loved the now-included "Oysters and Snails" bath scene (the bit where they got Anthony Hopkins to dub Olivier's voice) as Olivier gives Tony Curtis the come-on.

"He's Spartacus!"

« Reply #2546 on: 14 August, 2012, 03:07:32 pm »
Three Colours Blue is on the box one night this week...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2547 on: 15 August, 2012, 01:50:56 am »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1412386/

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

For our traditional-occasional FNCFN* yesterday, we watched the above film. Previous FNCFNs have seen me veto the film on the grounds that I was convinced that it would be shite. How wrong I was.

The calibre of the actors was incredible, really incredible. The scenery and imagery of the film was beautiful and I am glad that we chose to watch the HD version. The plot is highly predictable, however that in no way diminished my enjoyment - it was clear from the start that everything would work out ok in the end, though there is one blindside in there.

In terms of comedy, it really delivered. Not big laughs, but constant smiles and hearty chuckles throughout, which left both of us still smiling beyond the closing credits. The humour was, for the most part, predictable but executed in such a way that you couldn't resist being drawn in by it.

I highly recommend this film, which really does justice to the genre of 'feel good film'.

* Friday Night Curry and Film Night

Did the same and thought the same :)

Just watched the Hunger Games earlier. It was alright as something to watch in the background in the office. Quite enjoyable.

Support Equilibrium

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2548 on: 15 August, 2012, 09:16:28 pm »
KHAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2549 on: 18 August, 2012, 07:45:53 am »
Plan 9 from Outer Space

;D