Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 959959 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3300 on: 18 May, 2013, 08:58:57 pm »
All these

Favourites were: 'Strangers'  - a simple point made tear-jerkingly well; 'I won't Do That Again' for the hilarious intersection of evil clones, martial arts and year 9 quality woodwork; and 'Retreat' because I'm a sucker for the understated post-apocalyptic.

'300 SECS' deserves honourable mention as a true story set in Swindon.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3301 on: 19 May, 2013, 06:05:08 pm »
The Outlaw Josey Wales.  Clint does what Clint does best i.e. keep schtum and shoot people, but it's Chief Dan George who steals the film and runs cackling with it over the try-line a Several of times.

Clint + horse = :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3302 on: 19 May, 2013, 06:44:42 pm »
The Outlaw Josey Wales.  Clint does what Clint does best i.e. keep schtum and shoot people, but it's Chief Dan George who steals the film and runs cackling with it over the try-line a Several of times.

Clint + horse = :thumbsup:

"I could have missed"   ;D

A great film - however, google the author, Forest Carter's name if you want to read some serious WTF!

« Reply #3303 on: 19 May, 2013, 10:19:28 pm »
We watched The Master last night, we were expecting to watch it in two sittings due to the length printed on the Lovefilm cover but we were engrossed and the timing was incorrect.

Forgot to mention we gave up on Holy Motors the other week, but did try.

Edit: Enjoyed Moonrise Kingdom too, thanks for the suggestion. Was pleased to have a good reason for blurting that it reminded me of Fantastic Mr Fox without knowing why.

« Reply #3304 on: 19 May, 2013, 10:41:47 pm »
The Flying Leathernecks on TV on Saturday.

This is one WWII action film I have never seen before. Its got John Wayne and some real aerial footage rather than models so whats not to like ?
Its about a US Marine squadron and follows events at Guadalcanal. The story is at first sight a typical gung ho WWII story (it was made in 1951) with John Wayne as the tough commanding officer and Robert Ryan as the more compassionate XO. It's actually a story about leadership and how a commanding officer has to maintain some distance from his men and make difficult decisions and it's quite good at that.
The flying scenes are very good though there are some obvious anachronisms if you are a WWII plane buff. The Wildcats in the first half of the movie are obviously Hellcats form later in the war (due to there being few Wildcats left by 1951) and the Zero's being Hellcats painted in Japanese colours. The Corsairs in the second half of the film are genuine though. The aerial footage is a mixture of shot for the film, original WWII footage and some footage from the Korean War a fair bit of which I have never seen before.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3305 on: 20 May, 2013, 12:14:24 am »
Day 3

Notable were:

Shadow Stalker: Brilliantly executed zero-budget genre horror.
Diary of a Cat: Did exactly what it said on the tin.
Tache Off: I don't really get visual vernacular (or poetry generally), but the effect was striking.
I Sign, I Live: Some fascinating perspectives.  I'll forgive the hideous headache-inducing deinterlacing artefacts.
Iron Man 3: Marvel.  Fighting robots.  Witty quips.  Possible homage to a blue hearing aid?

fuzzy

« Reply #3306 on: 20 May, 2013, 09:22:16 am »
This weekends DVD viewing was-

Contact. Carl Sagan is probably right.

Replacement Killers. Not seen this before. Was expecting plent of Cow Yun Fat kick ass. Got plenty of Chow Yun Fat shoot ass.

The Bourne Identity. Thought I would revisit the trilogy.

Enjoyed them all.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3307 on: 20 May, 2013, 10:21:02 am »
Air Force One.

Haven't seen this for at least a decade, just as ridiculous as I remember but still not as shit as Olympus Has Fallen.

Andrew

« Reply #3308 on: 20 May, 2013, 10:34:49 am »
'La Piscine' - a French uber-cool classic full of cigarettes, blank expressions, stripped bare dialogue,  and 60s style. Much is unspoken, leaving you to figure the depths of the pool. Arguably, it hasn't aged well. By today standards, it's somewhat insipid and slow. You're left feeling 'yeah, and'?

« Reply #3309 on: 20 May, 2013, 01:39:25 pm »
Margin Call Lots of excellent and likeable actors playing detestable investment bankers, and doing so rather well, apart from Paul Bettany bizzarrely switching between American and British several times a scene. At the end it just sort of stops and you're left thinking "and?" - but I guess you're expected to put it into the historical context of the last few years.

Stitches Irish comedy with Ross Noble as a dead clown resurrected to seek revenge on the kids who accidentally killed him. Includes copious amounts of stage blood and some of the worst ever puns, but quite funny in parts. Don't watch if you don't like the idea of watching a teacher rip off a boy's genitals and tie them to a helium balloon in front of the class.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3310 on: 20 May, 2013, 04:43:52 pm »
Sightseers.  Can recommend it to the non-squeamish (whether about blood or 100% pure British embarrassment and awkwardness).
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #3311 on: 20 May, 2013, 05:14:58 pm »
The Bedford Incident. Outstanding Cold War anti-war/nukes pressure cooker staring Rchard Widmark and Sidney Poitier.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3312 on: 20 May, 2013, 05:33:20 pm »
The Bedford Incident. Outstanding Cold War anti-war/nukes pressure cooker staring Rchard Widmark and Sidney Poitier.

Great film - a reworking of Moby Dick too of course.

Jakob

« Reply #3313 on: 21 May, 2013, 03:13:27 am »
Jack Reacher  -- on the plane to London and quite enjoyed it.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3314 on: 21 May, 2013, 12:46:31 pm »
Lore

It was very good and I found myself fixed to it unable to look away or do anything else, which is a shame as I put it on in the background.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #3315 on: 26 May, 2013, 02:16:37 pm »
"Le gamin au vélo" - The kid with a bike

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1827512/

LindaG

« Reply #3316 on: 26 May, 2013, 04:19:54 pm »
Still watching it, actually. Volcano. The incomparable Tommy Lee Jones wryly laughs a lot of fiery lava into submission by pointing his wrinkles at it. I do love a good disaster movie. The best bit is the melting railway boss.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3317 on: 27 May, 2013, 02:31:38 am »
The Man Who Fell To Earth.

I think I last saw it (probably not the whole thing) when I had a fever some time in the early 90s.

It made a bit more sense this time, but was still beautiful, surreal and tragic in equal measures.  David Bowie and Jim Lovell playing themselves, and 70s cinema pacey goodness.  What's not to like, really?  It's almost as good as Volcano.

« Reply #3318 on: 27 May, 2013, 07:55:19 am »
The Great Gatsby.  It's had plenty of scathing criticism but seemed an acceptable interpretation of the book IMO.  Very much in the Di Caprio style, if that floats your boat (so to speak).  Lots of CGI.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #3319 on: 27 May, 2013, 09:15:54 am »
The Great Gatsby.  It's had plenty of scathing criticism but seemed an acceptable interpretation of the book IMO.  Very much in the Di Caprio style, if that floats your boat (so to speak).  Lots of CGI.
I went to see it with No1Daughter last week. Acceptable pretty much sums it up. Di Caprio was largely di Caprio, and equally Maguire was very much Maguire.
I liked the Luhrmann musical interludes but was irritated by shots seemingly only there to bring out the 3D. We watched in 2D as I really can't see the point of 3D in anything other than action movies, and even then it's only ever going to be a gimmick for me.
I did think that even fewer kids with it on a set book list will actually read it now.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3320 on: 31 May, 2013, 02:55:18 am »
Rio Bravo.

Might watch the repeat El Dorado later today  ;D

(If you're not a fan of Westerns, or haven't seen Get Shorty (where Chilli Palmer explains the follwoing point) El Dorado is basically a remake of Rio Bravo with different actors playing the main characters; except John Wayne "Who plays John Wayne in both movies")

fuzzy

« Reply #3321 on: 31 May, 2013, 08:50:44 am »
Bad Boys

'Store Clerk: Hey, freeze bitch!

Mike Lowrey: YOU freeze, bitch!

Store Clerk: Oh shit, I'm fucked.

Mike Lowrey: Now back up, put the gun down, and get me a pack of Tropical Fruit Bubblicious.

Marcus Burnett: And some Skittles.'

;D

« Reply #3322 on: 31 May, 2013, 09:28:14 am »
"I'm not scared"

Saw this on TV when I was away last week. Beautiful filmed Italian movie set in the hottest summer of the 70s about a group of kids in a poor farming area and a boy kidnapped by a gang that one of their fathers is part of and kept in a hole in the ground for ransom.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

LEE

« Reply #3323 on: 31 May, 2013, 12:24:13 pm »
Django Unchained

It's ..err...fun I suppose.

30 minutes too long but very tongue in cheek (in a Sam Peckinpah way) and Christopher Walz steals the show again.

Basically it's 2 good guys shooting lots of bad guys whilst everyone says N****r all the time.  Trust me, that is the storyline.

6/10.  Mostly fun, lots of ketchup and a good soundtrack.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3324 on: 31 May, 2013, 12:50:08 pm »
Woody Allen's To Rome With Love

Some amusing moments but a loooooong way from his best. Several distinct storylines, all set in Rome, all broadly on the theme of discovering that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Imagine a whimsical version of Short Cuts set in Rome. Actually, it's more disjointed than Short Cuts since the stories don't really overlap. I could think of worse ways to pass a couple of hours but it's really not great.

Ronin.  Sean Bean starting his 'Not making it to the end of the film' career meme, De Niro employing two of his three facial expressions, Jean Reno and great car chases.

"Raspberry jam, yeah? Raspberry jam?"

I think I've seen that film far more times than I really need to.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."