Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 964138 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3350 on: 26 June, 2013, 11:56:24 am »
Warm Bodies, with No1Daughter, No2Daughter & No2Daughter's mate.

Shite. My disbelief was not suspended one jot. John Malkovic is clearly whoring himself for any crap these days. £30 wasted, and my evening.

Saw this, yes it was fairly crap but No3Son and No1Daughter enjoyed it. Would not have been happy spending cash on it!

Shock non-tragedy ending, given the main characters were "R" and "Julie"  ::-)
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3351 on: 26 June, 2013, 01:47:45 pm »
"Sharpe's _____"  Yes, all 14 over the last week (yewtube).

I saw part of one (ep11?) a number of years ago, but that's all.  Haven't read any of the books, either.

Not sure how historically accurate they are, but if casualties were anything close to accurate I'm surprised there were enough men left to fight after a year or so.

As for critique, certain things are really noticeable when you watch them in close succession.  Like the episodes where Sharpe doesn't have a woman throwing herself at him or he doesn't get injured. 

Overall, entertaining.  Don't think I'll be looking to pick up the boxed set, but if I come across it again on the telly I'll probably watch.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3352 on: 28 June, 2013, 02:57:45 pm »
I just watched Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters, which was apparently criticised by mainstream critics, however to quote Wikipedia, the horror genre critics termed it "unpretentiously entertaining", which seems like a reasonable description.

It's certainly not a deep and meaningful film, basically just a silly, fairly violent medieval action film.

I enjoyed it, it's note very often you have a beloved character from a fairy tale say "fucking" and using similar terms. ;D

Whilst Wikipedia says that a "sequel is currently in development", from the end of the film, it's pretty clear that one was always intended, it very much finishes along the lines of "... next week in Hansel and Gretel", and a good bit of the film is explaining the background to the characters.  If not a film, you could probably base a TV series on this, although that would likely get boring very rapidly.  A few well funded films should be able to continue the concept without getting too repetitive.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3353 on: 29 June, 2013, 07:43:03 am »
Amateur

An excellent film with a very unpromising précis.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3354 on: 02 July, 2013, 03:38:19 pm »
Alien
It should have been in lovely bluray 1080p goodness, except my Samsung Bluray player found the disc difficult to read, causing the film to stop in several places..   :demon: 

Hillbilly

« Reply #3355 on: 03 July, 2013, 05:51:38 pm »
Killer Joe

Not bad, but the twist wasn't particularly unexpected and the performances so-so.  Lacked the menace of, say, "Wild at Heart".  If that had been present it would have been more what I had anticipated.  Good general sense of trailer trashiness though, and tight direction.  Also the last couple of minutes were worth the build up.

« Reply #3356 on: 09 July, 2013, 02:21:57 pm »
Hot tub time machine

Had its moments. Quite good at poking fun at the 80s.

Somewhere

I really liked this one. Sophia Coppola's meditation on ennui and parenthood. Glacially paced, nothing much happens and there are no jokes but it's beautifully filmed.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #3357 on: 10 July, 2013, 11:53:31 pm »
Kind Hearts and Coronets - as wonderful as ever.

« Reply #3358 on: 11 July, 2013, 12:33:17 pm »
Sightseers

Watched this on the basis of a recommendation on here, and it is really quite excellent.

Down Terrace (also by Ben Wheatley) has arrived for this weekend's viewing.

Andrew

« Reply #3359 on: 12 July, 2013, 07:58:17 am »
Odd Thomas

from a Dean Koontz novel. A film well worth watching, balancing a nice plot line with suspense, humour (verging on black) and sentimentalism, not going overboard in any direction. A brave twist too, though I suspect if you've read the book then it isn't!   

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3360 on: 12 July, 2013, 08:04:54 am »
The Andromeda Strain (1971)

Based on the book of the same title by Micheal Crichton.
Still a great movie despite it's age!   :)

« Reply #3361 on: 12 July, 2013, 09:18:51 am »
Magic Mike
"Comedy Drama". My arse. Not comedic, not dramatic.
Quote from: No1Daughter, 45 minutes in
I'm waiting for it to get funny. I haven't even smiled yet.

« Reply #3362 on: 13 July, 2013, 12:01:00 am »
Booked tickets to see Pacific Rim on Sunday. £40 for 2 tickets.  Stupidly expensive, but I'm giddy as a school girl in anticipation. Giant Robots vs giant monsters, what's not to like.

« Reply #3363 on: 13 July, 2013, 12:02:46 am »
Booked tickets to see Pacific Rim on Sunday. £40 for 2 tickets.  Stupidly expensive, but I'm giddy as a school girl in anticipation. Giant Robots vs giant monsters, what's not to like.
Rocket Punch! yeah!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3364 on: 13 July, 2013, 02:52:17 pm »
Saw it at the late show last night (overslept til NOW!). 

Eeeeeee!

EEEEEEEEE!

*throws panties at del Toro*
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3365 on: 13 July, 2013, 08:04:40 pm »
Gerald, and especially Andy, I hate you!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3366 on: 14 July, 2013, 09:02:22 am »
I don't know if it was over-anticipation but I was a bit underwhelmed by Pacific Rim.

ian

« Reply #3367 on: 14 July, 2013, 12:33:33 pm »
I don't know if it was over-anticipation but I was a bit underwhelmed by Pacific Rim.

I am moderating my excitement levels (either that or my wife is back to administering tranquilisers in my coffee). Anyway, tickets booked for Tuesday at the IMax. I'm spoiled, I can't see movies on little screens now, and the sound needs to be loud enough to make my bones vibrate.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3368 on: 14 July, 2013, 05:06:10 pm »
...with every step.

I need to see it again from a less stupendous angle - I sat front and centre in 3D, so there was a lot of wonderful confusion and mass. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Jakob

« Reply #3369 on: 14 July, 2013, 10:02:05 pm »

Saw this Friday and despite fairly low expectations, I was still quite disappointed. The characters are just flat out poor, almost at the level of Star Wars I-III

Andrew

« Reply #3370 on: 14 July, 2013, 10:05:34 pm »
Ray - the Ray Charles biopic. I gave up after maybe 30 minutes. I wanted to like it but I just felt it was without heart. Like watching wikipedia.

« Reply #3371 on: 14 July, 2013, 11:14:44 pm »
Pacific Rim.
Loved it. Left wishing I had my Sega Saturn at home so I could fire up Virtual On, and get some giant robot combat simulation up an running. I've been waiting all my life for live action giant piloted robots fighting giant monsters, and this will more than suffice for now.

First thoughts. The little kid from Queer as folk really has grown up. How does Australia afford it's own Jaeger?

It was interesting to see how they treated Hong Kong as a location. Other half deducted marks as they featured tuk tuks in Hong Kong (they don't have them) and coolie hats, no one wears them anymore, and especially not that type.

Plot spoilers follow:
Loved the sword action, but why didn't they start with the sword seeing how effective they were

Hillbilly

« Reply #3372 on: 15 July, 2013, 07:42:15 am »
DrUnKeN MaStEr

Early Jackie Chan.  Absolutely top drawer martial arts film.  The plot?  Pffft. Let's face it, these are watched for the fights and most of them in this film are truly jaw dropping in their athleticism and energy.  Almost balletic.  Awesome.

It's a shame many people will have formed an impression of Jackie Chan based on films like Around the World in 80 Days.  He's one of the greatest action stars of all time, in my opinion, and his western films only hint at this (in part because he was knocking on a bit when he was first lure by  the $$$$ tinseltown offers).

spindrift

« Reply #3373 on: 16 July, 2013, 03:46:04 pm »
Despicable Me 2.

I want to live with those funny little henchmen, they are hilarious.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3374 on: 16 July, 2013, 03:58:33 pm »
Despicable Me 2.

I want to live with those funny little henchmen, they are hilarious.

If you have an iThing or an Android thingy, download and play "Minion Rush".  Hours of endless fun :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State