Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 958310 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3500 on: 29 August, 2013, 09:43:38 pm »
Obviously, the spaghetti scene is the iconic scene of the film, but I had forgotten how good the Siamese Cats were.

Stands to reason.  It's the main cat bit in a film that's otherwise full of dogs, and dogs are rubbish.   :P

Interesting how so many people's idea of the temperament of Siamese cats is lifted straight from that scene.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3501 on: 29 August, 2013, 11:49:02 pm »
Just in from an evening in Leeds.  A Gourmet Burger followed by a pint of eminently quaffable cider both accompanied by quality nattering with a good mate and a new acquaintance then going to see a film with no kids.  That feels almost like being a growed up!

The Way Way Back, at the Vue right in the middle of Leeds.  I liked it.  A coming of age movie in which all the adults appear to exist in a state of arrested development.  I snorted unattractively with laughter on several occasions and managed to concentrate for the length of an entire film.  That doesn't happen very often, so I reckon that's a good sign.  Plus also it had a teenage boy riding a too small and very pink bike with sparkly handlebar streamers and grinning and that's the sort of sight that makes the world a better place.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3502 on: 31 August, 2013, 10:10:35 pm »
Moebius

Excellent adaptation of the A.J. Deutsch short story, which I only just discovered had been made into a film.

« Reply #3503 on: 31 August, 2013, 10:18:22 pm »
Moebius

Excellent adaptation of the A.J. Deutsch short story, which I only just discovered had been made into a film.

I thought you'd have been snuggled up with "The Deer Hunter"......  :P
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3504 on: 31 August, 2013, 10:29:34 pm »
Stupid deer.  Hardly need hunting if they're going to lemming themselves at passing vehicles like that.

« Reply #3505 on: 31 August, 2013, 10:36:56 pm »
Stupid deer.  Hardly need hunting if they're going to lemming themselves at passing vehicles like that.

Hope the poor thing was OK,   I've had "Who Killed Bambi" running through my head all day.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3506 on: 31 August, 2013, 10:40:33 pm »
Obviously, the spaghetti scene is the iconic scene of the film, but I had forgotten how good the Siamese Cats were.

Stands to reason.  It's the main cat bit in a film that's otherwise full of dogs, and dogs are rubbish.   :P

Interesting how so many people's idea of the temperament of Siamese cats is lifted straight from that scene.
I remember being very scared of the cats in the film when I was very little. Our dentist then had a pair of Siamese cats in the surgery and I remember being scared of them too.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3507 on: 31 August, 2013, 10:48:18 pm »
See, that's the wrong way round.  I had an intense fear of dogs from an early age, and once I got to know a couple and  realised that Siamese cats were just like normal cats but with the volume turned up to 11, I decided the were pretty cool.  Understandably I wasn't a fan of the film.

red marley

« Reply #3508 on: 01 September, 2013, 09:20:57 am »
Doctor in the House

Interesting to watch this after maybe 25 years since I last saw it. Some great one-liners, mostly from James Robertson-Justice as Sir Lancelot Sprat. Also some interesting footage of London that has changed considerably since 1954; I discovered my place of work used to have a whopping great church next to it that has since been replaced by a block of flats.

The depiction of student life just wouldn't be recognised by current 18 year olds. And there is one shockingly racist gag in the film which I suppose is reassuring in that it shows just how much things have changed for the better.

Jakob

« Reply #3509 on: 01 September, 2013, 10:51:53 am »
Star Trek 2: Crappy story, but Sherlock is good.
Iron Man 3: Best of the lot. (But that's not saying much!)
Only God Forgives: Apart from his girlfriend, it's a movie full of people you don't care for.

ian

« Reply #3510 on: 01 September, 2013, 12:48:33 pm »
Elysium.

(click to show/hide)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3511 on: 01 September, 2013, 01:17:08 pm »
The Right Stuff.  Must have seen it half a doz times by now. Love the unashamed slightly cynical gung-ho-ness of it, not to mention the planes and Lyndon Johnson beating up the inside of his limo.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3512 on: 01 September, 2013, 04:55:03 pm »
Elysium.

(click to show/hide)

Elysium is basically Occupy Wall Street: In Spaaaaaaaace! with cyborg smack-downs added so that it's not too preachy. ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3513 on: 01 September, 2013, 06:14:03 pm »

All many of the standard features of MovieOS, obviously along with fonts which display an inch high, prefect voice recognition and generation, high resolution animated graphics for just about any function, passwords which a five year old could guess, and the ability to access any other computer anywhere.

Conveniently, everyone uses the same version of MovieOS, including aliens, and all storage media is compatible.

I know someone who has made the MovieOS for several top Hollywood films. It probably won't surprise you to learn that he's a graphic designer, not a computer engineer.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jakob

« Reply #3514 on: 02 September, 2013, 07:08:23 am »
Just came back from watching Elysium. Pretty disappointed, but hey, at least my shots looked cool and didn't get destroyed in comp/DI.

LEE

« Reply #3515 on: 02 September, 2013, 09:21:39 am »
The Expendables (starring every action hero in Hollywood).

It's exactly as good as I thought it would be.  I hope that Stallone made the film with tongue firmly in cheek (although I sort of doubt it).

Adding action heroes to a movie is very much like multiplying more and more fractions together.

« Reply #3516 on: 02 September, 2013, 09:47:27 am »
51st State - again.

Meatloaf explodes - what's not to like ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

fuzzy

« Reply #3517 on: 02 September, 2013, 09:51:57 am »
51st State - again.

Meatloaf explodes - what's not to like ?

Not seen 51st State yet but, having caught a few minutes which included a kilt clad Samuel L Jackson getting all Jedi Master with a Golfsaber, I must say, my interest is piqued :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3518 on: 02 September, 2013, 03:58:16 pm »

The Lone Ranger

Uneven. Patchy. Curious. I can see why some critics hated it, I can see why some might like it.

It's a hoot in parts, silly (not good silly) in others, offensive (needlessly high body count) in others. Dark. Could be viewed as being deeply critical of the American dream, of capitalism.  A rewrite of the LR & Tonto story.

Reminds of 'Pirates of the Caribbean' (same director, producer & Johnny Depp) - aiming for a simiar kind of slapstick I think. Depp again clearly enjoys playing a comedy character.

Saw this last week. Completely agree with your assessment.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3519 on: 02 September, 2013, 05:21:28 pm »
Monte Carlo or Bust on bluray.

Excellent stuff, Terry Thomas, Peter Cook et all  in HD.

spindrift

« Reply #3520 on: 02 September, 2013, 09:39:49 pm »
Only God Forgives: Apart from his girlfriend, it's a movie full of people you don't care for.

- girl.

Jakob

« Reply #3521 on: 03 September, 2013, 06:13:11 am »

- girl.

Huh?

spindrift

« Reply #3522 on: 03 September, 2013, 06:51:18 am »
I may have this wrong, it's just a theory. The early scene with her was the slow reveal as he ran his hands up her legs, then cut away, Crystal refers to her as "May" when her name is Mai, the maternal phallus motif re-occurs throughout the film, Crystal sexually bellittles her surviving son. I'm probably wrong, but it added another dimension to an unsettling film.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #3523 on: 03 September, 2013, 06:53:39 am »
Pacific Rim - Hack job. God spare us cliche backstories.
Oblivion - cliche ridden Cruise/Morgan bankraid.

Hillbilly

« Reply #3524 on: 03 September, 2013, 10:41:06 am »
The internet has ruined my brain.  I read Pacific Rim.  And automatically add "Job" at then end  :(