Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 963988 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4125 on: 16 May, 2014, 11:12:38 am »
No. I am referring to Lindisfarne. That is where the car is parked on the sands by a little hut on stilts.

Ah, yes, sorry misunderstood, thought you were saying it wasn't shot in Scotland!
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4126 on: 16 May, 2014, 12:25:44 pm »
If you want to be on the edge of your seat all night, whilst watching the HOBBIT 2, may I suggest putting about 8 cushions behind you on the sofa.

Lee? Just wanted to pass on my own personal experience. I tried this with eight cushions the other evening, while watching Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Event, but found it left very little room to actually be EOTS (Edge Of The Seat). It worked fine with five cushions, but the film didn't warrant EOTS, and found it quite comfortable in the normal film-mode of one cushion. Hope this helps.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Ruth

« Reply #4127 on: 16 May, 2014, 12:28:16 pm »
Godzilla.  :thumbsup:

Is it worth going to see this in IMAX 3D, d'you think?  I've a long weekend off  8)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4128 on: 16 May, 2014, 12:30:07 pm »
Bigger is definitely better.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Ruth

« Reply #4129 on: 16 May, 2014, 12:30:59 pm »
Cool  :thumbsup:

Riggers

« Reply #4130 on: 20 May, 2014, 04:57:17 pm »
Famous Five drive fast and furious… er… No.5. On the telly.

I suspended belief constantly thoughout the film. Two muscle cars dragging a safe by wires, weighing several tonnes, around Rio's roads cooooouuuld happen I suppose … but I very much doubt it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4131 on: 20 May, 2014, 05:00:39 pm »
Edge of Darkness (2010)

Mel Gibson on form, but not a patch on the original TV series.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4132 on: 20 May, 2014, 05:06:54 pm »
Edge of Darkness (2010)

I vaguely remember yet another OTT performance from Ray Winstone in this, did I recall right?

Riggers

« Reply #4133 on: 20 May, 2014, 05:31:04 pm »
You have earned yourself 10 points!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4134 on: 20 May, 2014, 05:35:47 pm »
Edge of Darkness (2010)

I vaguely remember yet another OTT performance from Ray Winstone in this, did I recall right?

Yes.  Had to make sure the audience knew he was *English*.  Bollocks, guv'ner.

Not sure how much this was a homage to Joe Don Baker's portrayal of Jedburgh in the original.

Chris S

« Reply #4135 on: 20 May, 2014, 07:18:48 pm »
Edge of Darkness (2010)

Yes.  Had to make sure the audience knew he was *English*.  Bollocks, guv'ner.

Not sure how much this was a homage to Joe Don Baker's portrayal of Jedburgh in the original.

I thought the original was SO good, I'll never watch the "remake" - I just know it wouldn't match up.

Sure - it looks old, but it's still a gripping watch, not to mention a great "listen" with the Eric Clapton/Michael Kamen soundtrack. Bollox to any "remake"  >:(

Get me Pendleton!

spindrift

« Reply #4136 on: 20 May, 2014, 07:29:11 pm »
In the original Bob Peck finds Joanna Whalley's (his dead daughter's) vibrator. He kisses it. It sounds crass but it was a really moving scene, he's ripped up by grief. The scene is..odd, but authentic.

Ray Winstone can cock off, he stinks up every film he's been in, the useless tory tax exile.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4137 on: 21 May, 2014, 12:01:10 am »
I thought the original was SO good, I'll never watch the "remake" - I just know it wouldn't match up.

If you watch it with the level of expectation appropriate for say, the American remake of Red Dwarf, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Andrew

« Reply #4138 on: 21 May, 2014, 08:32:35 am »
2012 (2009)   - the film with John Cusack, just to avoid confusion!

Awful. Unbelievably shite awful. The crockiest shit of a movie I've ever begun to watch. No, I didn't see it through. I lasted maybe 20 or 30 minutes. How it ever saw the light of day just astounds me.

It did not know what it was trying to be, or trying to say, or trying to do. I can only figure that the director thought that if you throw enough stuff into the mix  (is that what is called a 'roller coaster' ride these days?) that something would stick for everyone. It's shit that sticks. 

Leaden dialogue. OTT special effects (possibly why it had the success it had). This might surprise you but I cannot emphasise enough how much I hated this film! 

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4139 on: 21 May, 2014, 09:25:16 am »
the American remake of Red Dwarf
<shudders!>
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #4140 on: 21 May, 2014, 09:32:31 am »
Leaden dialogue. OTT special effects (possibly why it had the success it had). This might surprise you but I cannot emphasise enough how much I hated this film!
But the neutrinos are heating up!

It's worth watching Woody Harrelson's performance. 'specially when he is blown up by a super-volcano.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #4141 on: 21 May, 2014, 09:59:47 am »
Film house in Edinburgh. Accidental Death Of A Cyclist I think its called? Basically the life story of Marco Pantani. Very good I though but then I like most stuff on at the flicks. Ot wasn't really conclusive or bad in a blame way.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4142 on: 21 May, 2014, 12:40:19 pm »
the American remake of Red Dwarf
<shudders!>

It's on Youtube.  Don't look.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4143 on: 21 May, 2014, 02:00:05 pm »
Zulu, the 1964 Stanley Baker/Cy Endfield one (there's a totally different film of the same name doing the rounds at present).

Bloody marvellous film. Shame Stanley Baker died so young.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrew

« Reply #4144 on: 22 May, 2014, 09:51:50 am »
Zulu, the 1964 Stanley Baker/Cy Endfield one

It is a good film. Probably one of my faves. The sight and sound of the Zulu warriors amassed on the hill tops, banging their shields, sends chills down the spine.

Chris S

« Reply #4145 on: 22 May, 2014, 10:32:14 am »
Zulu, the 1964 Stanley Baker/Cy Endfield one

It is a good film. Probably one of my faves. The sight and sound of the Zulu warriors amassed on the hill tops, banging their shields, sends chills down the spine.

According to Michael Caine in his autobiography - he was about the only member of the crew on the set who didn't succumb to dysentery during filming. He put this down to his then bottle-of-brandy-a-day habit  :).

ian

« Reply #4146 on: 22 May, 2014, 09:55:05 pm »
Godzilla.

Rather faithful, Godzilla played with the usual monster pathos of having to save the ant-like humans while they take pot shots at him with tanks and F22s.

Monster fight teased out a bit though, they should have got down to earlier. Everyone wants monster rumble.

Lead characters a bit wonderbread, they should have stuck with Cranston, Binoche and given Watanabe some lines and told him to stop looking like he needed a shit. Alas, movie rules have it that leads must look about ten years old.

3D was a bit pointless, but if you're going to watch monsters fight, it's got to be IMAX.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4147 on: 23 May, 2014, 12:06:17 am »
Inspired by a post earlier, I re-watched Malcolm.  It's every bit as delightfully silly as when I first saw it as an impressionable yoof.

I reckon it's overdue for a pointless reboot.  Edinburgh would seem like a good setting.   ;D

Ruth

« Reply #4148 on: 23 May, 2014, 12:25:22 am »
Godzilla.

Rather faithful, Godzilla played with the usual monster pathos of having to save the ant-like humans while they take pot shots at him with tanks and F22s.

Monster fight teased out a bit though, they should have got down to earlier. Everyone wants monster rumble.

Lead characters a bit wonderbread, they should have stuck with Cranston, Binoche and given Watanabe some lines and told him to stop looking like he needed a shit. Alas, movie rules have it that leads must look about ten years old.

3D was a bit pointless, but if you're going to watch monsters fight, it's got to be IMAX.

Or, indeed IMAX 3D.

Just got back.  Some epic big monsterage!  And the noise was marvellous.

ian

« Reply #4149 on: 23 May, 2014, 08:34:44 am »
Godzilla.

Or, indeed IMAX 3D.

Just got back.  Some epic big monsterage!  And the noise was marvellous.

I did IMAX 3D, but they usually just stick a few floating objects (debris, leaves) for 3D. I only watch movies on the IMAX these days after I went to an Odeon multiplex and screen 7 turned out to be the old 14 inch portable TV we'd got rid of in 1998. Apparently the IMAX at Waterloo is the biggest screen in Europe. Last time I went it was the biggest screen in Britain. Not sure what happened there, but I like to think the IMAXes are fighting it out. The one from Waterloo popped over to Germany one evening and did theirs in.

The giant one in Hollywood is going its too. Oh yeah.