Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 960049 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4350 on: 10 September, 2014, 09:46:47 am »
What's wrong with taking a girl to the Anne Frank Museum on a first date?

A friend of mine met his future partner on a tour of Dachau concentration camp.  I and the rest of his friends still find this very creepy.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4351 on: 10 September, 2014, 09:49:13 am »
What's wrong with taking a girl to the Anne Frank Museum on a first date?

Without wandering into the realms of spoilers, it isn't, though, is it? 
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

spindrift

« Reply #4352 on: 10 September, 2014, 09:57:26 am »

tiermat

« Reply #4353 on: 10 September, 2014, 09:59:41 am »
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4354 on: 10 September, 2014, 10:00:35 am »
Red Sorghum. Very unusual, somewhat harrowing.  Currently being remade as a serial.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4355 on: 10 September, 2014, 10:06:36 am »
Beg pardon, I've only read the (excoriating) reviews:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jun/19/fault-in-our-stars-review-john-green

Our English master once said of Jane Eyre that it was a good cry.  This sounds like a good vomit.

« Reply #4356 on: 11 September, 2014, 11:45:25 am »
'Divergent'
Mediocre book with a good premise. I'm assured that the next two books in the trilogy are better.

Kids wanted to watch the film. It made a better film than it did book, although very surprisingly they cut a lot of the gritty stuff (removed at least one death, totally removed the sexual assault bits from one scene and completely removed one significant fight). Obviously HBO had nothing to do with it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Ruth

« Reply #4357 on: 12 September, 2014, 12:04:12 am »

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jun/19/fault-in-our-stars-review-john-green

Our English master once said of Jane Eyre that it was a good cry.  This sounds like a good vomit.

I can't watch 'Faulty Stars'. I have seen the trailers and the posters. People dying of cancer are tired and thin and sometimes look like shit. Don't get me wrong. The courage of people with terminal disease, and their families', has affirmed my belief in the divinity of the human soul - again and again and again- but the prospect of it being made sanitary, and nice, and smelling all lovely, just repels me.
I can't watch it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4358 on: 12 September, 2014, 05:10:13 am »
Remember that there are two types of cancer - the cancer that actors get and that which affects Real People.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4359 on: 12 September, 2014, 12:52:55 pm »
There is most definitely more than one move about the miners strike that is good, Brassed Off being way better than Billy Elliot.  Then again that review is done by a Leftpondian.
Brassed off has some of the greatest acting I've ever seen, from Stephen Tompkinson and Pete Postlethwaite.

I agree.  It remains one of my most favourite films.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4360 on: 12 September, 2014, 01:07:34 pm »
I can't watch 'Faulty Stars'. I have seen the trailers and the posters. People dying of cancer are tired and thin and sometimes look like shit. Don't get me wrong. The courage of people with terminal disease, and their families', has affirmed my belief in the divinity of the human soul - again and again and again- but the prospect of it being made sanitary, and nice, and smelling all lovely, just repels me.
I can't watch it.

An extremely valid point.  People in general are tired and not-thin and sometimes look like shit, and Hollywood is notoriously bad at reflecting this, so it's not really a surprise.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4361 on: 12 September, 2014, 01:14:57 pm »

I can't watch it.

TB held the same place in the 19th century, witness Lady of the Camelias. Drowning within and singing to the last.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4362 on: 12 September, 2014, 01:37:08 pm »
I can't watch it.

An extremely valid point.  People in general are tired and not-thin and sometimes look like shit, and Hollywood is notoriously bad at reflecting this, so it's not really a surprise.

Everyone's 'brave' and/or a 'battler' in the media langauge of cancer.

if I die of cancer I want my obituary to begin "After a truly pathetic attempt to ward off cancer..."

tiermat

« Reply #4363 on: 12 September, 2014, 09:16:41 pm »
Tonight, The Sapphires.

It's the Commitments but in Aus/Vietnam.

Passed a happy hour or so, though.

I think I need to watch something a bit more challenging, I am getting a bit sick of these emotion-lite films.

Back to the likes of Biutiful, The Butterfly Wings etc.

« Reply #4364 on: 15 September, 2014, 08:32:16 am »
'Before I go to Sleep'.  a.k.a. 'Madam, I'm Adam'.

Hmmmm.. so, so.

Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4365 on: 15 September, 2014, 11:41:01 pm »
Primer

Low-budget time travel epic that isn't really about time travel.  Full marks for style, and the technobabble being the least confusing aspect.  Recommended.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4366 on: 16 September, 2014, 11:41:53 am »
Sounds interesting - will give that a look thanks for the heads up.

I like a good time travel film.  I also like Timecop.  ;D

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4367 on: 16 September, 2014, 11:54:26 am »
Soldier – Kurt Russell as the Terminator.  Earlier this month I watched Escape from New York which is Kurt Russell’s two hour long Clint Eastwood impression.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4368 on: 16 September, 2014, 12:34:50 pm »
Captain Phillips.

It was ok, but I was surprised it didn't mention his marriage to Princess Anne at all.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #4369 on: 16 September, 2014, 01:32:25 pm »
Pride. Warm hearted and defiantly proud of political struggle, identity politics and trade unionism.

Despite the outcome of the miners' strike, ultimately uplifting. I think I had something in my eye for about 90 minutes.
Ditto

Special screenings in York. Not a dry eye in the house.

Funniest moment wasn't a quip in the film. 'twas when Bronski Beat started playing. A guy behind me burst out clapping with a squeal of delight until his partner shushed him. I guess it brought back memories.

Being an uneducated Australian Oik in Australia in 1985, I had no idea until the end of the film that it was all based on history, that the march at the end really took place.

A similar thing happened in our showing when Bronski Beat appeared. Lovely moment.

The film had special resonance for me as I was involved in collections in Bristol and delivery of food and Christmas presents to Penrhiwceiber during the strike, a village not dissimilar to that in the film. Seeing what happened during and after the strike of 84/85 was a very significant part of my political education.

Having read the reviews on here and on IMDB I will have to go and see this.

One minor niggle with the IMDB reviews, though.  There is most definitely more than one move about the miners strike that is good, Brassed Off being way better than Billy Elliot.  Then again that review is done by a Leftpondian.

I loved the film too.  Having become politically aware at that time, having some gay activist friends at university, and living a 15 minute bike ride from the Dulais valley (and regularly cycling through Onllwyn - I was there last weekend), I'm amazed I'd not heard this particular story before. Or maybe I'd forgotten it.

One minor gripe - the accents wavered a little.  At the start Dai (Paddy Considine) referred to it a 'doolais' and my wife winced, but by the end it had become 'dilais'.

« Reply #4370 on: 18 September, 2014, 07:29:34 am »
More wobbly accents - this time in

'A Most Wanted Man', but it didn't bother me thanks to the otherwise excellent perfomances.  It was a film that used the drab streets of  Hamburg as a foil for the post 9/11 tensions between agencies and the extremists they track.  Subtle stuff from Le Carre with no car chases and shoot-outs to get in the way.

Sadly, Seymour Hoffman is no more.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4371 on: 19 September, 2014, 10:57:58 am »
Talking of wobbly accents*, last night I went to see a 16mm print of Highlander at a Hamster Hipster pop-up cinema in Hackney.

Great fun – I’m afraid I cracked up at the bit where young Rachael says “Everybody’s dead”, which ranks amongst the worst bits of child acting I’ve ever seen.  It set everyone else off too.

Celia Imrie’s girlfriend from hell performance is still one of my favourite bits, especially how angry and disappointed she is when Angus stops the villagers from burning McLeod.

*I’ve always thought that Lambert actually did an ok accent job, all considered.  Connery’s accent skillz have always been rubbish, although his approach of not trying (apart from his attempt at an Irish accent in The Longest Day) is infinitely preferable to Michael Caine’s vocal efforts.  I really think that Michael Caine thinks he sounds American when he essays a US accent.  All the other actors look at their shoes nervously and wonder why he’s doing a bad impression of a Cornish person.

spindrift

« Reply #4372 on: 19 September, 2014, 12:13:10 pm »
Connery revisited his Irish accent for The Untouchables, to widespread bafflement.

« Reply #4373 on: 19 September, 2014, 12:17:59 pm »
Doeschn't he allwaysche ushe the schame acshent regardlesche of the dialecht required? :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

spindrift

« Reply #4374 on: 19 September, 2014, 01:04:59 pm »
I was talking about this the other day, the best ever English accent was Renee Zellwegger, she nailed that annoying upper middle class inflexion.