Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 960109 times)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #5025 on: 12 April, 2015, 11:00:30 am »
Interstellar again (DVD was cheap in the supermarket). Enjoyable sci-fi hookum, still like the sound (might be less awesome now the cat has disemboweled to subwoofer), slightly spoiled by some science nonsense. I can easily put aside flying through the event horizon of a black hole without being stretched like spaghetti. I'm not a pendant, but the entire agricultural doomsday scenario was nonsensical, and really, 'blight breathes nitrogen', did I even hear that – the internet seems to think I did. And it's good to know that even as life on earth ends, Americans can still drive around in their favourite oversized pick-up trucks.

I've had time to reflect on the film now and I think it's a 4/10.

Matthew McConaughey is from the "mumble mumble mumble" school of realism so I needed a few rewinds to check what he just mumbled.

There was just too much bad science to keep letting it slide...to the point that NASA, staffed by about 9 people it seems, built the most advanced rocket ever created....and yet.....it wouldn't be able to complete the mission..without....the good ol' boy McConaughey at the wheel.

Will we seriously be performing manual docking, sweating with a joystick, in the future?  Last time we tried that a Russian almost wiped out the ISS (or was it Mir?).

Skimming event horizons on a whim, because "the secret of physics is in there", popping through wormholes, building upside-down towns, bookcases, dust...it was just so incoherent, a bagful of ideas strung together.

I seriously don't think you can just do the mental maths required to calculate trajectories to distant worlds. It was all a bit "If we just use Jupiter as a slingshot I reckon we can .....blah blah...now give me the controls"

The premise of the blight, in the face of GM food technology, was poorly thought through.  Why would we end up with just corn, of one variety?

So anyway, 4/10, action-packed but a bit silly and "mumble-mumble"
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5026 on: 12 April, 2015, 12:28:06 pm »
It broke the science fiction rule of only having one implausible idea.  Unseen future humans learn to manipulate gravity, in a timey-wimey sort of way: Fine.  Massive space stations, black hole, wormhole, even the thing with the bookshelf all stem from that (if not particularly coherently).  That side of things was all quite watchable, I thought.  Nobody ever gets future spaceships right, so we've learned to suspend common sense with regard to their engineering.  (Though if I were picking nits, it wouldn't be so much the manual docking, but that a craft that needs a Saturn V style launcher to reach earth orbit is suddenly SSTO capable on a planet with *higher* gravity.  WTF?)

It's the nonspecific handwavey agricultural apocalypse, and the society that stems from it that let things down.  That's the basis of a whole other story, and not one that lends itself to big physics and awesome spaceships no matter how much you stretch the imagination.  It hinted at a The Death Of Grass meets World War Z story that was potentially much more interesting.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5027 on: 12 April, 2015, 05:42:29 pm »
I genuinely feel sorry for you lot! Your obsessive pedantry must ruin many hours of perfectly good entertainment.

Interstellar wasn't a classic - far from it - but I for one wasnt going to let the dodgy science ruin it.

What next - picking holes in Star Wars?

I suggest you stop watching TV/films - just set your homepage to www.moviemistakes.com . You (and a million like-minded nerds souls ) can waste your whole life on there    ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5028 on: 12 April, 2015, 05:52:10 pm »
Star Wars didn't even pretend to have any SCIENCE.  In it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5029 on: 12 April, 2015, 05:52:53 pm »

And was all the better for it.

I didn't mind the dodgy science in Interstellar, either.  Just the bait-and-switch storytelling.  It would have worked just fine without the failing agriculture and shoestring NASA - what's wrong with "We've found a swirly thing near Jupiter, sent some ships, but haven't heard much from them, now we're going to see what they found..."?

And then they could have made a whole other movie about what happens when crops fail on a global scale...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5030 on: 12 April, 2015, 06:40:27 pm »
I genuinely feel sorry for you lot! Your obsessive pedantry must ruin many hours of perfectly good entertainment.

Interstellar wasn't a classic - far from it - but I for one wasnt going to let the dodgy science ruin it.

What next - picking holes in Star Wars?

I suggest you stop watching TV/films - just set your homepage to www.moviemistakes.com . You (and a million like-minded nerds souls ) can waste your whole life on there    ...

Don't feel sorry for us, I enjoy Sci-Fi as much as anyone...just not poor/average Sci-Fi.

Alien/Aliens are among the best Sci-Fi films ever made, partially because they don't bang on about Science the whole time.  That means we can actually forget the bad science.

Interstellar sets itself up as a Science movie so I need to judge it partially based on that.

Star Wars is just Lord of the Rings in space, it's just a story. Alien is a horror movie, Aliens is an action/chase movie. The space/science part could be substituted by an abandoned house or a submarine.

Interstellar gets the white board out and starts showing us the maths so it's hard not to check the calculations.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5031 on: 12 April, 2015, 06:47:15 pm »
The Imitation Game

8/10.  I really enjoyed it.  It seemed like a 30 minute film (which is my test of a good film.  I swear every Harry potter film lasts 9 hours and the cinema seats are made of iron spikes).

OK maybe, as a former Strowger engineer, I got all nostalgic for uni-selectors and such but I can't imagine anyone doing a much better job of making a cryptography movie.

Cumberbach played his usual nerdy, just-on-the-autism-spectrum, character very well (Need a just-on-the-spectrum nerd?, Benedict is your man).

Good entertainment basically.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5032 on: 12 April, 2015, 07:36:53 pm »
Yes, pretty much agree with that. We watched it last night.

No Oscar performances, but certainly a well made film that never had me wondering what time it was.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5033 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:43:20 pm »
Star Wars is a western.

That is all.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #5034 on: 12 April, 2015, 09:36:32 pm »
Star Wars is a western.

That is all.

No, no, no. Star Wars is an USAnian reworking of a Kurosawa movie (The Hidden Fortress), right down to the stroppy princess.  The major difference is that the duel between the General and his old adversary in the Hidden Fortress is a draw. Of course, the other Kurosawa films Yojimbo and Seven Samurai are Westerns.  Oh, and Throne of Blood is a remake of MacBeth.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #5035 on: 12 April, 2015, 09:56:32 pm »

I didn't mind the dodgy science in Interstellar, either.  Just the bait-and-switch storytelling.  It would have worked just fine without the failing agriculture and shoestring NASA - what's wrong with "We've found a swirly thing near Jupiter, sent some ships, but haven't heard much from them, now we're going to see what they found..."?

And then they could have made a whole other movie about what happens when crops fail on a global scale...

As I said earlier, I found myself in the cinema saying, out loud, "Bollocks", especially when three-foot-deep water produced mile high waves. What jerked my chain there was the endless supply of what I consider pure Hollywood moments, where I shout at the screen "Why are you being so STUPID?"

Example: pissing about in wreckage with megawave about to hit.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5036 on: 12 April, 2015, 10:06:19 pm »
Life Is Sweet

Following a conversation with the boy last week about Mike Leigh, I bought the DVD and made him watch it. It's a sign of how much he enjoyed it that he didn't pick up his phone and start messaging his friends halfway through. Haven't seen it for some years myself and had forgotten just how funny it is. Timothy Spall is superb.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #5037 on: 13 April, 2015, 09:45:01 am »

And yeah, and because of nitrogen breathing blight. That will somehow suffocate us. By, erm, oh, I don't know. It was probably planning to press a pillow over our faces in the night. I'd certainly build a ginormous gravity-defying spaceship to get away from the Pillow Monster.

To be honest, it seemed a way to get around mentioning those two words that many Americans can't stomach (sotto voce global warming). After all, global warming is a pre-packed and ready-to-use calamity. Mind you, the entire premise of the movie was 'oops we've fucked up the world, let's get the number 49 space bus to Another Galaxy' which really ought to appeal to the US right wingers who probably have their pick-ups and SUVs packed and ready to go. They're going to horribly disappointed when they discover that the only way to get to Another Galaxy is by public transport.

And yeah, you just grow one crop at a time, and then it all dies, you grow another one, until that dies. Really? All varieties of that crop are susceptible? And you'd go from corn and wheat to okra? In the mid-west? Not, erm, something like sorghum, or maybe millet, rye, triticale, barley, oats, spelt, durum, einkorn, teff, kamut, etc. Possibly the world was also in the grip of an epidemic of gluten intolerance. I look forward to the director's cut that includes the scenes of rampage in health stores as the shelves are emptied of the world's remaining supplies of quinoa.

Chris S

« Reply #5038 on: 13 April, 2015, 11:19:06 am »
Pssst!

Ian. Others. Follow me. Sanctuary awaits! ------------> https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=89875.0

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5039 on: 13 April, 2015, 12:07:54 pm »

And yeah, and because of nitrogen breathing blight. That will somehow suffocate us. By, erm, oh, I don't know. It was probably planning to press a pillow over our faces in the night. I'd certainly build a ginormous gravity-defying spaceship to get away from the Pillow Monster.

To be honest, it seemed a way to get around mentioning those two words that many Americans can't stomach (sotto voce global warming). After all, global warming is a pre-packed and ready-to-use calamity. Mind you, the entire premise of the movie was 'oops we've fucked up the world, let's get the number 49 space bus to Another Galaxy' which really ought to appeal to the US right wingers who probably have their pick-ups and SUVs packed and ready to go. They're going to horribly disappointed when they discover that the only way to get to Another Galaxy is by public transport.

And yeah, you just grow one crop at a time, and then it all dies, you grow another one, until that dies. Really? All varieties of that crop are susceptible? And you'd go from corn and wheat to okra? In the mid-west? Not, erm, something like sorghum, or maybe millet, rye, triticale, barley, oats, spelt, durum, einkorn, teff, kamut, etc. Possibly the world was also in the grip of an epidemic of gluten intolerance. I look forward to the director's cut that includes the scenes of rampage in health stores as the shelves are emptied of the world's remaining supplies of quinoa.

I just watched that last night - largely because I was in cow class and therefore there weren't any better films on offer.
I thought it started off ok and then got more and more ridiculous as the film went on.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Chris S

« Reply #5040 on: 14 April, 2015, 10:36:01 pm »
The Imitation Game.

(click to show/hide)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5041 on: 15 April, 2015, 12:12:00 am »
Guardians of the Galaxy

Pleasingly silly.

ETA: And they'd done that sci-fi film cliché of having an attractive woman with green skin, and not mentioning it for ages.

« Reply #5042 on: 15 April, 2015, 12:17:27 am »
The Woman in Gold.
No1Daughter nearly wasn't allowed in as she was about 20 years too young.
All right. Say 6/10
(click to show/hide)
That, though.

Chris S

« Reply #5043 on: 15 April, 2015, 08:43:29 am »
The Woman in Gold.
No1Daughter nearly wasn't allowed in as she was about 20 years too young.
All right. Say 6/10
(click to show/hide)
That, though.

Gets about, doesn't he?
(click to show/hide)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5044 on: 17 April, 2015, 04:02:58 pm »
I watched Inherent Vice on the plane last night. I didn't really get it. I could have done with subtitles (too much mumbling), stayed up for 2.5 hrs and nothing much really happened...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

fuzzy

« Reply #5045 on: 17 April, 2015, 11:14:59 pm »
Been catching up with the PVR recently-

Crazies- Zombie Apocolypse in the good ol US of A. Was an OK film.

Copycat- Ellen Ripley with Agorophobia? Detectives with wide ties and talking into bricks? A real trip down memory lane  :thumbsup:

44 inch chest
Parental Advisory
(click to show/hide)
. Not Ray Winston, John Hurt of Ian McShane at their best

hillbilly

« Reply #5046 on: 18 April, 2015, 09:08:46 pm »
Elysium

Given the cast and the pedigree of the director, this was a weak dystopian sci fi. It didn't seem able to make up its mind whether it was an action film (relentless chase mode) or a political allegory (arise earth subjects and cast down your masters).  Matt Damon was poor and the Sood Afreekahn was abysmal, as was the token female/childhood sweetheart.

Meh.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5047 on: 18 April, 2015, 09:58:38 pm »
^^^ Waste of a decent cast.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5048 on: 18 April, 2015, 10:48:18 pm »
Lucy.

Started promisingly and then hid inside its own fundament.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5049 on: 19 April, 2015, 12:01:35 am »
Sunshine

I wanted to see how bad the shoes were.

As I said in the other thread, if you're going to make a film about jump-starting the sun, then you've got to make damn sure you get the spaceships right.  They did the opposite, the film serving as a very effective list of things not to do when designing a spacecraft.  Indeed, other than the Brian Cox impressions - which were, if you'll pardon the pun, stellar - there's very little they did get right.

Supplementary science fiction rule:  If you're going to get the science completely wrong, and still insist on making a film about it, then you've got to do it badly enough to be funny.  If you fail at being either funny or realistic, all the third-rate horror in the world isn't going to save you.  Stop it.