Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 960052 times)

fuzzy

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #5900 on: 12 January, 2016, 10:09:56 am »
The Bourne Identity followed by TB Supremacy. Tonight will be TB Ultimatum.

Because.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5901 on: 13 January, 2016, 04:07:38 pm »
Currently watching Deep Star Six off the internet telly box in retro video rental store worn vhs quality!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5902 on: 13 January, 2016, 05:01:55 pm »
The Empire Strikes Back.  Missus bought the first trilogy. TESB's the only one I've seen. ROTJ tonight.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5903 on: 14 January, 2016, 08:43:01 am »
And what a crock of shit that was.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #5904 on: 14 January, 2016, 08:46:27 am »
wrong side of the Ewok Line, I take it?  :)

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #5905 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:23:45 am »
The smallest monsters in Halo ('tis a popular computer game, m'lud) make noises like an Ewok when you shoot them.

(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5906 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:29:28 am »
and don't forget:

"Jar-Jar makes the Ewoks look like fucking Shaft!"

/Bisley

ian

« Reply #5907 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:54:59 am »
Previously I'd made a safe harbour for disliking Ewoks. But quite liked them when I watched it before Christmas. Age must have softened me. Like brie. Then went all seagal on a ungodly number of stormtroopers (who are perennial shit at everything, no wonder the Empire always loses).

Jar-Jar though, as mentioned, proved unwatchable. I had to bail on the movie, as experiences go it's somewhere between an all over fungal problem and tripping and falling headfirst into an unflushed Wetherspoon's pub toilet.

« Reply #5908 on: 14 January, 2016, 10:31:04 am »
and don't forget:

"Jar-Jar makes the Ewoks look like fucking Shaft!"

/Bisley
I'm going to start a youtube channel called "why ewoks are badass".
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5909 on: 14 January, 2016, 01:09:13 pm »
I was born on the wrong side of the Ewok Line.  I mean, I can see plenty of reasons to hate them, but really they're no sillier or more irritating than plenty of things we already accept in Star Wars canon.  C3PO for a start.  And they did prove that imperial stormtroopers don't like it up em.

Anyway, if you do the maths, the wreckage from the second Death Star would have wiped them out (if the bombardment didn't get them, the resulting nuclear winter would have done) shortly after they finished singing, so it seems mean to hold a grudge.

« Reply #5910 on: 14 January, 2016, 04:55:36 pm »
Much of my post-teen Starwars Appreciation has been, as previously mentioned, via the medium of LEGO STAR WARS on Playstation.

Ewoks are ok. That metal piece of wotsit, however, is known chez boab as C-Crappio-O.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5911 on: 14 January, 2016, 05:09:47 pm »
R2D2, on the other hand, is the true hero of the series.  And, in spite of his superficial resemblance to Dusty Bin, surprisingly un-annoying.

« Reply #5912 on: 14 January, 2016, 10:33:35 pm »
Truly Madly Deeply

Sigh.

« Reply #5913 on: 15 January, 2016, 08:22:07 am »
Thoroughly Modern Millie

MrsC was surprised to find out I hadn't seen it. She was at boarding school, about 11, when first shown it. When they returned to school, she waited until everyone was asleep then pushed a laundry basket with a squeaky wheel along the dorm.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5914 on: 15 January, 2016, 09:30:08 am »
^^^ Nice. Please convey my admiration.

Last night we watched a ghastly thing called "River", sent my wife by one of her running chums.  Why such a feast of boring misery should ever have been made beats me. Wife likes it and there are six miserable episodes to sleep through.

Andrew

« Reply #5915 on: 15 January, 2016, 12:22:44 pm »
Atonement - I read the book and enjoyed it but the film was disappointing (how often do we say that?). I couldn't warm to Cecilia (played by Kierra Knightley) despite her circumstances. I wouldn't neccessarily blame Knightley for that though, the accent she did (English upper class) tended to irritate me more than it ought to have in fairness. Personal bugbear. I remember the book evoking the effects of the heat wave much more than the film did. Indeed, I remember the book being far more coherent and even paced; the film is quite dull until the final scenes.

Julie and Julia - a magnificent performance by Meryl Streep (one of the truly great actors of these times) in a light and amusing comedy. This ought be a Christmas move really, perhaps one day it will be or perhaps it already is somewhere, as it has that 'feel good' air about it.  The character Streep plays (Julia Child) was a real life cookery writer and TV chef in the USA and seems larger than life anyway; Streep played her for laughs largely but with enough hints to the person behind the mask to have her seem real. Maybe 30 minutes too long but a cracking script keeps it all moving along nicely.

hillbilly

« Reply #5916 on: 17 January, 2016, 08:26:36 am »
Scarface

It's 33 years old and it is still has one of the best montage sequences of all time.  Whilst it's famous for Al's leetel fraynd, there is so much more to enjoy in this classic story charting the rise and fall of Tony Montana. The direction, the script, the performances.  Living in 80s Miami still looks so damn cool.

« Reply #5917 on: 17 January, 2016, 08:44:48 am »
Earlier as in .... all the ones he made before this?

Or "earlier" as in ... the crap last 4-or-so (basically everything post PF in my mind!)

I really really want this film to be good - the building blocks are alllll there. Please?

Probably the latter I suspect (i.e. the later films you’re less keen on). 

I’ll admit I much prefer his earlier films (the first four if you count True Romance, which although he didn’t direct it has a great script by him – and anyway I like Tony Scott).  I’m a big fan of Jackie Brown, left me cold the first time I saw it but my appreciation for it has grown.  In fact I would almost much prefer to see him do a bunch more Elmore Leonard adaptations than some of his own scripts.

Of the more recent films, I still don’t really rate Inglorious Basterds (although as ever some of the parts are good) but Django Unchained has really grown on me – this as ever is obviously a personal thing.

The most recent one is a film I think you need to see twice, as there’s a strong mystery element to it* and it will be interesting to watch the various characters again now that I know the full story.  I liked this one first off but the whole 70mm Roadshow experience was great fun – how it will stand up over time I don’t know.

*At the Intermission my friend Andy said “It’s like Agatha Christie with guns”.

Seen in a multiplex without intermission, one of the trailers was for a new film that felt like an Elmore Leonard, not much point to that comment as I can't remember what it was called, something about a private eye and an enforcer.

I think Tarantino is turning into a great storyteller.

« Reply #5918 on: 17 January, 2016, 12:19:34 pm »
Thoroughly Modern Millie

Some Like It Hot

Both completely and utterly bonkers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5919 on: 17 January, 2016, 02:15:07 pm »
Last Trailer I Watched: Revenant
(bear tries to eat Wolf of Wall St)

pfft. What a load of prettily shot piffle that looks.

<...
reads reviews. Hears Kermode review
...>

Hang on. This actually sounds rather good!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ian

« Reply #5920 on: 17 January, 2016, 05:51:24 pm »
My first international jaunt of the year, and passing the time means I get to watch any old crap (I don't travel so much these days, there used to be a point where by the end of February that I'd seen everything. Mind you I remember when they had the one movie, and that was it.)

Spy – James Bond/Bourne spoof thing. Modestly amusing, mostly for the Stath taking the piss out of himself. Actually, it would have been a better movie if it was just that.

The Martian - it had to happen, not as bad as I feared. If I were Matt Damon I'd keep both feet firmly on the terra firma of planet Earth, it never goes well for him. It was all a bit tension light, everything seemed to have an easy solution. I may have napped in the middle or it may have had a 'three years later' appear at the bottom of the screen. Probably a good thing. I couldn't be bothered rewinding to find out. And yeah, I could have cringed into an entirely new dimensions at the 'science the shit out of this' line.

Fantastic Four – it seems the thing now to re-invent movies that they've only recently re-invented, just with a younger cast. In a decade or so, it'll be foetuses starring in these things, modern movie goers evidently don't want to faced with the craggy Mount Rushmore visages of anyone over the age of forty with their creaky corroding bodies and endless need to tell you about stuff that happened to them. Bor-ing. Anyway, same old, same old, some people get super powers, one of them goes bad, there's a fight. It's been done a million times and often better.

Inside Out - a modern day Numbskulls, very cleverly and affectingly done and by far the best of the lot. Watch the closing credits for the best explanation of cat behaviour you'll ever get.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5921 on: 17 January, 2016, 06:43:38 pm »

The Martian - it had to happen, not as bad as I feared. If I were Matt Damon I'd keep both feet firmly on the terra firma of planet Earth, it never goes well for him. It was all a bit tension light, everything seemed to have an easy solution. I may have napped in the middle or it may have had a 'three years later' appear at the bottom of the screen. Probably a good thing. I couldn't be bothered rewinding to find out. And yeah, I could have cringed into an entirely new dimensions at the 'science the shit out of this' line.

Inside Out - a modern day Numbskulls, very cleverly and affectingly done and by far the best of the lot. Watch the closing credits for the best explanation of cat behaviour you'll ever get.

I loved the Numbskulls when I was a kid.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/saving-matt-damon#.pn6j0NNdW
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5922 on: 17 January, 2016, 08:01:38 pm »
Children Of Men

Caught it on Syfy while channel hopping last night. Seen it before obvs but not for a while so I'd forgotten a lot of the detail. The story is a bit more flimsy than I remembered but the visuals remain incredible, especially the car chase and the final Battle of Bexhill scenes. Great cameos from Michael Caine and Peter Mullan too.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5923 on: 17 January, 2016, 11:39:08 pm »
San Andreas

Standard high-budget disaster movie fare.  Brits who weren't evil.  But what I really want to know is when did we get to the point where the fact that a basic wired phone plugged into an analogue POTS line will work without mains power is obscure technical information that might serve as a plot device?   ::-)

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #5924 on: 18 January, 2016, 06:35:34 am »
San Andreas

Standard high-budget disaster movie fare.  Brits who weren't evil.  But what I really want to know is when did we get to the point where the fact that a basic wired phone plugged into an analogue POTS line will work without mains power is obscure technical information that might serve as a plot device?   ::-)

As soon as such phones disappeared in favour of electronic ones that needed batteries to support memories, like the BT React series.  Late 80's or maybe even earlier: Most of my contemporaries at school didn't know how phones worked, and probably still don't.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…