Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 960001 times)

ian

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6275 on: 11 April, 2016, 06:13:20 pm »
Under Siege is brilliant though. When I'm commander of the world, I'm going to retrospectively re-award all the Oscars to this movie.

I really think I'm going to watch Left Behind. I don't want to, but it has developed a strange allure. Possibly the combination of a stinky head cold and an afternoon spent inputting my expenses has somehow tenderised my brain. I will wear my best bicycle helmet while I watch it though.

Idly glancing through the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, even critics like Roger Ebert gave Knowing a 4/4 review. Barney fucking pyjamas! He must have been nobbled. For Left Behind though, there seems to have been no sum of money that could induce a good review.

I confess I'm a little bit scared. The kind of little bit that translates to abso-fucking-lutely terrified. I confess I've seen every movie in the Paranormal Activity series and liked them. But this is something else entirely. It's like I'm stepping beyond any reasonable frame of rationality. But I have to. As a practitioner of Tidy Haired Thought Leadership™ I'm doomed to lead. To go the places you fear. Destiny beckons. An ocean of pure, superheated shit awaits. Filled with hungry shit sharks.

Remember, if you don't hear from me again, I did this for you. All of you.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6276 on: 11 April, 2016, 08:26:04 pm »
To be fair, film quality can be like the circles of politics and fashion - at the extreme ends of the good-bad spectrum they can merge into one.  The *very* worst films are often so bad it's genius.
I could watch Plan 9 from Outer Space all day.
Under Siege isn't quite there but is in a zone of special silliness that's entertaining much like Con Air (though Con Air is much better) - oddly enough as a twentysomething bloke when it came out - Erika Eleniak and the cake didn't really do it for me - that bit was just shit.

I never rely on film reviews entirely but it can be useful to have a quick gander before making a vital decision on whether to actually pay to watch it or not (rotten tomatoes is more reliable but even that seemed to Love Max Fury(ious I bothered) Road).
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6277 on: 11 April, 2016, 09:09:49 pm »
Under Siege is brilliant though. When I'm commander of the world, I'm going to retrospectively re-award all the Oscars to this movie.

I really think I'm going to watch Left Behind. I don't want to, but it has developed a strange allure. Possibly the combination of a stinky head cold and an afternoon spent inputting my expenses has somehow tenderised my brain. I will wear my best bicycle helmet while I watch it though.

Idly glancing through the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, even critics like Roger Ebert gave Knowing a 4/4 review. Barney fucking pyjamas! He must have been nobbled. For Left Behind though, there seems to have been no sum of money that could induce a good review.

I confess I'm a little bit scared. The kind of little bit that translates to abso-fucking-lutely terrified. I confess I've seen every movie in the Paranormal Activity series and liked them. But this is something else entirely. It's like I'm stepping beyond any reasonable frame of rationality. But I have to. As a practitioner of Tidy Haired Thought Leadership™ I'm doomed to lead. To go the places you fear. Destiny beckons. An ocean of pure, superheated shit awaits. Filled with hungry shit sharks.

Remember, if you don't hear from me again, I did this for you. All of you.

I don't understand why you would do this to yourself ian.  It's like a mad form of self-harm.  An awful, badly-written set of terrible books based on a Fundie literalist interpretation of the Bible, turned into a Nick Cage film - the very concept pisses me right off.

There are Hitchcock movies, y'know.
Milk please, no sugar.

ian

« Reply #6278 on: 11 April, 2016, 09:19:05 pm »
I'm having second thoughts. I made the mistake of reading a few reviews (normally I read them after the fact). Fear has crystallised into jaggedy little terror spikes and they're needling my brain.

I'm not sure I can. Nicolas Cage in a christian fundie movie. I'd pay good money to watch Jesus go gangnam, but the King of Sucky Movies in a god-botherer scripted by a doughnut?

I think I need to step back from the precipice.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6279 on: 11 April, 2016, 09:20:04 pm »
Have you seen Ruby Sparks?  Go and watch Ruby Sparks.  It's a great film.
Milk please, no sugar.

caerau

« Reply #6280 on: 11 April, 2016, 10:03:05 pm »
To be fair, I find it hard to believe you can go worse than Gone in Sixty Seconds or Snake Eyes.

caerau

« Reply #6281 on: 11 April, 2016, 10:11:16 pm »
Or Ghost Rider  :sick:

ian

« Reply #6282 on: 11 April, 2016, 10:35:44 pm »
Oh. My. God.

Nicolas Cage. I just realised.

Captain Corelli's Fucking Mandolin. My nemesis.

I see now. The dark, dark truth. Stretched from here to infinity, dark tinsel strung between the stars, across spaces where only shadows lurk, ripe with death and madness, the web of slumbering terror, ever patient, ever eager. There's no escape. He waits eternal. It's all true, the stories about his timelessness. He's counted down my hours. Now it awakes and the horror can only consume me. It's too la...

caerau

« Reply #6283 on: 11 April, 2016, 10:46:20 pm »
Haven't seen that and am not likely to - I don't really do Rom-Com or just Rom.  Thankfully neither does the missus - if only I could wean her off CorrieEnders  ::-)

« Reply #6284 on: 11 April, 2016, 10:52:54 pm »
To be fair, I find it hard to believe you can go worse than Gone in Sixty Seconds or Snake Eyes.

How about Drive Angry?

Though it does have an amusing turn by William Fichtner as Hell's accountant...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1502404/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

caerau

« Reply #6285 on: 11 April, 2016, 11:03:54 pm »
I can only go on one's I've seen sadly.  I'm sure you're correct

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6286 on: 12 April, 2016, 07:45:31 am »
I really think I'm going to watch Left Behind.

Sounds a bit half-assed to me.  ;D

Quite like Adaptation, but then it's Charlie Kaufmann.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #6287 on: 12 April, 2016, 10:55:40 am »
And I woke up. A cold space, unseemingly vast. Beyond I heard the scream of wind like it was tearing across giant blades. At least I hoped it was the wind. Opening my eyes was like scraping away dirt from a window. A low sickly light filled the space. I realised I was not alone. Sitting opposite was a man on a chair. A chair that looked to be constructed from old, old bones. I recognised him, of course. He looked up from the book he was reading and seemed to consider me for a time, the way one considers a new discovery, wondering whether it's worth further scrutiny or not. His eyes were no colour I recognised. I had to look away for a moment, only seeing the aching spaces.

"Aren't you?" I said, my words like old parchment.

It wasn't quite a smile that reached his lips. Something cold instead leached through time, forever distant.

"Yes, I'm Nicolas Cage. Though here my name is Yog-Sothoth."

"But where is here?" I think I knew.

"I am all time and all space. This is my domain. The impossible." He held up the book. I read the title. Captain Corelli's Mandolin. A shiver quaked me. He really smiled and tapped the cover of the book. I knew then what the book truly was. The dread Necronomicon. The old title fell away.

"How..."

"You watched the movie."

Whatever was, was gone, the abyss reeled around us. The wind wasn't that, I realised, it was the multitudinous screams, a chorus of pain, eternal as the stars. Yog-Sothoth had the book open, his mouth distorting. Strange words that weren't words rupturing the air. It was all too late...

----

OK, I watched it. I went into the impossible. It was bad. But not quite as bad as Knowing, which was almost disappointing. Or the godforsaken remake of The Wicker Man. That's not a commendation. Left Behind is by any conventional measure awful. The laboured Bible bashing would have pushed Jesus to hard liquor, whores, and gambling. Not to measure the entire noxious Rapture theology. Kids get zipped up to heaven despite being amoral little Hitlers. Muslims, nice to everyone, but no way Muhammed, you backed the wrong horse. Boozers. Gamblers. No pass for you. Old ladies with dementia, God doesn't want your forgetful shit taking a seat on Elysium. Little people, no way. They're always so short and angry. Heaven is a tall people only gig. As far as I could tell, if Heaven took any black people, it was for the other Heaven, the one at the back. Top tip, if you want to enraptured, just make sure your write BIBLE STUDY in big bold, all caps in your diary. That's how it works. He probably won't check.

On the plus side, come on, who doesn't want to be flown by a pilot called Rayford Steele. The music (and production values) were pure 1990s TV movie (seriously, I can't stress the music enough, it's perversely brilliant for all the wrong reasons). The acting is painful and Nic Cage spends the entire movie looking like he's enduring a colonoscopy.

I can't, to be honest, even contemplate how such a movie can have come to exist. Surely there are better things to spend $16 million on. Nic could have spent it on better proctologist, for instance.

« Reply #6288 on: 12 April, 2016, 01:12:54 pm »
Well done on sticking with Left behind, a while back I managed ~20 minutes, before absolutely anything at all became a vastly more compelling option.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

ian

« Reply #6289 on: 12 April, 2016, 01:38:41 pm »

How about Drive Angry?

Though it does have an amusing turn by William Fichtner as Hell's accountant...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1502404/

Drive Angry sounds like something I'd write. Sadly not on Netflix.

They do have Season of the Witch. Which sounds like – dare I say – classic Cage. I have to go out tonight unfortunately, but I'm booking that for later in the week.

Snake Eyes and 8MM were awful, but they were dull awful. One surprising benefit of watching Left Behind is that my day now had a splendid 90s TV movie soundtrack playing in my head. Also, when my wife gets home to discover piles of clothes everywhere, I can blame it on the rapture and not my unstructured approach to laundry.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6290 on: 12 April, 2016, 04:04:29 pm »
Ian, no good will come of this masochism.  Save yourself before it's too late, with some quality Bruce Willis time, or Bond James Bond.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6291 on: 12 April, 2016, 05:24:37 pm »
Probably too late - I think he's addicted. He must know that there are plenty of - you know  - actually *enjoyable* movies on th shelves of his local Blockbusters.

(some of them even contain Mr Cage. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ian

« Reply #6292 on: 12 April, 2016, 06:09:17 pm »
Well, it goes without saying that I never stray too far from my Die Hard Box Set (but let's not talk about the latest one, 1 through 4 only). There few situations that don't benefit from considering what-would-John-McClane-do. It's my mantra. If I may share a little THTL with you, I suggest you all take it onboard. WWJMD. John McClane wouldn't baulk at the prospect of Nicolas Cage. OK, unless it was The Wicker Man remake.

It's not really masochism. I've learned a lot. Anyone's day is more dramatic with a TV movie soundtrack. I had previously gone with Michael Bay, but it's a bit tiring and I spent my days in fear of being struck by an asteroid. I've learned that Nicolas Cage is probably an human avatar of Yog-Sothoth. When he's not in the movies, he's busy presiding over the timeless halls beyond the Gate of Silver Key (don't try to find it with satnav). I've also realised my fear of Captain Corelli's Mandolin isn't down to the fact that it's cloying middle-class twaddle, it's because it's actually the dread Necronomicon. On that basis, I'd suggest no one reads it. It may look like human book, but it's the dark grimoire of Abdul Alhazred, and contains all that is needed to summon the Old Ones. Summoning the Old Ones from their eternal slumber between the stars is generally not a good idea. Cthulhu is the very definition of getting out of the wrong side of the bed.

So, in it's own way, watching Left Behind might have actually saved the world. I consider that a successful evening and well worth the sacrifice.

caerau

« Reply #6293 on: 12 April, 2016, 07:55:16 pm »
Probably too late - I think he's addicted. He must know that there are plenty of - you know  - actually *enjoyable* movies on th shelves of his local Blockbusters.

You have a Blockbusters?  It still exists?

« Reply #6294 on: 12 April, 2016, 08:14:25 pm »

You have a Blockbusters?  It still exists?
The sole branch exists to provide Ian with copies of Nicholas Cage's movies.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #6295 on: 12 April, 2016, 08:27:49 pm »
I used to like the Blockbuster experience, that desultory 10pm stroll past empty shelves to find all they had was 100 copies of some lacklustre rom-com or some shit about zombies, the most useless of the monsters, until those chucklemonkeys turned vampires into wearisome teenagers. I don't want to get bit by some kind of angsty human kitten. Seriously, that's just as bad as the zombies, which is like being chased by a OAP. Have you watched The Walking Dead. That show is so slow that for all I know it's playing backward. Hey, let's walk into another ambush, that'll be cool. Idiots.

According to the internet, there's a theory that Nicolas Cage is a vampire. Someone found some old photos that purport to be him. They're close but we all now know he's an avatar of Yog-Sothoth.

Sadly, our local Blockbuster gave up the ghost about two years ago. Are there any left?

None of this is about my enjoyment. I saved the world. Thanks so far? Nil.

caerau

« Reply #6296 on: 12 April, 2016, 09:20:00 pm »
That's the first negative comment I've ever hear about the walking dead - people had me almost convinced to watch it at some point.  I still may to be fair - it receives rave reviews everywhere else... interesting.

ian

« Reply #6297 on: 12 April, 2016, 09:33:46 pm »
I've been trying to watch it for years. It's not exactly fast-paced. It's aptly zombie-paced. Plus I have yell 'it's a trap you idiots' quite a lot. They never listen.

It's partly that I don't find zombies scary. There's loads of things I do find scary: non-angst-kitten vampires (or come to think of it, vampire kittens), poltergeists and assorted ghosts, kaijū, clowns, some (but not all) demons, an angry Chuck Norris. But zombies. You can fight them off with a stick, or merely walk away at a spritely pace.

Plus I have the attention span of a nematode.

caerau

« Reply #6298 on: 12 April, 2016, 10:17:47 pm »
I quite liked the newer super-fast zombies of 28 days later and world-war-Z  - I was particularly enthused there when they flew from Israel to the world Zombie research facility in Cardiff - located neatly on one of my cycle routes (really - well the film location at least  :-D )  Not often Cardiff makes it into Holywood fillums.  I'm taking it that Walking dead is not that then.

Otherwise yeah I generally agree - it really makes me laugh that Zombie Flesheaters/Dawn of the Dead and such were banned as video nasties in the 80s.  They are just a tomato-ketchup fest.  ::-)   Gory in a kind of totally-unbelievable way I suppose.  Scary?  Hahahahaha

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #6299 on: 12 April, 2016, 10:25:02 pm »
12 months ago I saw Seasick Steve, bought tickets for The Saw Doctors today - but that's not 'til October,. Hope I get to something before then  :-\