Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 960045 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6875 on: 02 January, 2017, 03:01:52 pm »
After re-reading "Call For The Dead" I've just watched "The Deadly Affair".  James Mason playing Not George Smiley in 60's London with backup from Harry Andrews.   Red buses & phone boxes, signs for Watneys Red Barrel, casual police brutality, two Redgraves.   Well acted & worth watching.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #6876 on: 02 January, 2017, 07:42:25 pm »
Rogue One. As others have said a bit darker and less-kiddified than the others of the canon. The robot wasn't even cute enough for merchandising opportunities (though I'm sure they'll try). As a notional adult, I've always been a bit confused by the mix of evil oppressors blow up an entire planet vs. hey look here's a chirpy little droid, kids.

On Netflix, The Equalizer. Which was apparently a brit TV programme that passed me by. But we have Denzel and Denzel, well, do not mess with Denzel. He's probably OK if you spill his pint and you apologize and buy him a new one. But if you don't apologize, and leave his pint soaking into the carpet. That's a very bad decision, my friend. Anyway, this was Denzel vs. the Russian Mob in the power tools section of B&Q (and don't tell me you've not had that dream). No spoilers required.

I don't know who does PR for the Russian Mob, but they're doing a shit job. The number of times I've seen them mowed down like daisies is extraordinary. I swear The Stath alone had wiped out more Russians than the Germans managed in two world wars. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to fear a crime organization that can get taken down by Steven Seagal (Putin really hasn't seen his back-catalogue). You look closely at those tattoos and you'll see they're mostly scenes from My Little Pony.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6877 on: 02 January, 2017, 08:01:29 pm »
London Has Fallen

It was good, the expected helicopter crashes, gun fights and car chases.

Thing is, put Trump in the role of POTUS and you kinda hope ...
Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6878 on: 02 January, 2017, 08:40:31 pm »
The original Liquidiser, er, Equalizer was only a little bit BRITISH inasmuch as it starred Ewar Woowar (and, in one episode, Adam Ant) but it was set in Miami.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6879 on: 05 January, 2017, 05:26:27 pm »
Warsaw 44 last night.

Things that might put off the undiscerning.

1.  It's Polish with  :jurek:  Subtitles  :jurek:  (I had to persuade the wife initially)

2. Erm... well not *much* knowledge of WWII is required to know that this isn't going to be entirely HAPPY in nature.  And one ought to expect some minor violence.

If you can get around that- well it was rather excellent actually - though if you think Private Ryan does realistic WWII violence well - you may need a sick bucket at one point.  Wow - not quite seen what was on display at one point before - but I don't doubt it was realistic.  :'(

Anyway, it was a bit strange at times with odd dance scenes amongst the violence and the central love-triangle is a little clichéd

But it was generally very good and certainly gets my recommendation.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #6880 on: 05 January, 2017, 07:52:37 pm »
'Silence'

Not my choice of viewing and indeed it turned out over religious and the scenes of brutality were excruciating.  The film was much too long and I have to say despite their harsh treatment of the Christians, it was easier to be sympathetic to the Japanese rulers POV rather than the radicalising evangelists of whose motives it was easy to be suspicious. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6881 on: 06 January, 2017, 08:35:48 am »
Having read the book years ago I don't think I'd care to see the film.

FWIW IMDB's relegation of authors to a "1 more credit" link in the "Writers" line always pisses me off, since the film wouldn't be there without them, but in clicking through I found out that there was an original 1971 Japanese film.  If you look for Shûsaku Endô's book on Amazon the first that comes up is the film tie-in.  :demon:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6882 on: 06 January, 2017, 09:09:49 am »
Not watched Ethel and Ernest yet, but I was a blubbering wreck when I watched What We Did on Our Holidays last year.

Oh god... Ethel & Ernest will have you in pieces.

It's sooo perfectly pitched, with a lovely understated English kind of sentimentality that steers the right side of cloying. At face value it's just the very ordinary story of two very ordinary people living very ordinary lives, but like all the best stories, it's all in the telling.

Totally agree. The best thing I saw all Christmas.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #6883 on: 06 January, 2017, 10:21:06 am »
The Revolting Rhymes animations were rather good as well.

« Reply #6884 on: 06 January, 2017, 07:21:13 pm »
Just rewatched Martyrs. I've concluded it's a work of genius, a landmark French movie. Well acted and emotionally magnetic, well crafted, and delving into the psychosis of France's Nazi collaborators.

« Reply #6885 on: 08 January, 2017, 04:58:48 pm »
Finished The Man in the High Castle 2 (set in 1960s, where the outcome of WW2 was very different) on Amazon prime.*

Thought provoking, well acted (Rufus Sewell is great), and gripping...  Season 2 probably better than 1, I thought. 

*Prob worth the free month trial for prime, if you have the option...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6886 on: 08 January, 2017, 05:18:49 pm »
The Cabin in the Woods. It's veryJoss Whedon.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6887 on: 08 January, 2017, 06:10:15 pm »
Deadpool.

It blew its wad in the first sequence.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #6888 on: 08 January, 2017, 06:24:34 pm »
Suicide Squad reprised on the small screen. A bit meh.

« Reply #6889 on: 09 January, 2017, 10:59:49 am »
Not watched Ethel and Ernest yet, but I was a blubbering wreck when I watched What We Did on Our Holidays last year.

Oh god... Ethel & Ernest will have you in pieces.

It's sooo perfectly pitched, with a lovely understated English kind of sentimentality that steers the right side of cloying. At face value it's just the very ordinary story of two very ordinary people living very ordinary lives, but like all the best stories, it's all in the telling.

Totally agree. The best thing I saw all Christmas.

Oh yes.  (Caught up with it on iPlayer this weekend.)  Absolutely beautiful animation, really charming and extremely touching.  :thumbsup:

hillbilly

« Reply #6890 on: 09 January, 2017, 04:58:52 pm »
Am starting to get full value out of Netflix, which has some interesting films lurking in the depths.  Some short reviews.

Lo and Behold: Reveries of a connected world Rather flat documentary about the impact of the internet on humanity.
The Thirteenth Powerful documentary about the enslavement of black America in prisons. God help them under Trump!
Capote: Phillip Hoffman delivers a great performance about the background to his classic novel "In cold blood".  Recommended.
Dazed and Confused: Teen coming of age story from the 90s, directed by Linklater and starring young versions of some well known names.  No real plot but is carried along by a great vibe (and soundtrack).  Would make a great triple bill with Breakfast Club and American Graffiti.
Blackfish: Documentary about an orca that killed a human at Seaworld.  Uncomfortable viewing that didn't really click with me.

« Reply #6891 on: 09 January, 2017, 07:45:06 pm »
Revisiting Jim Jarmusch. The guy is a humane genius. Getting a bit camp in his old age, which is no bad thing.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6892 on: 09 January, 2017, 09:40:41 pm »
Deadpool.

It blew its wad in the first sequence.

Kick-Ass did it much better.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #6893 on: 10 January, 2017, 02:15:58 am »
Finished The Man in the High Castle 2 (set in 1960s, where the outcome of WW2 was very different) on Amazon prime.*

Thought provoking, well acted (Rufus Sewell is great), and gripping...  Season 2 probably better than 1, I thought. 

*Prob worth the free month trial for prime, if you have the option...

I agree. Much more engaging than Season1

« Reply #6894 on: 10 January, 2017, 07:12:46 am »
Manchester by the Sea.  Excellent.
Move Faster and Bake Things

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6895 on: 10 January, 2017, 07:27:35 am »
Youth great film, well acted if a little bizarre in places.  Wife didn't like it at all.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6896 on: 10 January, 2017, 08:29:31 am »
Hunt for the Wilderpeople Absolutely stunning. And hilarious ...and occasionally emotional. Don't really know how to describe this, so just watch it!.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hunt_for_the_wilderpeople/

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6897 on: 10 January, 2017, 08:39:01 am »
NightWatch (Nochnoy Dozor) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403358/?ref_=nv_sr_6) - I watched this, first time, back in 2008 or so, and really enjoyed it.  I noticed it on NetFlix, last night, so decided to watch it again.  It stands up to re-watching and makes me want to see DayWatch again (the follow-up, which _isn't_ on NetFlix :( ).

If you like films that don't sugar coat things but have touches of humour (the wagon they use is good for a laugh, an old Ural that can alledgedly go >120Kph!!!) and/or like vampire films, you should watch this.  One warning, though, if you don't like subtitles films, forget it!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6898 on: 10 January, 2017, 05:57:36 pm »
I watched Fury the other night. Hadn't seen it in a while - really liked it. I have no idea how realistic it was, but the duelling tanks scene was amazingly tense.

Last night went to see A Monster Calls. Absolutely incredible. It's beautiful, tragic, magical and brilliantly acted.
Then I got home, spent five minutes talking to my wife about it and realised that I'd missed part of the sub-text which had me welling up all over again.

Really brilliant movie. Sigourney Weaver is excellent, Felicity Jones is great, but the kid (played by Lewis MacDougall) is a stunning piece of acting.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #6899 on: 11 January, 2017, 01:30:37 pm »
I watched Fury the other night. Hadn't seen it in a while - really liked it. I have no idea how realistic it was, but the duelling tanks scene was amazingly tense.

Really not very.

Tanks being used to attack anti-tank guns being especially rubbish tactically (the clue is in the name anti-tank gun).

There are other things like why don't the US have any air or artillery support which they had in abundance at that point in time?  Simple dialogue might have explained that away but they didn't bother, preferring to get all rapey and have an immobilized tank wipe out at least an enemy company.  It reminded me of Sven Hassell for realism.