Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 963982 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7150 on: 25 February, 2017, 05:02:00 pm »
The Place Beyond the Pines on Netflix. Not really what it says on the tin, but not bad. I gave it 3/5.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7151 on: 25 February, 2017, 06:13:52 pm »
We watched The American last night. Dull and not very good. Shame.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7152 on: 25 February, 2017, 07:53:09 pm »
Captain America : World Police (I think that is what it is called)

Disappointed, not once did they do the secret signal, nor did they go to Durkastan!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #7153 on: 25 February, 2017, 08:45:02 pm »
Patriots Day

Not so much entertainment as a tribute or reminder of what happened in Boston.  As such it was well performed (with patchy moments) and gave an all too realistic view of events.  It didn't attempt an insight into what led to the atrocity or drove the perpetrators to any degree, apart from some brief dialogue in a hi-jacked car.  It didn't have that objective.

Worth seeing.   
Move Faster and Bake Things

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7154 on: 25 February, 2017, 09:47:05 pm »
The mistake wasn't this film, the mistake was to be "a HUGE fan of The Office".
The Office was a turd. A cringeworthy vehicle for a third rate comedian, held together by Gareth, Dawn, the other one and the large bloke. It didn't start a genre, it merely polished its own dolphin.

You clearly didn't get it.  That's OK.  Many people didn't get it.  It was supposed to be cringeworthy, Brent is cringeworthy.
The BAFTAS and Golden Globe people got it though.. in spades.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7155 on: 26 February, 2017, 09:35:30 am »
Nah. I got it.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #7156 on: 26 February, 2017, 01:25:45 pm »
We were going to watch John Wick 2 but it turned out that we'd not seen the first, so we watched that instead. Good fun in a murderous way, harks back the high death-count action movies of the 80s and 90s. Keanu should get some better fighting movies on though.

Again, the Russian mob shown up to little wussycats with tattoos. These people couldn't extort dinner money from a playgroup. Let's get some proper villains.

« Reply #7157 on: 26 February, 2017, 01:29:32 pm »
Youth without youth - well that was strange. Lovely sound track though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7158 on: 26 February, 2017, 02:41:39 pm »
Behind the Candelabra

I've never been that interested in Liberace and I'm not that interested in Michael Douglas doing a bad Liberace impression while being buggered by Matt Damon. My wife wanted to watch it though. It was ok, if you like that kind of thing.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #7159 on: 27 February, 2017, 08:37:47 am »
The Monuments Men

Curiously disjointed and slight, it was inoffensive enough. My wife enjoyed it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #7160 on: 27 February, 2017, 09:20:13 am »
Captain America : World Police (I think that is what it is called)

Disappointed, not once did they do the secret signal, nor did they go to Durkastan!!!

Team America:  World Police.

I discovered once that it annoys Americans if you like this film.  :-)

There are three types people in this world...   :D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7161 on: 27 February, 2017, 10:32:38 am »
Missus has us rewatching Trapped. Can't get used to seeing Theis Birk Larsen captaining a ship: they must have great prison rehab services in Denmark.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7162 on: 28 February, 2017, 12:36:20 am »
A Matter of Life and Death

David Niven is, well, David Niven. Marius Goring is a superb doctor. Everyone else is all stiff upper lip and RP. All very 'Charles & Fiona'

F: I know!
C: I know you know!
F: I know you know I know . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #7163 on: 28 February, 2017, 10:09:56 am »
A Matter of Life and Death

David Niven is, well, David Niven. Marius Goring is a superb doctor. Everyone else is all stiff upper lip and RP. All very 'Charles & Fiona'

Did Powell and Pressburger ever make a duff film? I particularly like "The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp" and "Black Narcissus".
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

fuzzy

« Reply #7164 on: 03 March, 2017, 08:23:02 am »
Well the comics are very earnest if you have a look.

I liked Watchmen and Dark Knight. They were good stories. At least, I thought so when I read them, back when I was about 15.

My favourite superhero comic story ever was Zenith from 2000AD, which was both exciting and funny. Shame they never made a film of that. (Or maybe it's not such a shame, given the likely mess they would have made of it.)

If anyone out there in comic/ graphic novel land (recent or cough old) deserves a film then it is Harry Harrison's 2000AD utilised anti hero 'Slippery' Jim DeGriz AKA The Stainless Steel Rat.

resurrecting an old theme, having just finished Pterry's Interesting TimesI have just realised that the movie moguls are missing a franchise. The Silver Horde would be an ace film.

"Whut?"

"HE SAID THE SILVER HORDE WOULD BE AN ACE FILM!"

"Lovemaking A!"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7165 on: 03 March, 2017, 08:40:14 am »
Crawled out the end of Trapped with the impression that everyone in Iceland must be stoned to the eyeballs on caffeine. Didn't keep count, but it seemed that every time anyone called on anyone else coffee was offered. Roughly 10 times / episode, making 100 for the whole serial and averaging once every 5 minutes.

« Reply #7166 on: 03 March, 2017, 06:14:09 pm »
Junglebook. I held off on this one as I loved the Disney original (and will frequently put the soundtrack on), but the new one is actually really good!. I might even watch it again.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7167 on: 03 March, 2017, 07:56:02 pm »
Crawled out the end of Trapped with the impression that everyone in Iceland must be stoned to the eyeballs on caffeine. Didn't keep count, but it seemed that every time anyone called on anyone else coffee was offered. Roughly 10 times / episode, making 100 for the whole serial and averaging once every 5 minutes.

Was that the one with the ferry and the blizzard? I missed the last episode.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7168 on: 04 March, 2017, 08:14:08 am »
That's the one.  It's on Netflix.

spindrift

« Reply #7169 on: 04 March, 2017, 06:51:12 pm »
We watched The American last night. Dull and not very good. Shame.

I liked that film, quite slow-paced but it draws you in, unlike the Le Carre adaptation Corbin did which was a snooze-fest.

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates is very childish, puerile and crude. I loved it.

caerau

« Reply #7170 on: 04 March, 2017, 07:26:24 pm »
Logan.

Excellent, possibly even outstanding .  There is a reason why this seems to be getting rave reviews both from critics and fans alike.

Not the usual X-Men film -  very much from the Dark Knight stylee - or maybe even more dark than that.

Highly recommended from me anyway, though with the caveat that I could watch X-men films all day  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7171 on: 04 March, 2017, 07:29:49 pm »
Logan.

I kept seeing posters for that on the side of buses with the strapline "His time has come" and assuming it was a reboot of Logan's Run.  Took over a week before I spotted the claws.

caerau

« Reply #7172 on: 04 March, 2017, 07:58:54 pm »
That's weird, only after I saw it did it occur to me that I might have confused it for Logan's run once  :-D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7173 on: 04 March, 2017, 08:02:06 pm »
Double bill yesterday evening of films named after the main character:
Florence Foster Jenkins
John Wick

Tbh, they didn't have much in common apart from that. FFJ was moderately amusing, and somewhat poignant, but ultimately, having never even heard of her before the film came out, I struggled to care. Hugh and Meryl both give excellent performances though.

Didn't really know what to expect from John Wick but I enjoyed it immensely. As someone who has recently become a dog owner, I can understand why Keanu was so pissed. Alfie Allen is impossible to take seriously as a villain though.

I understand there's now a John Wick 2. I'm surprised. Is there anyone left for him to kill?

After taking the aforementioned dog out for a walk this afternoon, we watched Summertime together. It's not really suitable for puppies though - lots of gratuitous nudity and softcore lezzing. Refreshingly 70s attitude to pubic hair though. It's about a country girl, Delphine, who moves to Paris in 1973 where she meets a group of women's lib activists and falls for one of them, Carole. Delphine's dad has a stroke so she has to go back home to help out on the farm, and persuades Carole to come and stay with her. Much of the film is about Delphine teaching Carole the ways of Sappho, much to Carole's boyfriend's chagrin, and the pair of them trying to keep it a secret from Delphine's unenlightened mum. Good if you like that kind of thing. The dog slept through it.

This evening I have watched I Saw The Light. Tom H does a passable impression of Hank Williams but otherwise it's a bit dull. Dog was more interested in his dinner.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #7174 on: 04 March, 2017, 10:41:23 pm »
Stargate the fillim. Which I've not seen in donkeys years but have watched loads of the tv series in the interim. I thought it held up rather well on the whole.

It got me looking at the tv series on Amazon, found a boxset of all ten seasons and two feature length episodes/films (of the main series rather than the spinoffs) for £64 which I thought was rather bargainous.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1