Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 964238 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8100 on: 06 August, 2018, 12:29:29 pm »
I thought that Prof Brian Cox was the science advisor on DI?

That was Sunshine.  His attempts to disown it are thwarted by Robin Ince on every other episode of TIMC.

Knowing this greatly enhances your enjoyment of the afore-mentioned movie disaster.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8101 on: 06 August, 2018, 01:20:04 pm »
Over the weekend we watched the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series.  Having recently watched The Bridge IIII I'm now trying to imagine a sequel with Saga Nøren and Lisbeth Salander.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8102 on: 10 August, 2018, 01:42:48 pm »
Lion - Wow, fantastic. My wife and I were in bit watching it.  Highly recommended, and free on Prime just now

ian

« Reply #8103 on: 14 August, 2018, 10:20:52 am »

Chris S

« Reply #8104 on: 16 August, 2018, 09:07:03 pm »
OMG! fboab, WHAT DID YOU JUST MAKE ME WATCH?!  :o

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8105 on: 23 August, 2018, 10:39:42 am »
The Last Jedi

Dull, isn't it?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8106 on: 23 August, 2018, 12:28:35 pm »
OMG! fboab, WHAT DID YOU JUST MAKE ME WATCH?!  :o

We're parachuting in an emotional support team...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #8107 on: 26 August, 2018, 03:00:42 pm »
Just finished "Kidnap" with Halle Berry

Shan't say anything else, except that for a large part of the film, she is the only actor, which is difficult to carry off, but it works. You really feel for her at times

In some ways a formulaic film, and some of the twists are obvious, and the end is not what I expected
(click to show/hide)

However I did thoroughly enjoy it as a good miserable wet Sunday Afternoon film

I would recommend

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #8108 on: 26 August, 2018, 03:07:02 pm »
Anita and Me. I'm now reading the book. 

« Reply #8109 on: 26 August, 2018, 03:27:00 pm »
We had a film night, and watched 'District 9'. I'd missed it, and had only ever read a review. It owes a lot to Verhoeven's Robocop, and Starship Troopers, but it has extra resonance following what's happened since then.

Chris S

« Reply #8110 on: 26 August, 2018, 08:28:12 pm »
We had a film night, and watched 'District 9'. I'd missed it, and had only ever read a review. It owes a lot to Verhoeven's Robocop, and Starship Troopers, but it has extra resonance following what's happened since then.

Too much vomit for my liking. Fboab likes it.

« Reply #8111 on: 26 August, 2018, 09:14:19 pm »
Not sure about the Verhoeven links, given that what happens to the protagonist owes more to Cronenbergian (sic) body horror.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8112 on: 27 August, 2018, 03:25:31 pm »
Les Aventures Extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec. 1910, Egypt, tomb robbery, Paris, pterodactyl ressurection... Zany. Fun.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8113 on: 27 August, 2018, 05:37:54 pm »
Bonkers.  I love that film.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8114 on: 27 August, 2018, 05:51:54 pm »
I really enjoyed the recent series about fillum genres by Mark Kermode (co-written by Kim Newman): https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bbn5pt

The least satisfying ep was the one on Horror. I admit I had pre-conceptions ... there was a lot of interesting analysis, but I cannot say it made me want to watch any of the films mentioned, outside of the ones I've already seen! Is horror just the Marmite of film genres?? (It's odd that although I'm a fan of Kermode, he is a self-confessed Horror fanatic and nerd.)

As an aside, I noticed that the featured films I've seen (and enjoyed) were not IMO "proper" horror; examples being Silence of the Lambs & Blair Witch Project. Clear-cut counter-examples being Texas Chain-Saw Massacre, or various Dracula movies with Peter Cushing. Am I making a purely self-justifying distinction here??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #8115 on: 28 August, 2018, 12:06:27 pm »
The Third Man.  I hadn't watched it for a few years and had forgotten how good it is.  Still my favourite Western  ;)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #8116 on: 28 August, 2018, 12:15:22 pm »
The Third Man is my favourite film.  I bought a new DVD a coule of months ago and am saving it for Christmas!  I also love "Odd Man Out" by the same director, Carol Reed.  Do you know it?

Peter

« Reply #8117 on: 28 August, 2018, 12:30:34 pm »
Not sure about the Verhoeven links, given that what happens to the protagonist owes more to Cronenbergian (sic) body horror.

RoboCop. If you check out Blomkamp’s previous work (I’ve linked to it just below), you’ll see that RoboCop appears to be more or less his formative text. Now there’s a Paul Verhoeven movie that’s truly worth emulating (to me, it remains his best), and you can see its influence in the scenes where Wikus climbs inside, operates, and all but fuses with that walking killer auto-gun robot. Like Peter Weller’s RoboCop, he becomes a haunting and even poignant man-machine.

https://ew.com/article/2009/08/18/district-9-playing-spot-the-reference-and-checking-out-neill-blomkamps-roots/

Obviously that was written a long time before July's announcement that Blomkamp would be directing a Robocop sequel.

« Reply #8118 on: 28 August, 2018, 09:18:07 pm »
Mama Mia Here We Go Again. At the invitation of family members with littl’uns. Not terribly good. I was expecting more laughs, but once they had shoe-horned the backstory into the narrative, there was precious little room for jokes. A funny thing though, I was crying almost all the way through it. I’ll cry at anything. Then, when I went back to look through reviews to see whether i should have enjoyed it or not, I saw that Mark Kermode gave it 5 stars, and cried all the way through it too.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8119 on: 28 August, 2018, 09:29:17 pm »
Just finished "The Cruel Sea", which I haven't seen for yonks.  For a new ship, Saltash Castle isn't half rusty.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #8120 on: 29 August, 2018, 08:46:45 am »
The Third Man is my favourite film.  I bought a new DVD a coule of months ago and am saving it for Christmas!  I also love "Odd Man Out" by the same director, Carol Reed.  Do you know it?

Peter

Not seen that one but will watch to for it.  My copy of The Third Man has a 90 minute accompanying documentary - which one day I will get around to watching as well!  Sometimes knowing too much about a film can spoil the pleasure.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

essexian

« Reply #8121 on: 29 August, 2018, 09:17:50 am »
So... from "The Third Man" to..... "Minions"   :facepalm:

With CBH out shopping, I thought I would catch up on some films I had "taped" from a while back and as I wanted a laugh, I though.... "Minions". Having loved the Despicable Me Series...…………..yes, yes, I know they are for kids...… I thought I would give this spin off a go.

Frankly, I wished I hadn't bothered as it wasn't very good.

ian

« Reply #8122 on: 29 August, 2018, 06:47:42 pm »
The Last Jedi

Dull, isn't it?

It was so unmemorable I can't even recall a single scene.

« Reply #8123 on: 29 August, 2018, 07:09:44 pm »
I haven't watched it yet, as I only ordered a DVD of In the Heat of the Night a couple of days ago ( I couldn't find it on Netflix :(  )
There's not much to say that anything is wrong with that film.

Superb screenplay.
Fantastic performance from Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger.
Ray Charles delivering the tunes produced by Quincy Jones.

What's not to like?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8124 on: 29 August, 2018, 07:15:41 pm »
I haven't watched it yet, as I only ordered a DVD of In the Heat of the Night a couple of days ago ( I couldn't find it on Netflix :(  )
There's not much to say that anything is wrong with that film.

Superb screenplay.
Fantastic performance from Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger.
Ray Charles delivering the tunes produced by Quincy Jones.
In the Heat of the Night gets a namecheck in The Lion King.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)