Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 964353 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8850 on: 18 April, 2020, 03:10:24 pm »
We watched Apollo 13 the other day.

Nailbiting stuff, even with the accuracies and knowing what happened.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8851 on: 19 April, 2020, 07:20:42 pm »
I don't watch that many films because in general IMO they're mostly not that good. However, having caught some Mark Kermode program last night about heist films with Babydriver and the gun going off in time with the guitar riff of Hocus Pocus by Focus, I want to watch that now,
But not the whole film, just the silly musical bits.

It's on the Sony Movies channel on Sunday. The opening sequence with the John Spencer is probably the best bit in the film.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't even have that channel on my box, but now I do  :thumbsup:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8852 on: 19 April, 2020, 07:30:19 pm »
Crip Camp (2020)

Not what I was expecting.  I had no idea that anyone - even hippies - would be making film[1] like that in the early 70s.

It's also well worth watching as a potted history of the USAnian disability rights movement.

Highly recommended.

[1] Well, video.  Which is equally impressive in itself...  This article refers.
Possibly relevant that it was East Coast doesers rather than West Coast hedonists?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8853 on: 19 April, 2020, 10:55:48 pm »
A Town Called Alice.

😢
"Il veut moins de riches, moi je veux moins de pauvres"

ian

« Reply #8854 on: 20 April, 2020, 11:02:53 am »
Re-inspired by the Marvel serial-watchers, we binged on the Infinity War ending over the weekend. Still rather brilliant (and could have so easily fallen into a Transformerish mess).

Remember how much I enjoyed Captain Marvel too. Should have gone back and re-watched Ragnorok. I think I'm the only person who found Black Panther a bit meh (it's not bad, just a bit vanilla).

fuzzy

« Reply #8855 on: 20 April, 2020, 03:04:16 pm »
Re-inspired by the Marvel serial-watchers, we binged on the Infinity War ending over the weekend. Still rather brilliant (and could have so easily fallen into a Transformerish mess).

Remember how much I enjoyed Captain Marvel too. Should have gone back and re-watched Ragnorok. I think I'm the only person who found Black Panther a bit meh (it's not bad, just a bit vanilla).

Not only you. I couldn't manage the whole film. Gave up after 30- 40 minutes.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8856 on: 20 April, 2020, 03:20:55 pm »
I liked Black Panther first time round though I didn't think it quite lived up to the hype. Will let you know what I thought second time round when I get there...

Some way to go, though. Last night's instalment was Thor: The Dark World (2013) - easily the biggest disappointment so far. Well made but all a bit flat. Hemsworth is properly phoning it in.

Dark elves. Pffft.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #8857 on: 20 April, 2020, 03:47:12 pm »
Yeah, The Dark World was one the duller ones, Ragnorok firmly makes up for it with plenty of giddily coloured mayhem and a very funny script.

Captain Marvel was squashed a bit between those two epic cinematic bookends, but I still snorted my drink over the CD loading scene. It's very facial expression driven, and Brie Larson does an exceptional oh really face.

I'm still not sure why her parents named her after cheese though.

« Reply #8858 on: 20 April, 2020, 04:24:26 pm »
Fly Away Home (1996)

I thought this one was a lot older than it was, but that's probably because it was still about 1991 in Canada.

Another film to file under "CGI is hard, let's just build a real one."

*HONK*
My kids loved that film. When they acquired step-siblings, and we all lived on a barge, they insisted that their siblings be introduced to it.

So, we are sitting on barge, gently rocking; part way through the film, at some scene on the farm, the youngest step-child bursts out "I wish we lived somewhere interesting".
As one, everybody turned to look at him, looked around at the interior the barge, looked at each other and decided not to say anything.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

« Reply #8859 on: 22 April, 2020, 11:37:02 pm »
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

This is a good one. It's waaaay too long though and starts to drag a bit in the last 40 minutes. I knew the identity of the Winter Soldier long before the reveal - there's a fairly big clue early on. Maybe that's why it dragged - it's all a bit predictable. Some good fighty stuff though.

Good to see that Peggy Carter lived long enough to see Captain America come back from the dead. Also kind of sad though.

Another thing I liked was seeing Jenny Agutter kicking ass, even if... <spoiler redacted>

Also liked the smouldering sexual tension between Steve and Natalia. Or is it Harry and Sally?

Probably could check this easily enough if I could be bothered, but am I right in thinking that Nick Fury's epitaph is a nod to Pulp Fiction? That's a nice touch. I do like the humour in these films.

ian

« Reply #8860 on: 23 April, 2020, 09:56:13 am »
The Ezekiel verse, yeah, it is. Well spotted.

I miss Agent Carter (the TV show), not sure why it disappeared, it was a lot better than the Marvel dirge that Netflix keep shovelling out (I never did get to the end of Luke Cage, ffs, it's supposed to be thrilling and not paced like a three-legged marathon).

I think you have Guardians of the Galaxy next, still one of my faves.

citoyen

« Reply #8861 on: 23 April, 2020, 10:00:59 am »
I think you have Guardians of the Galaxy next, still one of my faves.

Yep. Started watching it last night but was too tired (Winter Soldier drained me). I very much liked the first 20 minutes though!

citoyen

« Reply #8862 on: 24 April, 2020, 09:25:41 am »
Guardians of the Galaxy

Yep, I'm with ian on this one. Thoroughly enjoyable from beginning to end. Made me laugh out loud several times. Great fighty stuff.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #8863 on: 24 April, 2020, 09:35:08 am »
Top Secret! (1984) which was great and I commend it to you all.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #8864 on: 24 April, 2020, 09:41:44 am »
Top Secret! (1984) which was great and I commend it to you all.

Oh yes, we watched that for the first time recently and it was absolutely fantastic.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ian

« Reply #8865 on: 24 April, 2020, 10:13:12 am »
Guardians of the Galaxy

Yep, I'm with ian on this one. Thoroughly enjoyable from beginning to end. Made me laugh out loud several times. Great fighty stuff.

The sequel is also very good. Hopefully, they'll finally get to the third.

You have a couple of movies to go, but the scene in Infinity War where Thor meets the Guardians is wee-leakingly hilarious.

rob

« Reply #8866 on: 24 April, 2020, 10:50:23 am »
Knives Out a couple of nights ago.

Decent whodunnit with some laugh out loud moments.   Beats Miss Marple.

citoyen

« Reply #8867 on: 24 April, 2020, 02:27:22 pm »
Guardians of the Galaxy

The sequel is also very good. Hopefully, they'll finally get to the third.

I commented to a colleague this morning that I thought GotG was the film Star Wars could have been. And I understand he meets his father in the sequel...

Will there be annoying teddy bears in vol 3?

Talking of Star Wars, I just remembered something that occurred to me while watching Winter Soldier, which is the way they ticked the Fatal Flaw(?) trope* with the helicarriers by leaving the weak spot in an easily accessible spot on the underside, in a Death Star stylee. What is it about the people they employ to design these things? Do you have to be a complete idiot to get the job?

There's also quite a bit of Being Caught Monologuing in all these films (used to great comic effect in GotG).

*Kim, what's the correct name of this trope, please?

ian

« Reply #8868 on: 24 April, 2020, 04:25:59 pm »
It's a good point, GotG really is a better version of Star Wars. Hopefully, there's enough fur in v3 with Rocket's homicidal raccoon. We can also hope Groot has cleaned up his foul language as it's unsuitable for younger audiences.

You'd think after the first couple of Deathstars they'd have learned to specify 'no obvious design flaws.'

rob

« Reply #8869 on: 24 April, 2020, 07:39:20 pm »
To be fair Rogue One does give you the answer to at least one of those questions.

citoyen

« Reply #8870 on: 24 April, 2020, 11:25:09 pm »
Avengers: Age of Ultron

A mixed bag. Lots of good stuff, mostly entertaining and often funny (Hemsworth get the best laughs), but it's far too long and the plot is a garbled mess. How can a film well over two hours long feel so rushed? And yet at the same time, it dragged in places... On the plus side, I'm a big fan of James Spader and he was a great choice for Ultron.

« Reply #8871 on: 24 April, 2020, 11:34:24 pm »
Ragnarok

Lots of fun. In fact I think it's one of my favourites from the MCU.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

citoyen

« Reply #8872 on: 25 April, 2020, 01:29:44 pm »
Ant-Man

So good. So very very good. I remember some here being a bit scathing when it came out. What are you guys on? This is exactly what a superhero film should be in my book. Fun, exciting, just the right level of peril.

Paul Rudd is surprisingly good as an action hero.

Loved it.

citoyen

« Reply #8873 on: 25 April, 2020, 01:35:27 pm »
Ragnarok

Lots of fun. In fact I think it's one of my favourites from the MCU.
Yep, one of my faves too. Looking forward to seeing it again, but this time with the backstory filled in.

« Reply #8874 on: 25 April, 2020, 10:32:17 pm »
We've just watched The Tree of Life.

Please will someone explain it to me.