Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 964407 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #525 on: 20 August, 2010, 06:34:56 pm »
Death Note (on Film 4 the other night)
Pen Pusher

« Reply #526 on: 20 August, 2010, 07:17:47 pm »
Transporter 3, which although a fairly violent film, at least does this in a fairly cleanly goody beats up baddies way, most of the time.

It also includes a bit where Frank is cycling a bike in the way he normally drives a car, ie incredibly fast and somewhat irresponsibly!  (It's only a film, please don't have a stroke about it :)).

I do quite like the way that this sort of anti-hero does what he does incredibly competently and according to his own set of moral standards and rules (which he frequently bends and occasionally breaks).
Actually, it is rocket science.

simonp

« Reply #527 on: 22 August, 2010, 01:39:28 am »
Road Trip. Note quite so thought provoking as Moon. But a better choice for having on in the background whilst I wrestle code into shape.

And the snake feeding scene is brilliant, though I don't reckon the mouse thought much of it. Was it faked, though?

Clandy

« Reply #528 on: 22 August, 2010, 07:25:46 pm »
It has been out for a couple of years now but yesterday I watched Cloverfield on the recommendation of a friend.

After what felt like an hour the 'story' finally got going. The characters were all hideous, completely unbelievable: big monster that eats people over there? Then lets all run towards it… the monsters like dark places? Hey, I've got a great idea! Lets walk through unlit subway tunnels… etc.

The entire cast was so irritating I ended up rooting for the monsters and cheering whenever a character met their demise.

Not recommended. Unless you enjoy really bad films.

« Reply #529 on: 22 August, 2010, 08:13:33 pm »
Death Note (on Film 4 the other night)

Great film  :thumbsup:

« Reply #530 on: 22 August, 2010, 08:40:27 pm »
I started watching Cloverfield a while back, but like you found the characters so utterly irritating and the story dragged on so with no revelations, that I just got fed up and stopped watching it.

It takes a lot for me not to finish a film or book, it's only ever happened a couple of times in both cases.

Chris S

« Reply #531 on: 22 August, 2010, 08:47:43 pm »
Transporter 3, which although a fairly violent film, at least does this in a fairly cleanly goody beats up baddies way, most of the time.

Is it about a bridge in Wales?

« Reply #532 on: 22 August, 2010, 11:11:17 pm »
Is it about a bridge in Wales?

Not exactly.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #533 on: 22 August, 2010, 11:28:25 pm »
Finally got round to watching Slumdog Milliner this evening.

I thought it was a brilliantly well-made film, great storytelling, but very hard viewing, deeply unpleasant at times, quite harrowing. I'm astonished that it could ever have been described as a "feelgood movie".

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #534 on: 22 August, 2010, 11:30:32 pm »
Finally got round to watching Slumdog Milliner this evening.

Yup, twas a great fillum. But I don't remember anything about hats.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #535 on: 23 August, 2010, 12:31:36 am »
It's all in the host's pronunciation. "Who wants t'e a millin-ah!"

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #536 on: 23 August, 2010, 12:48:00 am »
Quantum of Solace. I continues to like the new Bond.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #537 on: 23 August, 2010, 11:04:49 am »
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo  (Swedish version).  Enjoyed. 
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #538 on: 29 August, 2010, 01:50:24 pm »
In Bruges - last night on the telly. Very good. Excellent dialogue and great cinematography. Colin Farrell redeems himself after his terrible turn in Alexander.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #539 on: 29 August, 2010, 04:37:12 pm »
in Bruges is on tape for tonight, looking forward to it.

I have just accidentally watched the Venice canal chase from Moonraker. dear Lord - I always loved the humour in the Bond films, but were they always that cheesy? Visibly speeded up action, gondola-turned-hovercraft in St Mark's square ... the Craig movies start to look good again ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ed_o_brain

« Reply #540 on: 29 August, 2010, 04:54:26 pm »
Disney's Cars.
As much as I hate seeing cars personified, quite enjoyed it. Kid's certainly did.

Zoidburg

« Reply #541 on: 29 August, 2010, 05:03:57 pm »
in Bruges is on tape for tonight, looking forward to it.

I have just accidentally watched the Venice canal chase from Moonraker. dear Lord - I always loved the humour in the Bond films, but were they always that cheesy? Visibly speeded up action, gondola-turned-hovercraft in St Mark's square ... the Craig movies start to look good again ...
The ideas mill had seriously run low by then.

They just kept going back to the Thunderball format with the big frogman battle - except the shoot out was on a huge submarine eating oil tanker, or a space station.

If you are an evil henchman in a private army or a navy commando then you are not going to live to see the closing credits.

I am now watching Moonraker with childish glee.

:facepalm:

The set design for the spacey bits is fantastic though.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #542 on: 29 August, 2010, 05:59:54 pm »
Just seen "Shutter island" I found it surprisingly good

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #543 on: 29 August, 2010, 08:28:09 pm »
In HMV a few days ago I found a film called "The Big Red One," a film by Samuel Fuller from 1980, which has been restored to its shooting script version - I get the impression that the release version was significantly cut.  Lee Marvin as a grizzled sergeant with history dating to WWI, shepherding four rookies (including a post-Star Wars Mark Hamill) in the US 1st Infantry Division through Algeria and the Kasserine Pass, Sicily, Normandy Omaha Beach and then through Belgium and finally into Czechoslovakia.  A recurring theme throughout is whether 'killing' can be different from 'murder?'

Apart from matters of pace and timing (which are largely fashion in the film industry), a number of things struck me.  The episodic nature of the film (it crosses 1918, and then WWII from the North African landings onwards) reminded me of All Quiet On The Western Front, as it's a story mainly about surviving what happens, rather than being part of something.  Private Ryan owes a lot to this film, but more pointedly the dramatisation of Stephen Ambrose's book Band of Brothers appears to have drawn on it too.  There's much in the film that is clearly directly from Fuller's own experience:  A Sicilian boy doing a deal with the GIs, trading knowledge of a hidden artillery piece (turns out to be a tank) for a decent burial for his mother; a Belgian woman spotting an infiltrator from something as simple as the way he holds his knife whilst eating, losing a squad member to a sniper who turns out to be a child, and the liberation of Flossenburg.  Other episodes are well known in more general histories, and are included (I guess) so that the roadmap is complete.

Some points are laboured, and whilst the cast aren't all brilliant, Marvin is very good.  It's worth seeing.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #544 on: 30 August, 2010, 08:46:10 am »
'American Gangster'- I thought it was quite good, I've never seen Denzel Washington play that violent a role before. Russell Crowe was meh.

'Centurion' - waste of money and I wish I had borrowed this from the library for free! Wonderfully shot but the script was awful.

« Reply #545 on: 30 August, 2010, 11:00:42 am »
Underworld - utter tosh, but more entertaining than what had been done to The Dark Is Rising on another channel.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #546 on: 31 August, 2010, 10:53:17 am »
Scum.  All a bit meh by 2010 standards.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Clandy

« Reply #547 on: 31 August, 2010, 11:18:52 am »
Watched The Book Of Eli yesterday. Never again. Pseudo religious claptrap.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #548 on: 02 September, 2010, 04:15:41 pm »
Finally saw Avatar on DVD at a friend's. Technically brilliant, but otherwise a disappointment :-\.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #549 on: 04 September, 2010, 08:33:53 pm »
The Reader

Starring Kate Winslet & Ralph Fiennes.
Hadn't read anything about it....so was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.