Author Topic: route London-Dover  (Read 4645 times)

xxx

route London-Dover
« on: 13 April, 2013, 08:44:07 pm »
Hi is this a good short fast cycling route between London city - Dover?
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/london-dover-4

THX

Re: route London-Dover
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2013, 09:07:44 pm »
Only if you like riding on main roads with cars and trucks flying past you at 60mph+ !!!

Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2013, 02:03:15 pm »
Wot he ^^^ sed.

You could make that route worse only by taking your bike on the motorway.
There are a number of alternatives which, while not as direct, offer some of the prettiest parts of Kent.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2013, 02:49:25 pm »
A far more scenic, gentle and pleasant route can seen here, most of which was enjoyed by a few of us a couple of years ago (although we just went to Folkstone).

It's longer, but you're much more likely to still be alive at the end.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2013, 02:50:52 pm »
Adam's written what I was thinking of..... happy daze  :)

Martin 14

• People too weak to follow their own dreams, will a
« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2013, 02:57:14 pm »
Hell no, if only, I could then ride from Gillingham to Crayford each day to aid training. Avoid the A2 its just an extension of the M2/M25!
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2013, 03:11:20 pm »
The A2's actually ok in the wee small hours, up to the point where it collects everything which has comes off the M2 near Faversham - that's the point at which to ditch the A2.

We used the A2 on the Ramsgate special FNRttC and a couple of weeks later I used it on the Boom! Boom! Boom! ride. Both rides passed without incident (other than some explosions).

EDIT: Can't believe that was just over a year ago - feels more like three.....

xxx

« Reply #7 on: 14 April, 2013, 08:20:32 pm »
Hi thanks for all the reactions, but i don't live in the UK and don't know the traffic .... I knew it was/will be a road with a lot of traffic
I want to ride the road at on a saterday morning is this "better/more easy"?
I just want to have a short/fast/save road between the city to catch the ferry to France...

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2013, 09:31:44 pm »
For my sins I used to cycle between London and Canterbury along the A2 quite a bit one summer (early 1990s).
The route at the end of the summer was nicer.

By the end I was doing Shooters Hill (A207), then via Dartford/Gravesend (A226) until onto the A2 where there is an M2 to take the traffic - it's OK that bit).

Then at the end when the traffic comes back I'd take the next L after the roundabout via Blean and Dunkirk to avoid a bit more, then into Canterbury through Harbledown, as you do.

After Barfrestone (famous church), from your route, go vi Lower Eyethorne and strought through Eyethorne towards A256 but take a right and cross over it, where it says Friends Wood.  Then West Langdon and East Langdon to Guston (over the Jubilee Way) and past the castle, then at the bottom go towards the sea and turn left for the docks.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:04:51 am »
I'd be tempted to take a train and arrive at Dover unfrazzled, ready for a lovely ride in France!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:43:25 am »
I'd be tempted to take a train and arrive at Dover unfrazzled, ready for a lovely ride in France!

Riggers, I'd bet you'd be tempted to stop off at Dover for a quick visit to the Blue Oyster Bar too but that is not necessarily good preparation for hours sitting in the saddle.  :demon:

H

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #11 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:47:35 am »
You bet.

"Is that our ferry sailing away?"

"Who's for another one?"
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #12 on: 07 August, 2013, 02:34:32 pm »
It looks as if Kristof/xxx did take the A2, and it didn't do him any harm.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

xxx

« Reply #13 on: 25 August, 2013, 07:51:05 pm »
hi thanks for all the reactions, and i have to say its a big road with a lot off traffic .... but if i look after the ride ( london-istanbul) is this part very cycling friendly.
I was just looking for a fast road to take the ferry by 13,00h, (arrive at 12,30)