Author Topic: Scorchio...  (Read 45757 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Scorchio...
« Reply #300 on: 18 July, 2022, 05:57:13 pm »
I see that Cavendish came close to another record... 37.5°C today.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #301 on: 18 July, 2022, 06:42:21 pm »
I'm out, watering my climbers.
It is hard work

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #302 on: 18 July, 2022, 07:21:15 pm »
I tried the Beeb advice of closing all the windows and blinds in the morning to trap the cool air. which sort of worked. It's still a bit cooler than outside but very sticky. Brought the bunnies into the kitchen mid afternoon they are obv not evolved to deal with this heat as they would be underground in the wild.

The camp bed under the stars tonight beckons!

« Reply #303 on: 18 July, 2022, 07:21:54 pm »
I led a 9am, 38 mile Saturday club ride, did an 8am 28 mile hilly ride on Sunday, and today,
I stayed indoors and completed half of an 8k interval session on the erg rower. Despite having
a fan directly in front of me, it was too hot in the curtain-drawn room for me to complete the
full workout.

ian

« Reply #304 on: 18 July, 2022, 07:37:13 pm »
Did a quick water of the garden, as the tall dead things are testament to the years in which I failed in my watering diligence. I note the hose attachments are finding yet more ways to soak the operator as much as the plants. I would have left it till later, but I'm already harbouring two dozen Finest Italian mozzie bites and look lumpier than a Lion Bar.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #305 on: 18 July, 2022, 07:42:31 pm »
I tried the Beeb advice of closing all the windows and blinds in the morning to trap the cool air. which sort of worked. It's still a bit cooler than outside but very sticky. Brought the bunnies into the kitchen mid afternoon they are obv not evolved to deal with this heat as they would be underground in the wild.

The camp bed under the stars tonight beckons!

All blinds closed here all day, only problem with my office is that one window has a blind, the other is the back door with full height glass.  It's a small-ish room, approx 2m x 3-4m
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #306 on: 18 July, 2022, 07:49:00 pm »
30.6 degrees in the remote command centre. Still, not quite as bad as the base on Venus.

Just got up and discovered the joys of having a damp, sweaty arse. Probably more unpleasant for the chair.
Yep, it's definitely Ventisit weather.  I'd probably have borrowed the seat pad from one of the bikes if I weren't flopped on the dining room bed with a book and a headache.

I suspect the CO2 concentration in here is a bit high, but it's a good 10C cooler than outside.

« Reply #307 on: 18 July, 2022, 08:15:12 pm »
Temperatures dropping and a feeling of cool air swirling around my toes.  A sticky night of little sleep and another 14 hours of self-basting awaits...  🤔 🥵

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #308 on: 18 July, 2022, 08:22:37 pm »
Doesn't feel much cooler here just now.

Mind you we are sitting in the garden, which has a huge wall that acts as a solar radiator  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #309 on: 18 July, 2022, 08:56:47 pm »
Down to 30°C now. Still 27°C inside.

« Reply #310 on: 18 July, 2022, 09:02:56 pm »
Down on the Hampshire coast, it reportedly hit 30C in Southsea. Last night's forecast on the Met Orifice site was a few degrees low, so they've jacked up the numbers for tomorrow morning-mid-afternoon by a couple of degrees. ;D

The thermometers I have in the back room upstairs which serves as an office currently are averaging 29C between them, but the humidity here has been lower than usual for the past few days, so it feels more tolerable than it was last week.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #311 on: 18 July, 2022, 09:09:31 pm »
Peaked 26C inside and 37.5C outside

« Reply #312 on: 18 July, 2022, 09:11:42 pm »
SW Midlands - 37 degree today, currently still 30 outside.
Last night was cooler and I slept in a tent in the garden, but tonight is warmer so I will put the sleeping mat down in the kitchen which is the coolest room. Upstairs is very hot being partially in the roof.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #313 on: 18 July, 2022, 09:18:06 pm »
29.4 in my living room, I opened the patio door as I thought I might get a breeze  I was wrong.
Ventured into the shed briefly earlier, 38.9
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #314 on: 18 July, 2022, 09:22:38 pm »
As it's still 28 outside, and the bedroom around 32 and not much chance of the fans shifting that, we'll be sleeping in the living room tonight on the camp beds (could have used my office, but that still hovering truculently in the lower 30s). I'm not sure it's much cooler in there but it's a big space with wooden floors and the patio doors can be left open to invite cooler night air in. Probably bears too.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #315 on: 18 July, 2022, 09:22:56 pm »
Outside temperature just dropped below 29C, so I've opened the upstairs windows for some fresh diesel exhaust.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #316 on: 18 July, 2022, 09:43:52 pm »
I see that Cavendish came close to another record... 37.5°C today.

Cavendish is only about 8 miles from me, but the highest outside temperature I recorded today was 33.9C. Indoors, thanks to getting up early and closing all the windows and curtains, I managed to keep it down to 22C in the sitting room and 25C in the kitchen. Tomorrow looks like being a bit warmer, but as it's very dry heat at the moment it's not unbearable. Having experienced 50C+ in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Dubai, I have no wish for it to get any warmer! Right now it's 26.5C outside and very pleasant sitting on the patio.

« Reply #317 on: 18 July, 2022, 09:46:53 pm »
It's counter-intuitive, but you should actually turn the heating ON.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #318 on: 18 July, 2022, 10:01:35 pm »
My trick is to have a cool (not cold) shower, no toweling, go to bed dripping wet.  Works nicely.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #319 on: 18 July, 2022, 10:02:31 pm »
A mere 22.6 outside now.  All windows and doors open.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #320 on: 18 July, 2022, 10:04:23 pm »
It's levelled off at 26 outside.  Forecast suggests it might reach 23 at 4am.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #321 on: 18 July, 2022, 10:10:08 pm »
Last time I was there I appeared to be the only one mad enough to be driving a convertible with the roof down :D

On a dark desert highway
Cool wind in my hair

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #322 on: 18 July, 2022, 10:11:18 pm »
I am 30 yards from a (small, rather re-engineered) river, lined with trees.  This may be helping.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #323 on: 18 July, 2022, 10:31:11 pm »
It is now cooler outside than in. 26 v 27.

I'm thinking of getting up at about 5am and going to meet the high tide for a swim. And then hunker down in the house.

Dez & Alex drove all the way from Mansfield for a hospital appointment for Dez tomorrow at 9am. He was just pulling up outside our door when his phone rang. It was someone from the hospital postponing his appointment because they've all got covid.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #324 on: 18 July, 2022, 11:07:02 pm »
Too hot even to contemplate having a mug of tea after me dins.  No idea what the temp. is in the Great Hall; BBC app reckons 25 outside, falling to 21 by the time I get woken up by the bloody pigeons who I hope get heatstroke & birb-flu >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime