Author Topic: A ride from Plymouth ---any suggestion  (Read 1072 times)

A ride from Plymouth ---any suggestion
« on: 15 January, 2014, 05:33:52 pm »
I`m in Plymouth in a couple weeks and have a full day for riding---don`t know area very well at all.

Had quick play on map-my ride etc and come up with this http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3913235 as a possible route; ie Plymouth > Princetown> M`hampstead > Gidleigh> Okehampton> Tavistock > Plymouth; I can recall year ago area around Chagford / Gidleigh as being very lovely but VERY hilly

So anyone improve on this route, or is it an OK hilly day ride ? Might even get a DIY AAArty out of it !!

thanks  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: A ride from Plymouth ---any suggestion
« Reply #1 on: 15 January, 2014, 05:41:04 pm »
I would recommend a route that heads out to Colebrook, Sheepstor and Princetown via Plympton and a return from Yelverton that uses the cycle route to return to the Barbican via Saltram.

From Princetown you could extend it by going out past Dartmeet to return on the Postbridge/Mortonhamstead road.

H

« Reply #2 on: 15 January, 2014, 06:26:21 pm »
Up and around the Moor is always a winner but you should not discount the beauty of a ride along the south coast. One of my favourites is Plymouth to Kingsbridge then Slapton before a bacon butty in Dartmouth. Could extend into Torbay here or just return via Gara Bridge. If after a longer ride then link this to the Moor via Paignton, Newton Abbot, Bovey Tracey and Haytor before returning to Plymouth via Princetown. Alternatively continue through Torbay to Teignmouth and then 'home'. Potentially beautiful views but note: Devon is very awfully hilly indeed!
If your day here is at a weekend I'd be happy to offer a guided tour :)

« Reply #3 on: 15 January, 2014, 07:34:29 pm »
Might even get a DIY AAArty out of it !!

Almost, you'll have difficulty not doing so! Not many of the roads stay in the valleys or on the ridges.

Hummers

« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2014, 11:22:20 am »
Dartmoor is the best option IMHO and south west of Moretonhamstead, the climbs tend to be reasonably sustained but not too steep.

East of Dartmoor, the coastal regions and South Hams are comprised of repeated small (and not so small) steep climbs that can prove challenging if you plan a route avoiding the often v busy main roads. Unfortunately these single track adventures are also not necessarily free from White Van Man (I speak from experience) who uses these vans to avoid the main drags.

H

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #5 on: 17 January, 2014, 10:38:05 am »
Through the South Hams on the lanes to Kingsbridge then up to Ashburton and pick up the road that goes through Hexworthy to Princetown.  Endless possibilties but try to avoid the A379 unless v. early in the morning.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #6 on: 18 January, 2014, 01:46:08 pm »
Have offered the OP a guided tour of the South Hams, with bacon butties at Dartmouth.  Open to anyone who wants to tag along.  Approx 120km, 8am start.  PM for start location - secret squirrel :)

Hummers

« Reply #7 on: 19 January, 2014, 05:25:02 am »
 :thumbsup:

H